[comp.music] doing midi on a Unix box

jansen@archone.tamu.edu (Mark Jansen) (05/16/91)

We are doing some work where we want to get MIDI into a unix box, more
particularly a silicon graphics machine.

Are there any commercial convertor boxes available to do such a thing?

Are there any unix drivers out there that will handle the midi baudrate?

We see that the issue of disparate baud rates as being the main problem.
Any help on this matter would be appreciated.  Seems to me I remember
some discussion about the different UARTS in different PC's in this
usergroup sometime in the past.

Thanks
Mark Jansen				               jansen@archone.tamu.edu
Visualization Laboratory,Department of Architecture    ph:409-845-0199
Texas A&M University,College Station, TX, 77843

fredg@marob.uucp (Fred Goldrich) (05/24/91)

In article <16262@helios.TAMU.EDU> jansen@archone.tamu.edu (Mark Jansen) writes:
>We are doing some work where we want to get MIDI into a unix box, more
>particularly a silicon graphics machine.
>
>Are there any commercial convertor boxes available to do such a thing?

	Alas, I have no answer, but only a somewhat related question.

	I am running a 486 machine with a SoundBlaster board.  When I boot
it up under DOS, the SB works flawlessly.  However, I usually run Interactive
UNIX on it -- does anyone know how I can access the SB in that mode?  (And
preferably not under VP/ix.)

	Thanks in advance for any help!

		-- Fred Goldrich
--
	Fred Goldrich
	{att,philabs,rutgers,cmcl2}!phri!marob!maestro!fred

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (05/30/91)

In article <283D0BEF.6122@marob.uucp>, fredg@marob.uucp (Fred Goldrich) writes:
%%
%% 	I am running a 486 machine with a SoundBlaster board.  When I boot
%% it up under DOS, the SB works flawlessly.  However, I usually run Interactive
%% UNIX on it -- does anyone know how I can access the SB in that mode?  (And
%% preferably not under VP/ix.)

I have sourced CT-VOICE.DRV and also have the source for
a simpler driver that plays straight 8-bit data (I don't
have the SDK).

As the driver used both interrupts, I/O and DMA, you would
probably need a couple of weeks to create a UNIX device
driver.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

oostend@cs.eur.nl (Eric S.H. Oostendorp) (06/05/91)

The CT-sh*t driver of Creative Tech. checks IRQ and/or DMA channels but
the clue is that is is turning them off and not turning them on again if
the IRQ isn't the SB channel searched for !! VERY bad programming I say
and maybe that is the cause of your problem ( don't know anything about
your UNIX story but if it's using some IRQ or DMA then that's it ... )

Eric Oostendorp
Ultraforce Software Developer

oostend@cs.eur.nl

brians@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Brian Smith) (06/06/91)

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) writes:
>In article <283D0BEF.6122@marob.uucp>, fredg@marob.uucp (Fred Goldrich) writes:
>>
>> 	I am running a 486 machine with a SoundBlaster board.  When I boot
>> it up under DOS, the SB works flawlessly.  However, I usually run Interactive
>> UNIX on it -- does anyone know how I can access the SB in that mode?  (And
>> preferably not under VP/ix.)

If you install the VP/ix configuration package, you can install the SB as a
DDA.  Unfortunately, this only works for the FM chips, which aren't really
that spiffy.  If you can't figure out how to do this, send me email.

>I have sourced CT-VOICE.DRV and also have the source for
>a simpler driver that plays straight 8-bit data (I don't
>have the SDK).

>As the driver used both interrupts, I/O and DMA, you would
>probably need a couple of weeks to create a UNIX device
>driver.
Yep, I just wrote one.  The hardest part was getting any documentation.  I
finally had to spend many $'s buying manuals from AT&T.  The SoundBlaster
manuals, while not really complete or grammatical sufficed.  The DSP stuff
was easy, the FM chips were more complicated.  I don't have the C/MS chips.

You can get the driver in comp.sources.misc, I just posted it there.  It
also includes some user apps to play and record samples.  CMF files are
really buggered, so I only included a program which mostly interprets them.
I don't think that CMF files are important anyway.  It is mainly there to
show how to drive the FM chips.  Axel-f plays OK.  There is no support
for the "midi" port on the SB.  I don't have the equipment to test it.

Brian

/---------------------------------------|------------------------------------\
| #include <std_disclaim.h>             | Inet: brians@cs.pdx.edu            |
| #include <human_errors.h>             | UUCP: tektronix!pdxgate!brians     |
|---------------------------------------|------------------------------------|
| Behold the warranty.. the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.|
\----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (06/07/91)

In article <2810@pdxgate.UUCP>, brians@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Brian Smith) writes:

%% You can get the driver in comp.sources.misc, I just posted it there.  It
%% also includes some user apps to play and record samples.  CMF files are
%% really buggered, so I only included a program which mostly interprets them.
%% I don't think that CMF files are important anyway.  It is mainly there to
%% show how to drive the FM chips.  Axel-f plays OK.

Watch your mouth! The CMF format is the same as the Midifile track format,
except for the header, containing instruments' description. And (someone said)
the Midifile format has been conceived on Usenet... :-)

--

brians@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Brian Smith) (06/10/91)

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) writes:

>In article <2810@pdxgate.UUCP>, brians@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Brian Smith) writes:

>%% You can get the driver in comp.sources.misc, I just posted it there.  It
>%% also includes some user apps to play and record samples.  CMF files are
>%% really buggered, so I only included a program which mostly interprets them.
>%% I don't think that CMF files are important anyway.  It is mainly there to
>%% show how to drive the FM chips.  Axel-f plays OK.

>Watch your mouth! The CMF format is the same as the Midifile track format,
>except for the header, containing instruments' description. And (someone said)
>the Midifile format has been conceived on Usenet... :-)

OK, OK, so the CMF format is only partially buggered. :-)  The technical
reasons are ambiguity.  The midifile format is great, as far as I'm
concerned, but Creative Labs made a poor specification of their adaption.
Most CMF files use the 6 voices and 5 rhythm sound mode of the Sound
Blaster.  In the technical documentation, the 5 rhythm sounds are
suppossed to be the last 5 channels.  But they aren't!  I haven't figured
out *where* the division lies, or if there is one.  Also, some CMF files
have undocumented control changes.

Brian