[comp.music] Finale for PC Windows 3.0

jimmyc@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (James Choi) (06/07/91)

In a recent issue of PC magazine, there was a, what I call, rave review of
Finale music printing software for PC Window 3.0.

I would like to hear from those who actually used the product.  With its
MIDI interface, I was lead to believe that the Finale is an idea music
writing, developing, prototyping tool.  Is that true?

Thanks in advance
James Choi

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun6.204723.23084@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> jimmyc@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (James Choi) writes:

>In a recent issue of PC magazine, there was a, what I call, rave review of
>Finale music printing software for PC Window 3.0.
>
>I would like to hear from those who actually used the product.  With its
>MIDI interface, I was lead to believe that the Finale is an idea music
>writing, developing, prototyping tool.  Is that true?

Although FINALE is a good product, I think the review was
extraordinarily biased, on the one hand (note the "circle 61 on
Reader Service Card" -- a.k.a. "this is an advertiser"), and
extraordinarily naive on the other.  FINALE problems were left out
of the review, and some items in the diatribe against SCORE in the
shaded extra box are patently untrue.

Additionally, the typesetting sample from Wagner had features that
were typographically WRONG.  (It would be nice if persons
reviewing such software had some experience in music typography
and editing.)

Nothing against CODA and their products, but *as a review* the
review in PC Mag left much to be desired.

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu