[comp.music] reality and computer sound was WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS NEWSGROUP?

maverick@mahogany.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) (06/14/91)

To reverse the decay of comp.music into rec.music.synth.backup, Greg
Sandell proposes chasing all the synth people away, and then says such
researchers as he have no time to contribute.  I think the latter is
the real problem -- the only way to influence the tone of the newsgroup
is by positive contributions.  So, since we haven't had any exciting
computer-music discussions lately, I'll do my feeble best to start one,
with a question that I know lots of people have opinions about.

What is the relevance of real sounds to computer music?  Gerald Balzano
took a radical position in his article "What Are Musical Pitch and
Timbre?" [Music Perception 3(3), Spring 1986]: briefly, that the
sensations of timbre are really a perception of the dynamic systems
underlying the production of the sound, and thus that electronic music
is doomed to sound "electronic", i.e. less than musical, unless we tap
such dynamic systems in synthesis.  I incline much more to the Jim
Randall-type position that if some piece of music sounds "merely
electronic", that's the fault of the composer or possibly the listener;
that nothing intrinsic to "a timbre" prevents our learning to make its
context make music of it.

Two pieces come to mind as touchstones for my own thought on this issue
-- Pauline Oliveros' (analog) piece "II of IV", which is very frankly
"just" the sound of a bunch of cheap oscillators and a tape delay, and
is fascinating; and Jonathan Harvey's (computer) piece "Mortuos
Plango", which uses Fourier analysis of a bell sound (and less
successfully, a voice) for its source material, moving intricately in
the domain between convincing bell tone and compilations of sine waves.
(Without computationally simulating a bell....)

Okay, enough maundering.  Help save comp.music -- pontificate today!

	Vance

dpm@hickory07.cray.com (Donald P. Maghrak) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.164758.23557@agate.berkeley.edu> maverick@mahogany.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) writes:
>To reverse the decay of comp.music into rec.music.synth.backup, Greg
>Sandell proposes chasing all the synth people away, and then says such
>researchers as he have no time to contribute.  I think the latter is
>the real problem -- the only way to influence the tone of the newsgroup
>is by positive contributions.  So, since we haven't had any exciting
>computer-music discussions lately, I'll do my feeble best to start one,
>with a question that I know lots of people have opinions about.

Hmmm...This is getting confusing.  The above paragraph implies that this is a
-computer music group- (which I thought it was).  I recently recieved mail
from a reader of this group claiming it was a -music theory group-.  If it
is indeed a -computer music group-, then a broad number of topics can and do
apply (among them topics of technical/hardware merit).  If it is a music
theory group, then topics of technical/hardware merit should be moved somewhere
else.  If the person who sent me mail intended to write -computer music theory-
the technical/hardware discussions should probably be held to a minimum but
not eliminated entirely.
I have noticed the increased number of hardware specific postings.  In fact I
made a followup post on one and was notified that this is a music theory group.
Though the subject line was on Guitar Sounds, the discussion at that
point caught my attention when it shifted to tuning's and what made something
sound the way it sounds.   I felt that this discussion had some merit's for
a computer music group.

what to do?

1) rename this group comp.music.theory
2) form a new group comp.music.technical
3) use rec.music.synth for technical/hardware topics.

>	Vance
Don Maghrak

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (06/16/91)

In article <152033.16945@timbuk.cray.com>, dpm@hickory07.cray.com (Donald P. Maghrak) writes:
> In article <1991Jun14.164758.23557@agate.berkeley.edu> maverick@mahogany.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) writes:
> >To reverse the decay of comp.music into rec.music.synth.backup, Greg
> >Sandell proposes chasing all the synth people away, and then says such
> >researchers as he have no time to contribute.  I think the latter is
> >
> Hmmm...This is getting confusing.  The above paragraph implies that this is a
> -computer music group- (which I thought it was).  I recently recieved mail
> from a reader of this group claiming it was a -music theory group-.  If it
> what to do?
>
> 1) rename this group comp.music.theory
> 2) form a new group comp.music.technical
> 3) use rec.music.synth for technical/hardware topics.
>
> Don Maghrak

A reminder:  the charter to comp.music says that it is devoted
to *research* questions pertaining to the use of computers in music.
(At least, this is what I posted previously, and Stephen Page did not
contradict this.)

