[comp.os.aos] Connection from Xenix to AOS/VS

willis@xroads.UUCP (Raymond Willis) (03/03/90)

I have connected my computer, a Compaq 386/25 running under Xenix,
version 2.3 to a DG computer running AOS/VS.  I use TERM from Century
Software to communicate with it.  This works fine for many things.  Two
deficiencies that bother me greatly are the delete key does not work and CEO
doesn't work at all.  Is there any software package that will allow me to run
CEO?  I realize Blast, SmartTerm, and CEO Connect are possibilities but I
understand they only work under DOS.  It seems like there should be a way to
get the delete key to work with TERM using a character substitution but so
far have not found any that works.  Any suggestions?
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200|2400 Baud 24 hrs/day

indep-6@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu (Scott Corcoran) (03/09/90)

In article <998@xroads.UUCP> willis@xroads.UUCP (Raymond Willis) writes:

>I have connected my computer, a Compaq 386/25 running under Xenix,
>version 2.3 to a DG computer running AOS/VS.  I use TERM from Century
>Software to communicate with it.  This works fine for many things.  Two
>deficiencies that bother me greatly are the delete key does not work and CEO
>doesn't work at all.  Is there any software package that will allow me to run
>CEO?  I realize Blast, SmartTerm, and CEO Connect are possibilities but I
>understand they only work under DOS.  It seems like there should be a way to
>get the delete key to work with TERM using a character substitution but so
>far have not found any that works.  Any suggestions?

I have had similar difficulties talking from 386/ix to AOS/VS.
I am writing to warn people with similar difficulties about what not to do.
Terminal emulators do not work under the DOS emulation package that came
with 386/ix, so don't both attempting to run say Smartterm on top of
VP/ix.

My solution for the duration of the problem was to write a kludge 605x
emulator program in C that used 2 processes, one for async->display and
the other process for keyboard->async. It worked, but considerably more
intelligence is required to emulate a D200+ at a level compatible with
CEO, etc. The 605x emulation worked, ran SED, but was not of sufficient
quality to want to share (I didn't even keep the source; it is buried
somewhere at UCLA).

DG is acutely aware of this problem, now that it is involved so heavily with
the 88k. (this is inside info). I wouldn't be surprised if a quality solution
is on the way.

lbsrdrt@cc.brunel.ac.uk (David Thomas) (03/12/90)

In article <1990Mar8.230131.8089@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu> indep-6@sjsumcs.SJSU.EDU (Scott Corcoran) writes:

>DG is acutely aware of this problem, now that it is involved so heavily with
>the 88k. (this is inside info). I wouldn't be surprised if a quality solution
>is on the way.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the 88k   ??

David Thomas
Brunel University Library
Uxbridge
Middlesex
UB8 3PH

gary@dgcad.SV.DG.COM (Gary Bridgewater) (03/20/90)

In article <1402@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> lbsrdrt@cc.brunel.ac.uk (David Thomas) writes:
>Pardon my ignorance, but what is the 88k   ??

Another example of Americans murdering the Queen's Numbers.  :->

CompSpeak for:
Motorolla 88000 computer which consists of some number of model 88100 CPU chips
and model 88200 memory cache chips.
(ref. comp.sys.m88k)
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary