[comp.music] What has happened to this newsgroup?

danny@moria.cs.su.OZ.AU (Danny Yee) (06/11/91)

What has happened to this newsgroup?
Has comp.music.theory been created without my noticing?

Where are you Eliot Handelman and Stephen Smoliar?

	Danny Yee - danny@cs.su.oz.au
Who doesn't own a PC and couldn't distinguish MIDI data and APL code

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (06/11/91)

In article <2503@cluster.cs.su.oz.au>, danny@moria.cs.su.OZ.AU (Danny Yee) writes:
> What has happened to this newsgroup?
> Has comp.music.theory been created without my noticing?
>
> Where are you Eliot Handelman and Stephen Smoliar?

Funny, I think someone once asked "What has happened to this newsgroup?" when
Eliot Handelman and Stephen Smoliar *were* posting.    :-)  You
can find their contributions with frequency on rec.music.classical
now.

Comp.music, I believe (and I'm no official representative), is nominally
devoted to matters pertaining to research involving both computers and music.
Some of the subjects which get posted here are about synthesis
algorithms, non-commercial software synthesis packages, music notation
software, online musical databases, research in music cognition,
music & auditory perception.  (Questions about commercial
music software and hardware are more appropriate on rec.music.synth,
but sadly, many people post here on this subject anyway.)  One category
of discussion that goes on here from time to time are debates about
the musical-philosophical implications of these subjects, and
this was much of the bread and butter of EH's and SS's postings.
For the time being they seem to be using rec.music.classical as a
forum for this, which I think is a good choice since it fits in
with so much else going on there, and they get alot more interaction
from other readers (whereas on comp.music the dialogue tended to
be limited to about three people).

--
Greg Sandell
sandell@ils.nwu.edu

lwyse@copley.bu.edu (Lonce LaMar Wyse) (06/12/91)

danny@moria.cs.su.OZ.AU (Danny Yee) writes:

 >  What has happened to this newsgroup?
 >  Has comp.music.theory been created without my noticing?

I don't think so, but good idea!  This group seems to have become a
redundant path for rec.music.synth.

- lonce

ISSSSM@NUSVM.BITNET (Stephen Smoliar) (06/12/91)

In article <2055@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell)
writes:
>In article <2503@cluster.cs.su.oz.au>, danny@moria.cs.su.OZ.AU (Danny Yee)
>writes:
>> What has happened to this newsgroup?
>> Has comp.music.theory been created without my noticing?
>>
>> Where are you Eliot Handelman and Stephen Smoliar?
>
>Funny, I think someone once asked "What has happened to this newsgroup?" when
>Eliot Handelman and Stephen Smoliar *were* posting.    :-)  You
>can find their contributions with frequency on rec.music.classical
>now.

Actually, I have been pretty quiet on rec.music.classical since my change of
address.  For one thing my resources have not yet caught up with me, and for
another the conversation has been relatively dull.  Eliot seems to have
restricted himself to a few amusing pot-shots, and I have been desperately
trying to catch up on the opera scene in London.  Eliot appears to be more
active on sci.virtual-worlds, which I have just started to read since we are
doing some of that work here in Singapore.

>Comp.music, I believe (and I'm no official representative), is nominally
>devoted to matters pertaining to research involving both computers and music.
>Some of the subjects which get posted here are about synthesis
>algorithms, non-commercial software synthesis packages, music notation
>software, online musical databases, research in music cognition,
>music & auditory perception.  (Questions about commercial
>music software and hardware are more appropriate on rec.music.synth,
>but sadly, many people post here on this subject anyway.)

This always seems to have been the case.  It may be that there are readers who
do not have access to rec.music.synth.  It may be that many readers do not KNOW
about rec.music.synth.  When you have anarchy, it is hard to implement very
much control (not that I am at all disposed to giving up the anarchy, which,
all things considered, tends to take care of itself quite nicely).