I think Steve Smoliar's response and some of what I say incidental to
music theory in my Timbre Perception posting discourages option no. 1.
What is usually called music theory may not be inappropriate
material for comp.music, but the fact is, it's hardly ever
discussed here.  (The guy who said that comp.music is a -music theory
group- was off base.)

Option no. 2 is a little better, but it still neglects to indicate the
research premise of the group.  How about comp.music.research to get
to the point?

As far as option no. 3 is concerned, I think that technical/hardware issues
per se are by no means inappropriate topics for discussion on comp.music.
Discussions of synthesizer system architecture, or questions about
synthesis algorithms seem appropriate to me.  A query about the Wavestation's
MIDI System Exclusive message, however, does not...it belongs in rec.music.
synth.  Queries about DSP boards for Macs or SPARCs fall within the
cracks between these two groups, I think, but comp.dsp is the best place
to get a sound reply on that subject.  It is hard to draw the line, but if
the question concerns a particular commercial product exclusively, it
just doesn't belong on comp.music, IMHO.
--
Greg Sandell
sandell@ils.nwu.edu

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun14.164758.23557@agate.berkeley.edu> maverick@mahogany.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) writes:
>What is the relevance of real sounds to computer music?  Gerald Balzano
>took a radical position in his article "What Are Musical Pitch and
>Timbre?" [Music Perception 3(3), Spring 1986]: briefly, that the
>sensations of timbre are really a perception of the dynamic systems
>underlying the production of the sound, and thus that electronic music
>is doomed to sound "electronic", i.e. less than musical, unless we tap
>such dynamic systems in synthesis.  I incline much more to the Jim
>Randall-type position that if some piece of music sounds "merely
>electronic", that's the fault of the composer or possibly the listener;
>that nothing intrinsic to "a timbre" prevents our learning to make its
>context make music of it.

Why look for a simple distinction?  Our perception of timbre is
strongly affected by experience--both personal and evolutionary--
of those "dynamic systems" around us.  But this isn't necesarily
an end-point for synthesis; rather, it can be a stepping-off point.
"Natural" sounds carry a lot of experiential baggage with them--
baggage that can be musically very useful (or merely distracting).
One of the things that technology allows us to do is to play on
these associations.

As a simple example, consider simulations of room acoustics: models of
reverberation can serve a role analogous to perspective in the visual
arts.  By playing on the listener's experience of the sonic ambiance
of different spaces, we have a tool for suggesting the size and even
the construction of our "environment," and even a reference point for
movement within it.  Never mind that this "space" might be as
artificial as an Escher print, with parametric changes that defy
physical law.  It still can be heavily evocative of moods and
associations within the listener.

In my opinion, this tapping of the listener's experiences is near-
essential for creating anything beyond a superficial involvement in a
piece of music. (The experiences can be quite recent--even involving
the same piece of music--or can go back to more primal things from
commonly-experienced physical, cultural, or evolutionary events [by
"evolutionary" I mean "neurobiological"].)  What gets interesting
for me is when the simultaneous sensations of recognition and
surprise produce a new experience--one of musical pleasure.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun14.164758.23557@agate.berkeley.edu> maverick@mahogany.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) writes:
>To reverse the decay of comp.music into rec.music.synth.backup, Greg
>Sandell proposes chasing all the synth people away, and then says such
>researchers as he have no time to contribute.  I think the latter is
>the real problem -- the only way to influence the tone of the newsgroup
>is by positive contributions.

