[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Domains created in June 1990

dell@Apple.COM (Thomas E. Dell) (07/01/90)

This is a list of all the new domains created in June 1990,
or at least ones reported by the NIC.

(The first reading was taken a few days after June started, so
there are probably one or two missing.)

Motivation: curiosity.

A good number of these appear to have been created as a result
of UUNET's decision to no longer support the *.uu.net address form.

An ISO style national domain was created for Sri Lanka. This
list does not include domains created underneath ISO style
abbreviations, or INT-DOM or NATO-DOM; that information is not
maintained by the NIC.

   ...Tom

dell@vox.darkside.com / Thomas E Dell

-----

1 addition to ROOT domain:

    LK		    University of Moratuwa

35 additions to COM domain:

    ACCURATE.COM    Accurate Information Systems, Inc.
    AMG.COM	    American Micro Group, Inc.
    CAI.COM	    Computer Associates International
    CIMS2.COM	    CIMS, Inc.
    EDG.COM	    Edison Design Group
    EKLEKTIX.COM    Eklektix
    ELM.COM	    Esselte Letraset Manufacturing
    EPOCH.COM	    Epoch Systems Inc.
    ES.COM	    Evans & Sutherland Computer Corporation
    HAZELTINE.COM   Hazeltine
    INFOSERV.COM    InfoServ Connections
    ISLAND.COM	    Island Graphics Corporation
    KAMAN.COM	    Kaman Sciences Corporation
    MEDCOM.COM	    MedCom, Inc.
    NSI.COM	    Negotiation Systems
    NTI.COM	    Northern Telecom Incorporated
    PCR.COM	    PC Research, Inc.
    PHASE2.COM	    Phase2 Networks Inc.
    PLEXUS.COM	    Technology Group Incorporated
    PMP.COM	    Philip Meese Projects, Inc.
    PROBTEK.COM	    Probe Technology Corporation
    PSOCG.COM	    Seybold Office Computing Group
    READY.COM	    Ready Systems
    RSA.COM	    RSA Data Security, Inc.
    STINGRAY.COM    Stingray Computing Innovations
    TDI.COM	    Transportation Data, Inc.
    TOLERANT.COM    Tolerant Software
    UTODAY.COM	    UNIX Today!
    UUCOM.COM	    UUcom Incorporated
    VELVET.COM	    Velvet Hand
    VERITAS.COM	    Veritas Software
    VERSOFT.COM	    The Vermont Software Company, Inc.
    VIAR.COM	    Viar and Company
    WALNEY.COM	    Rutt and Company
    WESCO.COM	    West Coast Information Systems, Inc.

9 additions to EDU domain:

    CLARK.EDU	    Clark College
    GETTYSBURG.EDU  Gettysburg College
    GSU.EDU	    Georgia State University
    ITHACA.EDU	    Ithaca College
    ONU.EDU	    Ohio Northern University
    TCU.EDU	    Texas Christian University
    UNIVNORTHCO.EDU University of Northern Colorado
    UWW.EDU	    University of Wisconsin
    WCIU.EDU	    William Carey International University

1 addition to NET domain:

    CA.NET	    University of Toronto Computing Services

2 additions to ORG domain:

    AARA.ORG	    Acadiana Amateur Radio Association
    CIIT.ORG	    Chemical Industry Institute

dias@iris.ucdavis.edu (Gihan Dias) (07/02/90)

In article <42545@apple.Apple.COM> dell@Apple.COM (Thomas E. Dell) writes:
>This is a list of all the new domains created in June 1990,
>or at least ones reported by the NIC.

>An ISO style national domain was created for Sri Lanka. This
>
>1 addition to ROOT domain:
>
>    LK		    University of Moratuwa

This should really have said:

	Lanka Experimental Academic and Research Network (LEARN)

which is currently being administerd by the University of Moratuwa.

Email services to Sri Lanka are still in the experimental stage and is
not yet operational.

