[comp.os.aos] HELP!

sams@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/10/90)

Hello???
	Is there anybody... Out there?

	Does anybody out there run AOS???  It can't be that bad...
I was hoping that someone might know of a C compiler for AOS/VS that can be
found off the network.  Any replies about anything would be appreciated!

			Thanks,
				Steve Michnick

acbhour@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Rudi van Houten) (11/12/90)

In article <26645.273aed1f@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> sams@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Hello???
>	Is there anybody... Out there?

>	Does anybody out there run AOS???  It can't be that bad...
>I was hoping that someone might know of a C compiler for AOS/VS that can be
>found off the network.  Any replies about anything would be appreciated!

>			Thanks,
>				Steve Michnick

Data General does have a C-compiler. Originally written for MV/UX it
is for several years now distributed as a product under AOS/VS.
--
Rudi van Houten	<acbhour@cc.ruu.nl>
Academisch Computer Centrum Utrecht / Besturings Systemen

poy@spsd.IRVINE.DG.COM (David Poyourow) (11/13/90)

]   Hello???
]	   Is there anybody... Out there?
]
]	   Does anybody out there run AOS???  It can't be that bad...
]   I was hoping that someone might know of a C compiler for AOS/VS that can be
]   found off the network.  Any replies about anything would be appreciated!
]
]			   Thanks,
]				   Steve Michnick
]
	Sorry, Steve, but you will probably have to get a license
	and buy it from Data General.  I dont know what you are
	developing, but for a proprietary architecture, you should
	really have a compiler supported by the manufacturer.

	I suggest that you call your
	local D.G. sales office and find out what it costs
	for an educational institution.

--
David Poyourow, Data General Corp.	UUCP:	..!uunet!spsd!poy
2603 Main St, #360, Irvine, CA 92714	ARPA:	poy@spsd.IRVINE.DG.COM

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (11/13/90)

In article <931@accucx.cc.ruu.nl> acbhour@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Rudi van
Houten) writes:

| Data General does have a C-compiler. Originally written for MV/UX it
| is for several years now distributed as a product under AOS/VS.

Um, you got it backwards.  The C compiler was originally targeted for
AOS/VS (and producing binaries to run on AOS/RT32).  The first
revision, 1.10, shipped something like one year (possibly more, my
memory is fuzzy) before MV/UX shipped.  The runtime library is a
subset of the MV/UX unix emulator, and about 1/2 of the AOS/VS library
was developed by the MV/UX group.  About two years after that, DG/UX
was shipped on MV's, using the compiler ported from AOS/VS.  The
stdio, allocation, initialization, and math routines all share code
with the AOS/VS implementation, the rest of the routines all are based
on the appropriate UNIX base.  The 'kernel' of MV/UX is still AOS/VS,
since MV/UX is a UNIX system call translator (ie, it doesn't provide
it's own scheduling or process management).

At one point in time, there was a project to produce a cross compiler
from AOS/VS to 16-bit AOS, but it never made it out of DG.  In terms
of 16-bit compiler support, there was a company called 'IPT' which
sold a compiler for RDOS and AOS systems.

DG/UX on the 88k's uses a completely different compiler (from the GNU
project), and the libraries are based solely on the UNIX source base.
I believe the 88k kernel code started with the MV kernel code, but
since I never worked on the kernel, I can't say for sure.

Since I wrote the front end for the MV C compiler, and worked on it
until revision 4.00, and then worked on the GNU compiler for Data
General, so in theory, I should know what I'm talking about.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?

bkd3019@rouge.usl.edu (Dore Brian K) (11/14/90)

In article <26645.273aed1f@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> sams@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Hello???
>	Is there anybody... Out there?
>
>	Does anybody out there run AOS???  It can't be that bad...
>I was hoping that someone might know of a C compiler for AOS/VS that can be
>found off the network.  Any replies about anything would be appreciated!
>
>			Thanks,
>				Steve Michnick

If you want a C compiler for AOS/VS, you are probably going to have to pay
for it.  Check DG Review & the NADGUG newsletter for third party compilers.
I believe DG Review runs a 800 number to supply readers with free help
locating products, (Telesearch?) you may want to check there.

I left a AOS/VS shop in February of this year after almost five years with
AOS/VS and Buisiness Basic.  (and 2 months of RDOS!)  Every now and then
while trying to do too many things at once, my fingers will type f/as or
something totaly alien to my current enviornment.

Anyone care to update me on the current status of AOS/VS classic vs II,
and what versions are current?  I haven't bothered to keep up.

pds@lemming.webo.dg.com (Paul D. Smith) (11/14/90)

[ discussion of the history of DG AOS/VS C compiler removed ...
  *I* thought it was interesting ... ]

I think the original poster of this message was looking for a C
compiler for AOS/VS which could be found on the net; i.e., _free_,
like say a port of GCC to AOS/VS.

Steve:
  I personally have never heard of such a beast, if that is indeed
  what you are interested in.  The DG AOS/VS C compiler is a nice
  product; it has function call libraries to take advantage of
  AOS/VS's CISC architecture: for example, a multi-tasking library,
  special in-line functions for queue handling, etc.

  Get in touch with your DG rep (or whomever) for more info on the DG
  C compiler.
--

                                                                paul
-----

sasrer@unx.sas.com (Rodney Radford) (11/29/90)

In article <26645.273aed1f@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> sams@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Hello???
>	Is there anybody... Out there?

Yes. (Been listening to any Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' lately?).

>	Does anybody out there run AOS???  It can't be that bad...
>I was hoping that someone might know of a C compiler for AOS/VS that can be
>found off the network.  Any replies about anything would be appreciated!

There are several public domain C compilers that could be converted for
the MV architecture, but you will have to write your own back-end code
generator (with only 4 wonderful registers). Two common public domain
compilers are the Gnu and Small-C compilers, but I don't know if either
of these has ever been ported to an MV.

We do all of our code development at SAS Institute in C - current estimate
is about 2+ million lines of code, and use DG's C compiler. Except for
a few minor problems (which are usually fixed very rapidly by DG), and
code generation inefficiencies it is pretty good.

--
Rodney E. Radford        SAS Institute, Inc.        sasrer@unx.sas.com
DG/UX AViiON developer   Box 8000, Cary, NC 27512   (919) 677-8000 x7703