[net.micro] Byte reader service cards

MKB@CMU-CS-C.ARPA (02/08/84)

From:  Mike Blackwell <MKB@CMU-CS-C.ARPA>

While I was talking to a fellow in Byte's advertising department, I learned
of a new scheme they have to replace the reader service cards. What they'll
have is a toll free number you can call. When the operator answers, you give
them your customer number (off the label, I guess), or your name and
address, and the reader service numbers from the ads you want more info on.
Then the companys are sent your name and address.  This will eliminate the
long lead time associated with the current system.  They hope to have this
up and running some time in the spring.

		-m-

Holbrook.ES@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (02/08/84)

I once worked for a company that specifically requested that Byte run
it's ads WITHOUT the little reader service number.  Seems that when they
had the number in the ad, they would get hundreds of addresses of
people.  They would spend the time stuffing the envelopes and spend the
postage to mail out the info, and would only get a few queries in
response to their info.  Their theory was that many people would send in
the card every month, circling any numbers for any ads that looked even
halfway interesting.  Of course, they really had no intention of buying
- they just wanted the literature.

They had the same problem at trade shows - if they put the brochures
right out front, they would run out very quickly because many people
pick up all the literature they could get.  Of course, if you came up
and asked some questions, they would be happy to give you a brochure.

Of course, one way to interpret the lack of response is that their
product wasn't interesting after all ....

	Paul Holbrook

ABN.ISCAMS%usc-isid@sri-unix.UUCP (02/08/84)

I confess -- I am one of those culprits who circle the little number on
the card if I'm halfway interested.  But (and maybe this makes the difference
for those vendors who DO continue to support reader service cards) -- I AM
halfway interested, and in several cases (admittedly out of dozens), the
follow-up literature DID give me the additional information necessary to
make a "well informed selection" and purchase.

I suppose I've bugged poor old Sage and Compupro half to death with
periodic requests for more brochures -- but they keep coming out with new
or upgraded products, and I NEED to know what they're up to.

I'm a link in the specification/procurement part of micros here where I work,
and have considerable influence/impact on specs and acceptances -- and I
MUST know where the state of the art (and marketplace) is.  I cannot
specify by brand name, and insist on "competitive procurement", but to KNOW
what vendors CAN offer.... that's important, and I feel all the companies
I send off to for literature have a fair chance of getting their money back.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum

WMartin@SIMTEL20.ARPA (02/08/84)

From:  William G. Martin <WMartin@SIMTEL20.ARPA>

Aha! One of my "pet peeve" buttons has been pushed!  ALL advertisers
in a magazine with a Reader-Service card provded should be COMPELLED
to use the Reader-Service numbers.  This must be a condition of the
acceptance of the advertising by the magazine.  Far too many advertisers
have been allowed to drop the use of R-S numbers, which dilutes the
value of the Reader-Service program as a whole.  (I speak here mainly
from experience in the audio/high-fidelity magazine area.)  One of the
prime purposes of the very existence of most technical magazines is
to serve as a conduit of information between manufacturers/dealers
who are the advertisers and the consumers who are the readers. Most
of the non-ad contents in such magazines are discussions about
advertised products (reviews, product surveys, etc.) or interpretations
of technical literature for the consumer (articles like "What do
amplifier specs mean?", etc.).  The whole Reader-Service process is
a vital part of this, getting a direct conduit between vendors and
reader/consumers.  The basic purpose of this is to transfer the
costs from the readers to the vendors.  Without Reader-Service, the
only way for the consumer/reader to contact the advertiser is to
pay postage or telephone charges, invest time in composing cards or
letters or making calls, and generally expend much effort. Having
Reader-Service consolidates the communication path into a single
card sent by the reader to the contractor who handles Reader-Service
[I believe the entire population of Clinton, Iowa is in this business]
and puts the cost where it belongs, in the vendors' advertising budget.

The vendor can deduct the costs involved, but the consumer cannot;
therefore, Business Reply Mail R-S cards should also be mandatory.
(I note that Byte's cards are not; this is a major failing on their
part.)  The statement that "many people would send in the card every
month, circling any numbers for any ads that looked even halfway
interesting" is correct, but that is what SHOULD happen!  The whole
idea of the process is to snag the attention of POSSIBLE prospects,
and then send them more information than the ad itself could possibly
contain, in the hope of enticing them to buy.  It is perfectly
normal that the percentage response is low -- it will always be so,
unless the vendor is selling something in high demand at an
unusually low price.  (Even then, many readers will suspect that
it couldn't be legitimate, and will not respond due to wariness.)

If a new, small firm cannot afford the costs of handling large
Reader-Service responses, they should not be advertising at all,
or they should be placing classified ads.  That is the main difference
between regular display ads and the classifieds (or those little
display ads in the classified sections); the former all should have
Reader-Service, and the latter are cheaper and do not have R-S.
Some vendors may not like this; they are merely unrealistic.  To
sell your stuff, you have to expect to pay for getting your firm
and products known -- distributing large amounts of literature,
whether by mail or at trade shows, without seeing direct or
immediate responses, is one of the expenses. That's just the way
it is.

Flame dying down...

Will Martin
-------

ABN.COSCOM-CE%usc-isid@sri-unix.UUCP (02/10/84)

    Date: 7 Feb 1984 17:59-PST
    From: ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid
    To: Holbrook.ES@parc-maxc
    Cc: MKB@cmu-cs-c, Info-Micro@brl-vgr
    Subject: Re: Byte reader service cards
    Sender: ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid
              From Usc-Isid.ARPA by BRL-VGR via smtp;  7 Feb 84 21:38 EST

[...]

              --------------------

That's a ditto for me. I often make the same sort of decisions or render
advice on hardware.  I feel the info I receive is well spent costs by the
company.

Kevin Rappold

andrew@orca.UUCP (02/19/84)

Will Martin flames:

	"ALL advertisers in a magazine with a Reader-Service card
	provded should be COMPELLED to use the Reader-Service numbers."

You might as well say that private fashion salons should be compelled
to hold showings for anyone that walks in off the street, just in case
one of them should develop an interest in buying designer clothing.

Despite bombast to the contrary, there are a good many advertisers who
don't want to deal with readers who are not sufficiently interested to
fill out a postcard.  One of the winning points of our system of free
enterprise is that a vendor can target a specific consumer audience.
Some vendors like to flood consumers with advertising in hopes that one
in a thousand will buy the product.  Others feel that their products
are such that interested consumers will find them without such a flood.

The primary reason that magazines such as BYTE institute reader service
cards (known in the trade as "Bingo" cards) is so that they can count
the number of "responses" and use those statistics to sell more ads.

A case history might be useful here.  I ran a software mail order house
for three years.  We started out requesting and servicing bingo
numbers, and we kept statistics on them and on readers who used
postcards or telephone calls to request information.  It cost us a
dollar to respond to each Bingo, and our product cost about $200.
After three months we noticed that 0.3% of the Bingos had placed
orders.  That is, we spent $300 for each $200 sale.  By contrast, about
a quarter of the postcard mailers followed up with orders.

Needless to say, we stopped requesting Bingos.  To put it in terms that
consumerists can understand, if we were forced to continue losing $100
on each Bingo-inspired sale, we would have gone out of business very
quickly and the choice of products available to consumers would have
decreased.

In the long run, though, we did go out of business.  When a half-page
ad in Microsystems cost $200, we could make money.  When it shot up to
$900, we lost, and shut down.

  -- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)      [UUCP]
                       (orca!andrew.tektronix@rand-relay)  [ARPA]