Gihan

pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) (07/02/90)

In article <7490@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> dias@iris.ucdavis.edu (Gihan Dias) writes:
]In article <42545@apple.Apple.COM> dell@Apple.COM (Thomas E. Dell) writes:
]
]>An ISO style national domain was created for Sri Lanka. This
]>1 addition to ROOT domain:
]>    LK		    University of Moratuwa
]
]This should really have said:
]	Lanka Experimental Academic and Research Network (LEARN)

Thomas provided the new entry exactly as supplied by 'whois' on
nic.ddn.mil. If you have a different source, please cite it.

-=-
Peter J. Dotzauer
pjd+@osu.edu pjd@ohstvmb

philipp@GIPSI.GIPSI.FR (Philippe Prindeville) (07/02/90)

	Date: 1 Jul 90 10:18:36 GMT
	From: dell@apple.com  (Thomas E. Dell)
	Subject: Domains created in June 1990
	To: namedroppers@nic.ddn.mil

	    NTI.COM	    Northern Telecom Incorporated

As I remember, the Northern Telecom group of companies has many
subsidiaries.  I hope NTI.COM includes all of them, and that
there won't be other NT*.COM entries.  This being the case, I
wonder why they didn't just register as "NT.COM".

	    UNIVNORTHCO.EDU University of Northern Colorado

Hmm... Stylish choice of name.

	    UWW.EDU	    University of Wisconsin

I thought "UWisc.EDU" was the University of Wisconsin.

	    WCIU.EDU	    William Carey International University

	    CA.NET	    University of Toronto Computing Services

This is actually the Canadian equivalent of the NSFnet (or NSF.NET)
organization.  UTCS is just where they happen to be located (like
NSFnet being colocated with MERIT).

Anyone know if Czechoslovakia or the DDR has started registering
their domains yet?

-Philip

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/03/90)

   From: philipp@GIPSI.GIPSI.FR (Philippe Prindeville)

   Anyone know if Czechoslovakia or the DDR has started registering
   their domains yet?

All of the hosts in the DDR that I know of which are connected
(according to sub.mail.maps) are in the .sub.org domain; I suspect the
only one that you'd have a hope of reaching is this one.  Due to
various reasons including costs and politics which I don't understand,
there are two alternative domain hierarchies in the Federal Republic:
sub.org (the Subnet, private UUCP sites) and .de (federally sponsored,
PTT-style, and university nets).

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
comp.archives moderator

#N      peri
#O      PeriCont UUCP Berlin-Pankow, DDR
#C      Michael Gaehme
#E      tmpmbx!einoed!aball!peri!turbo
#L      52 31 N / 13 24 E city
#R      Kontake zu anderen DDR Computerbenutzern sind moeglich
#R      Mitglied im Verband der Computerclubs der DDR e. V. (VCC)
#R      IBM-AT-Clone 386SX mit waffle UUCP Version 1.61
#R      es werden noch Spenden an hardware (SIMMS und Festplatten) gesucht
#R Kontakt im Westen ueber Andreas Jennen:
#R      Anrufe +49 30 3965227 (voice) bitte zwischen 18 und 22 Uhr
#R      DDR UUCP Testaccounts in peri jederzeit moeglich !
#R UUCP PD Software fuer MS-DOS, Atari und AMIGA kann vermittelt
#R werden. XENIX und UNIX auf Anfrage !
#U      aball
#W      jennen@aball; Fri Jun  8 05:38:28 MST 1990
#
peri    aball(DAILY), tmpmbx(WEEKLY)
#
# UUCP testaccounts Berlin-Ost (DDR):
# geplant:
# peri  flyout(DAILY)
#
# UUCP testaccounts DDR:
# folgen in Kuerze !
#

dfk@eu.net (Daniel Karrenberg) (07/04/90)

philipp@GIPSI.GIPSI.FR (Philippe Prindeville) writes:

>Anyone know if Czechoslovakia or the DDR has started registering
>their domains yet?

Here is my 2 (Dutch) cents worth:

The latest I heared of is that people in the DDR are reluctant to use
DD because of apossible name change soon after. :-)

CS and HU are in the process.

Daniel
<postmaster@nic.eu.net>
--
Daniel Karrenberg                    Future Net:  <dfk@cwi.nl>
CWI, Amsterdam                        Oldie Net:  mcsun!dfk