[comp.music] MIDI exclusive data

peter@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Peter Korsten) (06/27/91)

Hi everybody,

This question may have been asked before, but when it has, I haven't read it
so far. So please, treat me gently.

The question is this: are there any books with lots-a-data about MIDI-exclusive
messages from all manufacturers (or most of them) and how you can program a
specific sound from your computer (I want to write a generally useable
sound editor) ?  Prefered language: English, German or (ahem) Dutch.

So ? Does anybody know ?
				Thank you in advance, Peter.
--
Peter Korsten, in real life peter@stack.urc.tue.nl
"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream. Belts down, trousers down,

alves@calvin.usc.edu (William Alves) (06/27/91)

In article <696@rc6.urc.tue.nl> peter@stack.urc.tue.nl writes:

>The question is this: are there any books with lots-a-data about MIDI-exclusive
>messages from all manufacturers (or most of them) and how you can program a
>specific sound from your computer (I want to write a generally useable
>sound editor) ?  Prefered language: English, German or (ahem) Dutch.

Try these:

De Furia, Steve, and Joe Scacciaferro. The MIDI System Exclusive Book.
   Pompton Lakes, NJ: Third Earth Publishing, 1987.

De Furia, Steve, and Joe Scacciaferro. The MIDI Programmer's Handbook.
   Redwood City, CA: M&T Books, 1990.

Bill Alves

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) (06/27/91)

In article <696@rc6.urc.tue.nl> peter@stack.urc.tue.nl writes:
>Hi everybody,
>
>This question may have been asked before, but when it has, I haven't read it
>so far. So please, treat me gently.
>
>The question is this: are there any books with lots-a-data about MIDI-exclusive
>messages from all manufacturers (or most of them) and how you can program a
>specific sound from your computer (I want to write a generally useable
>sound editor) ?  Prefered language: English, German or (ahem) Dutch.

There may be books on the subject, but in any case, you'll need each
instrument's MIDI spec from the manufacturer before you can get into
its guts.

In my experience, Sysex data formats can be inconsistant not only
between manufacturers, but also between instruments from a single
manufacturer!  Even different ROM versions of the same insturments
can have inconsistancies.  Black art, that Sysex!
Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org>
Alcatel Network Systems, Raleigh, NC                GEnie: J.WHITCOMB3

jmw@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (06/30/91)

>In article <696@rc6.urc.tue.nl> peter@stack.urc.tue.nl writes:
>>Hi everybody,

>>The question is this: are there any books with lots-a-data about MIDI-exclusive
>>messages from all manufacturers (or most of them) and how you can program a
>>specific sound from your computer (I want to write a generally useable
>>sound editor) ?  Prefered language: English, German or (ahem) Dutch.

I have 'The Midi System Exclusive Book' by de Furia and Scacciaferro
Ferro Technologies, distributed by Hal Leonard, ISBN 0-88188-586-x.
I don't know if there have been any updates since it was originally
published in 1987. As it stands it's not exactly up to date. Of course
given the rate at which new synths appear that would have to be an impossible
task.

>In my experience, Sysex data formats can be inconsistant not only
>between manufacturers, but also between instruments from a single
>manufacturer!  Even different ROM versions of the same insturments
>can have inconsistancies.  Black art, that Sysex!

Agreed, you only have to glance thru the above-mentioned book to see what
fun the manufacturers have had with sysex.

John M Williams		jmw@probitas.cs.utas.au