I think the time issue is as much as anything a matter of wading
through all the synth-head postings; even junking and killing takes
time.  My own complaint is the spooling space absorbed on my machine,
as I do not run a full news feed and I am NOT a university -- I
have my own system and space is valuable, and would not like to
deny myself access to comp.music research postings because a
university has decided not to carry rec.music.synth (for the same
reasons of space, processor and modem time that I don't carry it)
resulting in synth people putting their postings on comp.music or
cross-posting.

It's a bugger of a problem because *someone* is going to have to
give up hardware time and space, but Greg's right in that it needs to
be the systems whose users are interested in rec.music.synth, not
those of us who have to accept such postings second-hand in the
wrong newsgroup.  Those users are going to get their synth
postings out on the net one way or another, so those systems will
still be carrying such traffic -- they might as well give access
to the right newsgroup for it.

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (06/19/91)

In article <152033.16945@timbuk.cray.com> dpm@hickory07.cray.com (Donald P. Maghrak) writes:
>what to do?
>
>1) rename this group comp.music.theory
>2) form a new group comp.music.technical
>3) use rec.music.synth for technical/hardware topics.

Door number three.  But not all.  What bothers comp.music
hardliners is the 'should I buy a [Brand X] or a [Brand Y]
synth?' or 'I think [computer X] is better for synth sequencing than
[computer Y] because [computer X] brand stuff is cool.'

Technical discussions of 'are there reasonable alternatives to
[transformation X] methods which produce [Y] without [Z]
problems?' are probably right down the line of comp.music intent.

lwyse@central.bu.edu (Lonce LaMar Wyse) (06/22/91)

 >  maverick@mahogany.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) writes:
 > What is the relevance of real sounds to computer music?

I think the primary relevence of real sounds to computer music is that
they provide a constant reminder of how far we are from developing a
set of tools for the arbitrary manipulation of sound. (Have you ever
heard a good simulation of a piece of paper being crumpled?) Sure,
theoretically, by adding sine waves of the appropriate amplitude,
phase and frequency over time, any sound can be replicated exactly.
Practically, however, this ``tool'' is not very useful.

The question is really one of representation. A thought experiment:
What is ``in between'' the sound of a bowed saw and ewe's bleat?
It depends entirely upon how the sounds are modeled, that is, what
parameters are available. If addative synthesis is the model, then
``in between'' suggests that the amplitude of each frequency be set to
a value halfway between that frequency's level in the two different
sounds. If the sounds are represented by an FM model, adjusting the
frequencies and amplitudes of the carrier and modulator to values
in between those for the two different sounds yields a very different
``in between'' sound than in the additive synthesis case.

In making models of sounds for music, it is not adequate to just
synthesize a given sound sound well. There is no limit to the variety
of ways that any given sound can be constructed. In music, the
question of how one sound relates to another is of paramount
importance. The question can be answered in terms of a good model.

Due to a strong bias of musicians toward notes, an incomplete
understanding of how we hear, and a lack of funds, far more resources
have been devoted to modeling traditional instruments than other sound
sources. Kurzwiel did a great job for the piano (after intensive
efforts). What we need next, is a more general understanding of how to
model, and how the models we use to make the sounds for music effect
how we hear and listen to it.

						- lonce

   XXX     XXX         Lonce Wyse                                |
  X           X        Center for Adaptive Systems          \    |    /
  X           X        Boston University                     \       /
                       111 Cummington St.
                       Boston,MA 02215                   ----         ----
  X           X
  X           X        "The best things in life              /       \
   XXX     XXX         are emergent."                       /    |    \

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (06/25/91)

In article <1299@artsnet.UUCP> mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) writes:
>In article <152033.16945@timbuk.cray.com> dpm@hickory07.cray.com (Donald P. Maghrak) writes:
>>what to do?
>>
>>1) rename this group comp.music.theory
>>2) form a new group comp.music.technical
>>3) use rec.music.synth for technical/hardware topics.
>
>Door number three.  But not all.  What bothers comp.music
>hardliners is the 'should I buy a [Brand X] or a [Brand Y]
>synth?' or 'I think [computer X] is better for synth sequencing than
>[computer Y] because [computer X] brand stuff is cool.'
>
>Technical discussions of 'are there reasonable alternatives to
>[transformation X] methods which produce [Y] without [Z]
>problems?' are probably right down the line of comp.music intent.