>  One category
>of discussion that goes on here from time to time are debates about
>the musical-philosophical implications of these subjects, and
>this was much of the bread and butter of EH's and SS's postings.
>For the time being they seem to be using rec.music.classical as a
>forum for this, which I think is a good choice since it fits in
>with so much else going on there, and they get alot more interaction
>from other readers (whereas on comp.music the dialogue tended to
>be limited to about three people).

As I said, the dialog has pretty much died out for now.  comp.music would
certainly be the better forum, since contributions to rec.music.classical
do not get incorporated into the Music-Research Digest, thus allowing other
contributors to enter the fray (which was what happened during the last rather
contentious round until the Digest editor decided that enough was
enough . . . probably with some justification).  Meanwhile, I do
not think that comp.music.theory will solve the problem.  The Society
for Music Theory has now tried to initiate its own (members only) mailing
lists;  and the traffic has been pretty light.  Until more people who are
serious about music theory realize the power of electronic mail and bulletin
boards, we can probably expect computer discussions to focus more of technical
computer questions than on broader musical ones.  (Shall I put on my flame suit
now?)

Stephen W. Smoliar
Institute of Systems Science
National University of Singapore
Heng Mui Keng Terrace, Kent Ridge
SINGAPORE 0511

BITNET:  ISSSSM@NUSVM

"He was of Lord Essex's opinion, 'rather to go an hundred miles to speak with
one wise man, than five miles to see a fair town.'"--Boswell on Johnson

pirk@dev0d.mdcbbs.com (06/13/91)

In article <LWYSE.91Jun11144651@copley.bu.edu>, lwyse@copley.bu.edu (Lonce LaMar Wyse) writes:

> danny@moria.cs.su.OZ.AU (Danny Yee) writes:
>
>  >  What has happened to this newsgroup?
>  >  Has comp.music.theory been created without my noticing?
>

> I don't think so, but good idea!  This group seems to have become a
> redundant path for rec.music.synth.
>
> - lonce

	For me, this is the only access I have to this type of subject matter.
The NEWS system here is limited in disk space, and a request to get a feed for
rec.music.synth has been in for about 3 months.  Until we get it, I plan to
enjoy some of the discussions and comments made here.  The field of
computer/electronic music seems to broad to limit to just two(2) newsgroups.

Steve
--

.Steve Pirk.......midit.....Voice: (714) 952-5516.........................
..McDonnell Douglas M&E..Internet: pirk@dev0d.mdcbbs.com..................

sdpage@prg.ox.ac.uk (Stephen Page) (06/14/91)

In article <9106120249.AA20142@lilac.berkeley.edu> ISSSSM@NUSVM.BITNET (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
> When you have anarchy, it is hard to implement very
>much control.

Yes, indeed, the Usenet community is ungovernable, especially when it comes
to any suggestion about which is the most appropriate newsgroup for articles
on "hobby" topics. It has always completely astounded me how people can
honestly submit articles on amplifiers for sale (etc) to a newsgroup about
music RESEARCH...

> comp.music would
>certainly be the better forum, since contributions to rec.music.classical
>do not get incorporated into the Music-Research Digest, thus allowing other
>contributors to enter the fray...

Yes, there are a very large number of people who receive the Digest, and
only comp.music is passed on to these readers.

However, I would add that I am thinking of turning off this gateway, as
I am getting very fed up with throwing out messages on synthesizers.

What has happened to all the good people who promised summaries of articles
they had read, conference discussions, etc., on the original aims?

Stephen Page
Moderator, Music-Research Digest (and co-originator of this newsgroup)

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (06/14/91)

In article <1871@culhua.prg.ox.ac.uk>, sdpage@prg.ox.ac.uk (Stephen Page) writes:
> However, I would add that I am thinking of turning off this gateway, as
> I am getting very fed up with throwing out messages on synthesizers.

Sigh.  It would be very sad if this newsgroup went away, especially due
to the traffic from synth-heads.  I'm giving some thought to some grass-roots
action here.  Every synth posting I see (that doesn't belong under this
group's charter), I write back and ask them to post on rec.music.synth
instead, and if their site doesn't have it, complain to their SysAdmin!
Anyone want to join me?

