[comp.music] midi programming

freeze@thebox.rain.com (eric grigsby) (06/12/91)

I want to write a program that will allow me to talk directly through my
midi card to my instruments. What information do I need to gather and where
can I get it. My ultimate goal is to build my own sequencer but I have to
start somewhere. Any and all infromation will be appreciated.!!! Thanks
Outta Here :)'

--
TheBox Public Access Xenix - Gresham OR +1 503-669-7291 +1 503-669-7395

nico@Micrognosis.Los-Gatos.CA.US (Speaker-to-Workstations) (06/13/91)

In article <NDJe41w164w@thebox.rain.com> freeze@thebox.rain.com (eric grigsby) writes:

>I want to write a program that will allow me to talk directly through my
>midi card to my instruments.

why not!

>What information do I need to gather and where
>can I get it.

speaking from my experience doing just the same, i found that the only
thing you really need is a copy of the MIDI spec. there is a MIDI
association or mediating body in the states but i can't remember its name.
if you can't find one, i can fax or mail you mine, though it's a bit
old... ;-). it says V1.0 on the cover i believe and doesn't have the
latest in system exclusive sample dump messages or MIDI timecode messages.

the spec specifies the nature and format of all MIDI messages used in the
MIDI protocol, as well as all the electrical details of the MIDI
interface. with that, and loads of imagination, the sky's the limit!

good luck,
nico
--
 nico@micrognosis.los-gatos.ca.us

 "Don't try to out-weird me, I get stranger things than you free
    with my breakfast cereal" - Z. Beeblebrox