[comp.music] About PC music software---catch up

nimin@loanshark.cs.indiana.edu (min ni) (06/15/91)

	I tried the Newsgroup comp.synth but it says:

loanshark% rn comp.synth

No articles under restriction.
Restriction comp.synth removed.

******** End of newsgroups--what next? [npq]

	So I've got to post it here, sorry !

	Recently I frequently see the request for PC music s/w info in Newsgroup
comp.music, so I responded that I happen to have designed such a PC s/w, and it
seems to me that people are quite interested, and somebody asked me to post it
here for more details, so here it is:

                           Copyright (C) 1991 by Ni Min.

                    All Rights Reserved. Produced in IN. U. S. A.

	This Intelligent Musician ( IM ) program is designed to practice music
on computers compatible with IBM PC.  It helps users to input, output, edit,
combine, and invent melodies.  There is also a dancing function in IM, which
allows users to design gestures of the dancer on screen and dance with the
melodies.

	In the program there is a timbre design function which let users design
up to 100 timbres. As the ordinary computer only hasa simple speaker, the timbre
designed wouldn't be as good as expected, however it does sounds different form
the simple sound without using the timbre function and it is fun. IM makes use
of ordinary PC inner speaker, so it doesn't need any other sound equipment.

	IM can hold as many as 100 tempos and 900 melodies. These 900 melodies
are divided into 9 kinds of melodies. They are:Classic, Folk, March, Rock, Jazz,
Serenade, Popular, Waltz and Other. It is just for the convenience of the users,
actually you can put any melody in any category. But in the kind of tempo you
can only input tempos.

	One significant aspect of the IM program is that it allows user to input
output and edit melodies in both the five line and the simple note form. That
means users can interchange between five line form and simple form. So through
IM, users can interpret melody from five line to simple form and vise verse.

	Another new aspect of IM is that users can input up to 100 different
phonetic sounds. These sounds can be performed in the melodies which makes the
songs sound interesting.

	In every melody, there are several parameters to control speed, percent,
and the timbre to use. Speed is expected to be from 20 through 160.  Percent is
from 10 through 100. Percent means fulfillment of every single note.  This is
designed to prevent the dragging of sound.  If the percent of a melody is 60
percent, then during the first 60 percent of time a note is played and during
the other 40 percent of time it keeps silent.  So if the percent is set to 10,
then the melody sounds jumping. The suggested percent is 70.

	Besides, IM can produce new melodies according to your model.  You can
choose an existing melody and can at one time invent up to 99 melodies. As for
every kind of melody, IM can hold 100 pieces ofmusic, so if you have one melody
in one of the category, then you can invent 99 more. If you already have, for
example, 20 melodies, then you can invent 80 more ( at most ) melodies.  The
melodies invented are very similar to your model, the number of notes in new
melody is the same as that of the model, and the durations are alsothe same, but
the notes have changed their frequencies.

	Uesrs can use the arrow keys to choose the notes they need from a board
located at the lower part of the screen, listen to every note separately or, as
they like, from the beginning up to where they so far have edited.  IM can print
the melodies out to Leser Jet Printer in 6 different sizes as you like.

	If you are interested in IM, please let me know.  You will have three
choices:

  <1> Ask me to E-mail you the sample program which will run only 30 times.
      You may down load it to a disk and run it on IBM PC compatibles.

	FREE !

  <2> Send me a Ckeck or money order of $10 ($12 for out side U.S.), I will then
      mail you a disk which contains the sample program and will run 30 times.

  <3> Send me a Ckeck or money order of $66 ($70 for out side U.S.), I will then
      mail you a disk which contains the most recent version of IM.

	My post address is:

				Ni  Min
				P.O. Box 1563
				Bloomington, IN. 47402-1563

Thanks !

Ni  Min

jk87377@cc.tut.fi (Juhana Kouhia) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.025307.19670@news.cs.indiana.edu>
nimin@loanshark.cs.indiana.edu (min ni) writes:

>	I tried the Newsgroup comp.synth but it says:

I have feeling that your education place doesn't teach how to use
Usenet news; that's shame. First you don't know how to search the
right group and you don't know the net policy recarding commercials.

Shall I remind you what you wrote...
From: nimin@loanshark.cs.indiana.edu (min ni)

	Hi, I happen to have such a PC software which is designed for
music score and strange sounds which you can input by your need. This
program can hold up to 1,000 tempo & melodies. If anybody is
interested send me a mail, I'll give you more details.

So, you didn't mention that your program is commercial; you can freely
advertise your program via e-mail if you like.

>	So I've got to post it here, sorry !

Why you had to post it here? Because several people requested it?
Of course people requested to do so because you didn't say that your
program is commercial.

>	If you are interested in IM, please let me know.  You will have three
>choices:
>
>  <1> Ask me to E-mail you the sample program which will run only 30 times.
>      You may down load it to a disk and run it on IBM PC compatibles.
>
>	FREE !
>
>  <2> Send me a Ckeck or money order of $10 ($12 for out side U.S.),
>      I will then mail you a disk which contains the sample program
>      and will run 30 times.
>
>  <3> Send me a Ckeck or money order of $66 ($70 for out side U.S.),
>      I will then mail you a disk which contains the most recent
>      version of IM.

Sounds like commercial; are you really sure you can do this kind of
things here? Ask your Newsmaster more info how to behave in the net.
(Ckeck?? What is it? :)

Juhana Kouhia