> What has happened to all the good people who promised summaries of articles
> they had read, conference discussions, etc., on the original aims?

It's ironic.  You set up a newsgroup for researchers, but researchers
don't have a whole lot of time for the net.  I'll bet alot of us read
comp.music and have ideas but are too busy composing, experimenting, doing
DSP or whatever to draft a thoughtful posting.  Every day I see something
I'd love to followup on, but if I want to get my dissertation done by
December...
--
Greg Sandell
sandell@ils.nwu.edu

ISSSSM@NUSVM.BITNET (Stephen Smoliar) (06/15/91)

In article <2100@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell)
writes:
>In article <1871@culhua.prg.ox.ac.uk>, sdpage@prg.ox.ac.uk (Stephen Page)
>writes:
>
>> What has happened to all the good people who promised summaries of articles
>> they had read, conference discussions, etc., on the original aims?
>
>It's ironic.  You set up a newsgroup for researchers, but researchers
>don't have a whole lot of time for the net.  I'll bet alot of us read
>comp.music and have ideas but are too busy composing, experimenting, doing
>DSP or whatever to draft a thoughtful posting.  Every day I see something
>I'd love to followup on, but if I want to get my dissertation done by
>December...

Nevertheless, there are some of us out here who occasionally try to use the
bulletin board as a way to get things going on a topic for a paper or discover
that their contributions to a discussion might turn into such a paper.  Readers
of rec.music.classical know that a really fine discussion on issues of
aesthetics, general culture, and individual perception of "great music"
was flourishing there throughout a good piece of March and April.  Much
of that material deserves to find its way into the scholarly literature
some day.  So one answer to your question, Stephen, is that you are reading
the wrong bulletin board!

There is, however, another answer which you might not like so much.  That is
the reminder that we have HAD such discussions on recent articles by Otto
Laske and Mira Balaban.  These discussions were made rather colorful by the
particular approach taken by Eliot Handelman;  but I, for one, do my best not
to let the color of personal style interfere with the content.

(Eliot approaches with a sinister look in his eye.  Smoliar holds up a mezuzzah
surrounded by a wreath of garlic shouting, "Back, Eliot!  Back!  Back!)

There are really only two things which bothered me about that whole affair now
that I can look back on it with a bit of perspective.  One was that Laske
simply pulled out of the argument in what looked like a fit of pique.  I
think that, ultimately, this reflected more poorly on him than it did on
Eliot;  and I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to convey this
impression to Otto in a face-to-face conversation.  The other was that Balaban
never participated in all that argument about her own paper!  Given that she
has an active BITNET address, there was no reason for her to remain "on the
outside."  My attempts to question her on this matter never led to any
satisfactory response.

One final response, Stephen, is that many of those "good people" you would like
to have as contributors do not always have the computer availability which
seems to come so readily to the community of synthesizer hackers.  The Society
for Music Theory has instituted its own "members only" ListServer;  and both
the traffic and the overall population have been very low.  (Personally, I
am opposed to this effort to be so exclusive.  I realize it makes for an added
benefit for members, but the mass is still too low to be critical.  I would
rather see them pool forces with the appropriate material which shows up on
comp.music and rec.music.classical until the volume level starts to get a bit
more impressive.)  I also heard a report from the United Kingdom to the effect
that many scholars there are still not using computers for ANY purposes and
remain wedded to pen and ink as their primary tools even when the best of
computer facilities are available to them.

I guess I would summarize my advice as follows:  Do not set your expectations
too high because not everyone is as receptive to the new age of computers as
you are.  Nevertheless, there is plenty of good material out there, provided
you widen your search space a bit.  Finally, do not worry so much about matters
of "good taste," because people you use this particular medium of communication
tend to learn pretty quickly how to look out for themselves.

