[comp.music] Whats is a 'Quick Disk' or something sounding like that.?

febb@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (06/04/91)

Hello all

Does any of you knows what is a "Quick Disk" or something that sounds like
that ?
This is for a friend that asked me (by phone), to buy him that 'quick
disk' he also mentioned the numbers 2 8" (inches?).
I have no idea what is that and where to find it. Of course this had to do
with musical instruments and/or a musical group he belongs to.
Now, I am far from the country, so I can't call him again to ask him
again about what he wants.

Somebody mentioned to me thatmaybe he wants a 'QD drum'. Is that possible?
If so, what is that again? where to buy it? what about the 2 8" ?

Sorry, but I am tottaly ingnorant about electronic music instruments and stuff
but any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Oh, one last thing, please respond to the newsgroup comp.music

Thanks again.

Phillip.
febb@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu

pirk@dev0d.mdcbbs.com (06/04/91)

In article <44105@netnews.upenn.edu>, febb@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu writes:

> Does any of you knows what is a "Quick Disk" or something that sounds like
> that ?
>
> Phillip.
> febb@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu
	This is a 2 1/8" format that was popular on older music equipment. It
should be avaliable at most music stores that sell keyboards or Roland
equipment.
--

.Steve Pirk.......midit.....Voice: (714) 952-5516.........................
..McDonnell Douglas M&E..Internet: pirk@dev0d.mdcbbs.com..................

gt7865a@prism.gatech.EDU (Comer,Matthew Brian) (06/04/91)

I believe that what you are referring to is a smaller version of the
standard 3.5 inch floppy disk. I recall that some musical instruments
and/or sequencers used these. As to where you might buy them, who knows!?!?
You could always go to the manufacturer of the instrument. I seem to recall
that Roland corp. used these type of disks for a while.

--
Comer, Matthew Brian
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt7865a

oking@smiley.uucp (Osborne I King) (06/04/91)

In article <30552@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt7865a@prism.gatech.EDU (Comer,Matthew Brian) writes:
>I believe that what you are referring to is a smaller version of the
>standard 3.5 inch floppy disk. I recall that some musical instruments
>and/or sequencers used these. As to where you might buy them, who knows!?!?
>You could always go to the manufacturer of the instrument. I seem to recall
>that Roland corp. used these type of disks for a while.
>

>--
>Comer, Matthew Brian
>Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt7865a
>Internet: gt7865a@prism.gatech.edu

I have a KORG SQD-1 (or somthing) that also uses them darn disk!!

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (06/07/91)

In article <44105@netnews.upenn.edu> febb@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu writes:
>Hello all
>
>Does any of you knows what is a "Quick Disk" or something that sounds like
>that ?
>This is for a friend that asked me (by phone), to buy him that 'quick
>disk' he also mentioned the numbers 2 8" (inches?).
>I have no idea what is that and where to find it. Of course this had to do
>with musical instruments and/or a musical group he belongs to.
>Now, I am far from the country, so I can't call him again to ask him
>again about what he wants.
>
>Somebody mentioned to me thatmaybe he wants a 'QD drum'. Is that possible?
>If so, what is that again? where to buy it? what about the 2 8" ?
>
>Sorry, but I am tottaly ingnorant about electronic music instruments and stuff
>but any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Quick Disks are a floppy disk format.  The disk double sided and is 2.8".
They were used in some samplers and typewriters.  They cost about $30.00
for a box of ten.

My Akai S612 sampler uses them.

I buy mine from a place called SoundSations!, you can order the disks
by phone.  The toll free number is (800)422-0575 or (313)885-1539.

>Oh, one last thing, please respond to the newsgroup comp.music
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Phillip.
>febb@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu
Good luck.

BTW - The only connection I have with SoundSations! is that I'm a
satisfied customer.
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */