	pk@unidoct.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de (Peter Koch) writes:

   From: pk@unidoct.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de (Peter Koch)
   Newsgroups: dnet.test

   ars@tumuc.regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Arne Steinkamm) writes:
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   Arrgh, 37 Zeichen Domain-Adresse, Rekord gef"ahrdet, snief ;-)

   Werde hier wohl mal subdomains einf"uhren m"ussen :-)

   --
   Peter Koch                     EUnet:  pk@unidoct.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de
   Fachbereich Chemietechnik

rrichter@rphroy.uucp (Roy Richter) (07/13/90)

In article <EMV.90Jul11221436@urania.math.lsa.umich.edu>,
emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

|> What is the record for 'longest domain name in actual practice'?
|>
|>     pk@unidoct.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de
|>    ars@tumuc.regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de
I guess they use short usernames to make up for it.

Hey, I can beat that without trying:

koiasvr01.iac.delcoelect.component.gmeds.com

is 44 long, and it's even in the maps! (under koiasvr01).  Steve Lodin
claims "some problems" occur occasionally.  Now, this is in actual
practice...but not fully nsfnet-connected (at least not yet).

Roy Richter                  UUCP:  {umich,cfctech}!rphroy!rrichter
Physics Dept, GM Research    CSNet: rrichter@gmr.com
                             Internet: rrichter%rphroy.uucp@umich.edu

cmaeda@A.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Christopher Maeda) (07/13/90)

That's nothing, man.  I once got some mail from the

national-institute-for-medical-research.mrc.ac.uk

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (07/13/90)

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

>What is the record for 'longest domain name in actual practice'?
>I show a couple of examples below to inspire you.

>--Ed

>Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>

>In article <586@unidoct.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de>
>	pk@unidoct.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de (Peter Koch) writes:

>   From: pk@unidoct.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de (Peter Koch)
>   Newsgroups: dnet.test

>   ars@tumuc.regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Arne Steinkamm) writes:
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is an very hard pressure here in germany into the ISO/OSI direction.
And it's the common practice here, to use the same names for Internet
as for X.400. So the above example in X.400 notation will look like that:

S=Steinkamm;OU=tumuc;OU=regent;OU=e-technik;PRMD=tu-muenchen;ADMD=dbp;C=de

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger

p.s.: It's not really consequent, if we avoid any shortnames, it will look
	like that:

S=Arne.Steinkamm;OU=tumuc;OU=Lehrstuhl-fuer-Rechnergestuetztes-Entwerfen;
OU=Elektro-technik;PRMD=Technische-Universitaet-Muenchen;
ADMD=Deutsche-Bundespost-Telekom;C=Bundesrepublik-Deutschland

Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende, D-8046 Garching, West Germany
BITNET:  K2@DGABLG5P            Internet: k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (07/13/90)

In article <9007121507.AA09524@venera.isi.edu> pvm@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Paul Mockapetris) writes:
   I can't wait for X.400 addresses as components of UUCP paths.

That won't happen, but they may appear as components of news paths.
It all depends upon how MHS IPM's "flow confidentiality" requirement
(X.400/15.4) is interpreted in light of a distributed flood-based
non-presubscribed conference system technology like news.  The ISO
world may live in the distribution list paradigm forever.  Consider my
musings in <BOB.90Jul12093945@volitans.MorningStar.Com> ("ISO
conferencing?") in comp.protocols.iso and news.misc.

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (07/14/90)

In article <3385@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) writes:

   p.s.: It's not really consequent, if we avoid any shortnames, it will look
	   like that:

   S=Arne.Steinkamm;OU=tumuc;OU=Lehrstuhl-fuer-Rechnergestuetztes-Entwerfen;
   OU=Elektro-technik;PRMD=Technische-Universitaet-Muenchen;
   ADMD=Deutsche-Bundespost-Telekom;C=Bundesrepublik-Deutschland

Oh yeah?  If I tried to feed that C=Bundesrepublik-Deutschland into
the nearest X.400 mailer, it's spit at me!  It's C=DE or some numeric
code, thank you.  I would also think that ADMD=DBP it pretty much
fixed, so you couldn't just expand it as you like.

There must be some kind of correlation between the enormously long
German words and their domain names, I think.
--
[Erik Naggum]

nipper@iramu1.ira.uka.de (Arnold Nipper) (07/15/90)

In article <ENAG.90Jul14064342@svarte.ifi.uio.no> enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:
>In article <3385@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) writes:
>
>   p.s.: It's not really consequent, if we avoid any shortnames, it will look
>	   like that:
>
>   S=Arne.Steinkamm;OU=tumuc;OU=Lehrstuhl-fuer-Rechnergestuetztes-Entwerfen;
>   OU=Elektro-technik;PRMD=Technische-Universitaet-Muenchen;
>   ADMD=Deutsche-Bundespost-Telekom;C=Bundesrepublik-Deutschland
>
>Oh yeah?  If I tried to feed that C=Bundesrepublik-Deutschland into
>the nearest X.400 mailer, it's spit at me!  It's C=DE or some numeric
>code, thank you.  I would also think that ADMD=DBP it pretty much
>fixed, so you couldn't just expand it as you like.
>
>There must be some kind of correlation between the enormously long
>German words and their domain names, I think.
>--
>[Erik Naggum]

It's a long story why FYDN got so long in Germany. But as you can see
we have short names too. (BTW: the longest name I saw was about 50
characters long, something like ....adlerserver.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de  )

Arnold Nipper *** Universitaet Karlsruhe, Am Fasanengarten 5 * nipper@ira.uka.de
XLINK, Inst. fuer Betr.- und Dialogsysteme, D-7500 Karlsruhe *  +49 721 608 4331

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (07/16/90)

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:

>In article <3385@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) writes:

>   p.s.: It's not really consequent, if we avoid any shortnames, it will look
>	   like that:

>   S=Arne.Steinkamm;OU=tumuc;OU=Lehrstuhl-fuer-Rechnergestuetztes-Entwerfen;
>   OU=Elektro-technik;PRMD=Technische-Universitaet-Muenchen;
>   ADMD=Deutsche-Bundespost-Telekom;C=Bundesrepublik-Deutschland

>Oh yeah?  If I tried to feed that C=Bundesrepublik-Deutschland into
>the nearest X.400 mailer, it's spit at me!  It's C=DE or some numeric
>code, thank you.  I would also think that ADMD=DBP it pretty much
>fixed, so you couldn't just expand it as you like.

Oh, I know, it's only a choke. This choke isn't from me, it's from
some guy I don't remember at one of our networking meetings here in
germany. (He used not the same example, but one that expands to an
even longer name)

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (07/17/90)

In article <3385@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) writes:

>S=Arne.Steinkamm;OU=tumuc;OU=Lehrstuhl-fuer-Rechnergestuetztes-Entwerfen;
>OU=Elektro-technik;PRMD=Technische-Universitaet-Muenchen;
>ADMD=Deutsche-Bundespost-Telekom;C=Bundesrepublik-Deutschland

Suddenly I'm reminded of one of my beginning CS courses where
I learned the wonders of PL/1's GET LIST notation..

Was that on purpose?
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>