Stephen W. Smoliar
Institute of Systems Science
National University of Singapore
Heng Mui Keng Terrace, Kent Ridge
SINGAPORE 0511

BITNET:  ISSSSM@NUSVM

"He was of Lord Essex's opinion, 'rather to go an hundred miles to speak with
one wise man, than five miles to see a fair town.'"--Boswell on Johnson

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) (06/15/91)

The answer to that question is that the group has gotten more interesting
because of it's diversity.

In article <2100@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) writes:
>In article <1871@culhua.prg.ox.ac.uk>, sdpage@prg.ox.ac.uk (Stephen Page) writes:
>> However, I would add that I am thinking of turning off this gateway, as
>> I am getting very fed up with throwing out messages on synthesizers.

After all, hitting the "n" key is so very time consuming!

>Sigh.  It would be very sad if this newsgroup went away, especially due
>to the traffic from synth-heads.  I'm giving some thought to some grass-roots
>action here.  Every synth posting I see (that doesn't belong under this
>group's charter), I write back and ask them to post on rec.music.synth
>instead, and if their site doesn't have it, complain to their SysAdmin!
>Anyone want to join me?

Well, perhaps if you posted the charter regularly people would stay
closer to your original intent.  As it stands, a newcomer sees a
group called "comp.music", which would seem to invite discussion on
all topics concerning computers and music.  Synthesis is certainly
one of them.  Discussion of the best computer platforms for music
software and commercial music software packages would seem very
logical to someone who hasn't seen a charter to tell him otherwise.

>> What has happened to all the good people who promised summaries of articles
>> they had read, conference discussions, etc., on the original aims?

This sounds dangerously like a value judgement about the quality of
people who post about different subjects.  "Good people" post about
the mythical "original aims" and "Synth heads" are trespassing with
their discussion.

Folks, this is not a heavily posted group!  With between 10 and 25
postings a day, it really doesn't take much time to weed out the
articles that don't interest you.  I didn't see any complaints
about the perpetual "perfect pitch" thread (which quickly degraded
into a bragging session) that had nothing to do with computers and
music after the first few postings.  It seems that only certain
topics are offensive to you.  If it really is so important to have
an exclusive topic, than why not start up a new, moderated group
with a name that more accurately reflects your interests?

Synthesizers are tools that allow people to explore computer
generated music at it's most intimate level.  Sure, folks might
start out just playing back the preset sounds, but tools such
as patch editors allow them to learn about waveforms and envelopes
and all of the basic building blocks of computer generated music.
Many sequencer programs also include tools that invite experimentation
with algorithmic composition.  Perhaps by allowing the "synth heads"
to partake in the discussions, they will become interested in some
of the more "serious" topics that you are interested in, and perhaps
even you might learn how these tools can help you experiment with
your interests.

>It's ironic.  You set up a newsgroup for researchers, but researchers
>don't have a whole lot of time for the net.  I'll bet alot of us read
>comp.music and have ideas but are too busy composing, experimenting, doing
>DSP or whatever to draft a thoughtful posting.  Every day I see something
>I'd love to followup on, but if I want to get my dissertation done by
>December...

Are you saying that you'd rather see no postings at all rather than
postings you're not interested in?  When the traffic starts to
get out of control, you might have a beef, but for now it sounds
mostly like non-constructive, petty territorial griping.

Computers and music encompass a wide area.  By naming the group
comp.music you implicitly invited a wide range of discussion.  Why
not learn to appreciate and enjoy more of the aspects this involves
rather than get yourself all worked up about having your private
party crashed.
Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org>
Alcatel Network Systems, Raleigh, NC                    Delphi: JBWHIT

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (06/17/91)

In article <59924@aurs01.UUCP>, whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) writes:

> Well, perhaps if you posted the charter regularly people would stay
> closer to your original intent.  As it stands, a newcomer sees a

I think this would be a good idea.  A monthly "welcome to comp.music"
posting would be in line with what alot of other newsgroups do.  In
any case, Stephen Page, if you're reading out there, would you care
to post the charter for us all to read again?