I was distressed by this thread when it appeared; I was afraid I'd have
to go to me Friendly Neighborhood University and buy an MMus in order to
be allowed to continue to read this group.

"comp.music" is for the discussion of computing related to music. In order
to argue that synth users should not post here, you'd have to argue that
a digital synth is not a computer. Tough sledding, if you ask me.

Nor am I convinced that "comp.music.theory" is properly descriptive; there
are people asking apparently legitimate questions here that have to
do with applications rather than theory, such as "Which scoring program
should I buy?", or "How do I report a bug in program X?".

I think that what you have in mind is probably better described by
"comp.music.experimental" or "comp.music.academic".

--
Jeff Carroll		carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (06/26/91)

In article <4188@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) writes:

> I was distressed by this thread when it appeared; I was afraid I'd have
> to go to me Friendly Neighborhood University and buy an MMus in order to
> be allowed to continue to read this group.

	[ in summary, complains about the "keep comp.music pure" movement, makes
	  innuendos about elitism... ]

I have noticed a common thread to all the postings complaining
about topics being excluded from comp.music.  None of them
mention rec.music.synth.

Some questions:  do you recognize rec.music.synth as a viable place
to talk about synthesizers?  Do you think that there is a reason to
have a second group to talk about the same subjects?

If rec.music.synth started filling up with questions about historical
musicology, music education, ethnomusicology and manuscript verification,
wouldn't you complain that it was getting hard to weed through all
the extraneous postings?  Or would you protest against any such
complaints on the grounds that the arguments were petty, territorial and
elite? (Not that you used these words, but someone else did.)

USENET, everybody knows, provides a variety of very specific topics
of interest to computer users.  Specializing offshoots of groups happens
all the time on USENET, as I'm sure you know, and people take the trouble
to do so with a call for votes.  Take a look at how many specialized
groups there are for the Macintosh (I count 11).  Comp.music was
formed, I suspect, to handle the traffic from a certain subset of
rec.music.synth posters which merited having a group of its own.   So
aren't its readers and contributors justified in complaining about material
appear that looks just like the stuff that is available in another
group?

--
Greg Sandell
sandell@ils.nwu.edu

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (06/26/91)

In article <4188@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:
>"comp.music" is for the discussion of computing related to music. In order
>to argue that synth users should not post here, you'd have to argue that
>a digital synth is not a computer. Tough sledding, if you ask me.

It's snowing in June.  If a synth is always to be considered a
computer, then so should be most microwave ovens.  Both are appliances
that happen to use computers internally.

Actually, I see absolutely no reason why synth users shouldn't post
questions/comments/ideas about synth algorithms, programming, and
other computationally-related questions.

>Nor am I convinced that "comp.music.theory" is properly descriptive; there
>are people asking apparently legitimate questions here that have to
>do with applications rather than theory, such as "Which scoring program
>should I buy?", or "How do I report a bug in program X?".

These probably should go in rec.music.synth.  They seem to get better
answers there, anyhow.  Of course, rec.music.synth is loaded with
instant experts and folks who regularly post just to see their own
words written in phosphor.  I unsubscribed some months ago because
of the high mis-information content and frequent pissing contests.

I think the original complaint was one of "Where's the beef?"--i.e.
why are there no technical discussions here, or discusions on the
aesthetics of computer-generated sound?  I have the same feeling of
despair every time I see a "Does anyone know if NoteWacker III, with
All New 1/f Fractal Energizer, works on an Amiga with one disk
drive?"-type question.  Perhaps the question is a legitimate one, but
to some of use it merely reminds us of what this group isn't, but
could become: an intelligent forum on the computer as it relates to
music.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (06/27/91)

In article <2271@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) writes:

>Some questions:  do you recognize rec.music.synth as a viable place
>to talk about synthesizers?  Do you think that there is a reason to
>have a second group to talk about the same subjects?

	I'm not a synth owner/user; my interest is definitely along
the more traditional lines of this group. (In fact I was a research
assistant at the Northwestern Computer Music Lab for a while back in
the late 70's when I was at NU.)

	Back then we didn't have digital synthesizers. (I also spent a
quarter up in the attic of the music building working on the Moog.) The
only digital synthesizer I remember seeing back then was the Synclavier
on display at the 1978 ICMC in Evanston.

	But technology marched on, and within a few years digital
synthesizers were in the hands of the public. This is a success story
that would be almost unparalleled in the history of technology, were
it not for the simultaneous introduction of affordable microcomputers.

>If rec.music.synth started filling up with questions about historical
>musicology, music education, ethnomusicology and manuscript verification,
>wouldn't you complain that it was getting hard to weed through all
>the extraneous postings?  Or would you protest against any such
>complaints on the grounds that the arguments were petty, territorial and
>elite? (Not that you used these words, but someone else did.)

	Well, no, because I don't read rec.music.synth. (I find it
interesting that you made that assumption.) But I will point out that
none of the topics you happened to mention belong in comp.music, either.

>USENET, everybody knows, provides a variety of very specific topics
>of interest to computer users.  Specializing offshoots of groups happens
>all the time on USENET, as I'm sure you know, and people take the trouble
>to do so with a call for votes.  Take a look at how many specialized
>groups there are for the Macintosh (I count 11).  Comp.music was
>formed, I suspect, to handle the traffic from a certain subset of
>rec.music.synth posters which merited having a group of its own.   So
>aren't its readers and contributors justified in complaining about material
>appear that looks just like the stuff that is available in another
>group?

I suspect that comp.music was not formed that way; certainly the academic
study of computer music predates the widespread availability of
synthesizers. But what you are talking about is *not* computer music;
it is music theory in general, and thus doesn't belong in the "comp"
hierarchy. I don't know where it does belong, but not here.

--

In article <1991Jun25.204416.12144@rand.org> edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) writes:
>In article <4188@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:
>>"comp.music" is for the discussion of computing related to music. In order
>>to argue that synth users should not post here, you'd have to argue that
>>a digital synth is not a computer. Tough sledding, if you ask me.

>It's snowing in June.  If a synth is always to be considered a
>computer, then so should be most microwave ovens.  Both are appliances
>that happen to use computers internally.

Microprocessors are not central to the function of a microwave oven.
There are microwave ovens that *don't* have microprocessors in them.

To the contrary, a digital synthesizer is *nothing but* a computer that
has been customized for the purpose of making music. In other words, a
product of the computer music industry.

I'm starting to see snow, but it's all on my CRT :^)

--
Jeff Carroll		carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (06/28/91)

In article <4208@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:
>Microprocessors are not central to the function of a microwave oven.
>There are microwave ovens that *don't* have microprocessors in them.
>
>To the contrary, a digital synthesizer is *nothing but* a computer that
>has been customized for the purpose of making music. In other words, a
>product of the computer music industry.

There are synths which don't use computers.  Some people actually prefer
their sound.

But I think you're missing my point.  If you read the rest of my
article (omitted for brevity) I think you'll see that I want *more*
articles which treat synths AS COMPUTERS.  What I was objecting to is
articles which assume that anything about digital synths is approriate
because they happen to contain computers--which makes as much sense as
assuming that an article about microwave ovens will belong in the
comp.* hierarchy because most microwave ovens have MPU's in them.

Computer music is a multi-disciplinary field, combining acoustics,
electronics, mathematics, and other academic disciplines in persuit of
musical sound.  It existed long before "the computer music industry"
did.  Much of what goes on in a commercial digital music synthesizer
is based upon research and experimentation that originated in the
computer music community years or even decades before.

Now, I'm not trying to be exclusionary, here; I can 'n' through
articles with the best of them.  But I really would like to see
more articles on computer music, and less on musical computers.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org