[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Problems with Australia

steve@cs.umd.EDU (Steven D. Miller) (01/04/88)

   I have one real and one (possibly) imagined problem when doing queries
on things in the AU domain.  First, it was my impression that somewhere
Out There, there was a box advertising a MX record like:

	*.au.	IN	MX	10 uunet.uu.net.

   If there's no record like this, that's liveable as far as I'm concerned.
However, in poking about trying to find someone reasonable (like the person
listed in the SOA record for AU), I found a query loop.  The nameservers for
AU are supposedly ucbvax.berkeley.edu and seismo.css.gov.  If I ask ucbvax
to give me the SOA record for AU, it refers me back to the root.  The same
thing happens if I do a MX query.  If I do an ANY query, I get NOERROR,
but no answers.  I'd ask seismo, but their network seems to be unreachable
at the moment.

   I have a sneaking suspicion that either ucbvax's nameserver needs a
good swift kick, or that it's not supposed to be serving AU.  Does someone
know the real truth?

   Thanks.

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve@mimsy.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1516  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

rick@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (01/05/88)

Initially, the only sites in the .AU domain were in th .OZ.AU subdomain.

The servers on seismo and ucbvax were set up to reflect this.

Recently, Other subdomains of .AU have been used. Seismo is
correctly (I think...) returning the MX record for *.AU, but it is possible
that ucbvax is only serving for *.OZ.AU or that the need you
to explicitly list the second domain.

You should probably try *.OZ.AU or whatever other subdomain you are
interested in. There are no sites directly under .AU, so I'm not
sure what the "correct" response to x.AU should be.

--rick

pvm@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Paul Mockapetris) (01/05/88)

Seismo has data for AU, with the MX you mentioned, and answered my
queries flawlessly.

The Berkeley secondary doesn't have the data.

UCBVAX.Berkeley.EDU should have the data.  (The AU domain was delegated
by the NIC in March 86, so no excuses about not ready yet.)

Your resolver should be able to deal with this failure by Berkeley,
but since its probably BIND, I call it Entropy 2, Berkeley 0.

paul

kre@mulga.OZ.AU (Robert Elz) (01/05/88)

    Date:        Mon, 4 Jan 88 09:15:48 EST
    From:        steve@cs.umd.edu (Steven D. Miller)

    First, it was my impression that somewhere
    Out There, there was a box advertising a MX record like:

    	*.au.	IN	MX	10 uunet.uu.net.

Its actually

	*.oz.au.	IN	MX	<something> uunet.uu.net.

Only addresses in the .oz subdomain of .au are handled currently
(there are now about hald a dozen other addresses that should be
handled .. nb: not hald a dozen domains, just half a dozen addresses).

    However, in poking about trying to find someone reasonable (like the person
    listed in the SOA record for AU), I found a query loop.
I'm not actually sure that there is an SOA for AU.  If there is, it
should point at me, or at Rick Adams (rick@seismo.css.gov).

    The nameservers for
    AU are supposedly ucbvax.berkeley.edu and seismo.css.gov.
That's right, seismo is the primary, ucbvax is secondary.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that either ucbvax's nameserver needs a
    good swift kick,
Maybe, I'll check it.

    or that it's not supposed to be serving AU.
It is.

    Does someone know the real truth?
Yes, I do, I administer the AU domain.  To solve your more immediate
problem, you can probably just send me some mail.

Robert Elz		postmaster@munnari.oz.au