> This sounds dangerously like a value judgement about the quality of
> people who post about different subjects.  "Good people" post about
> the mythical "original aims" and "Synth heads" are trespassing with
> their discussion.

> for now it sounds
> mostly like non-constructive, petty territorial griping.
>
> rather than get yourself all worked up about having your private
> party crashed.

I can see how this discussion may have touched a nerve.  rec.music.synth
has the word "rec" in it, while comp.music touts itself as a "research"
forum, the implication being that one's for kids, the other for adults.
One's serious, the other's not.  I assure you that I have no such class
distinction in mind.   Maybe the names of *both* groups need changing!

Rec.music.synth is a fine group.  If I could afford the MIDI gear right
now, I would become a synth-head too (I'm sorry if you think I use that
term derogatorily), and I'd go right to rec.music.synth to ask my
questions about sequencer packages, MIDI programming and so on.  It's
a great group for that kind of thing.  But then when I wanted to
read about announcements of conferences and descriptions of other
people's research, I'd go to comp.music...and I would still
be annoyed when traffic that looked just like rec.music.synth stuff
appeared there.  What's wrong with defining boundaries?

Another thing:  just because the matter hasn't "gotten out of hand"
yet doesn't mean it doesn't merit criticism.  Last week a friend of
mine said he quit reading comp.music because of the reasons discussed
so far.  So if some readership is being lost, that's a good reason
to complain.

--
Greg Sandell
sandell@ils.nwu.edu

danny@moria.cs.su.OZ.AU (Danny Yee) (06/17/91)

[Stephen Smoliar]
|Meanwhile, I do
|not think that comp.music.theory will solve the problem.  The Society
|for Music Theory has now tried to initiate its own (members only) mailing
|lists;  and the traffic has been pretty light.  Until more people who are
|serious about music theory realize the power of electronic mail and bulletin
|boards, we can probably expect computer discussions to focus more of technical
|computer questions than on broader musical ones.  (Shall I put on my flame suit
|now?)

I am not a musician and have done no academic study of music - I am just
an interested person, who probably wouldn't be admitted to the Society for
Music Theory.  Comp.music is/was my only access to discussion in the area,
as the music and CS departments here at Sydney don't seem to know of each
others existence.

As for rec.music.classical, the computer-ai-philisophical stuff does seem
to be distinct enough to warrant its own newsgroup.  Also the volume in
rec.music.classical is such as to make FINDING the stuff difficult.

I agree that it would be good if those seriously involved in music theory
took part in comp.music; not just because it would help them, but because it
would give the 'uninitiated' a chance to listen, to learn, and maybe to join in.

[Greg Sandell]
|Sigh.  It would be very sad if this newsgroup went away, especially due
|to the traffic from synth-heads.  I'm giving some thought to some grass-roots
|action here.  Every synth posting I see (that doesn't belong under this
|group's charter), I write back and ask them to post on rec.music.synth
|instead, and if their site doesn't have it, complain to their SysAdmin!
|Anyone want to join me?

There would seem to be two ways to go about 'reviving' comp.music.  One is
moving the synth people to rec.music.synth.  I suspect that they will
resurface later - I suspect that the problem is that the name 'comp.music'
is giving the wrong impression to people (I mean if comp.music isn't for
discussion of synthesisers then what on earth _is_ it for? :-).  The alternative
would be the creation of comp.music.theory.  I am prepared to help with
either but would prefer the latter.

There might not be much traffic in such a group, but at least when it did
come I might notice it!  Perhaps the Society for Music Theory would be willing
to feed us their mailing list?

[Stephen Page]
|What has happened to all the good people who promised summaries of articles
|they had read, conference discussions, etc., on the original aims?

Maybe they got scared away by all the hardware talk?

P.S. I don't have a copy of the comp.music charter could someone send me one?

P.P.S.  I know nothing about creating new newsgroups either.

-----
Danny@cs.su.oz.au - Danny Yee

	likes music, likes thinking -> reads comp.music