[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Ping program needed for testing ethernet conn

kzm@TWG.ARPA ("Keith McCloghrie") (01/15/88)

> In article <372@osupyr.UUCP>, hsu_f@osupyr.UUCP (Frank Hsu) writes:
> <
> < Forgive me if I put this in a wong place.
> <
> < I have a AT&T 3B2/300 running UNIX System V release 3.1 with Wollogon TCP/IP
> < installed.  I need a "ping" program which can test remote host connections
> < by echoing rather than actually telneting them.
> <
> < Anyone on the net have such a program?  I would like to have it running on
> < my 3B2.  Please send mail to me. It would be even wonderful if it comes with
> < documentation.
> < 					Thanks.
>
> I would be interested in such a program also!
>                                 Thanks in advance!
>                                 - David Summers

The current version of our Sys V.3 (Streams) TCP/IP code for the 3B2
as *released* as a product by AT&T, does not have "ping", nor can ping
be easily added (since at that time our product did not have an
application-program ("raw") interface to IP).

The newest version of our Sys V.3 (Streams) TCP/IP code which we have
running on the 3B2, DOES have a raw interface to IP (and thereby, does
have ping).  We will be demostrating the upgraded version at Uniforum
in February.

As for when it will be released as a product by AT&T, I can only
point you to Rich Kappel (AT&T Product Manager for TCP/IP) and suggest
you call him (312-810-6879) to ask him when, and to indicate how
important it is to you.

Keith McCloghrie
The Wollongong Group