[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Proposal for use of DNS to store RFC 987, etc mappings

Stef@NRTC.NORTHROP.COM (Einar Stefferud) (07/17/90)

It may just be my inability to read these things with ease, but I did
not see a clear cut distinction between the records used to identify
(route to) gateways vs the records used to map TO-822 and TO-X400 in the
RFC822 and P2 envelopes.  It is not clear to me how an X400 MTA would
use these records for P1 routing to a gateway.  (Not that I think they
should not!  I absolutely think that we should find a way to do this,
without resorting to source-routing hacks!)

Could you clarify this in the text?

Also, why do you want to orient the X400 addresses least significant
element to the left, and most significant to the right, when most X400
texts tend to show them the other way around?  (Or am I wrong in this
perception?)  Is there any non-arbitrary logic here?

Next, is it reasonable to deal with the excess of DNS domain names in a
mapping TO-X400 by just arbitrarily concatenating the excess into the
lowest level OU on the X400 side?

 u@a.b.c.d.e.f.g => S$u.OU$a\.b\.c.OU$d.OU$e.OU$f.O$g.PRMD$NREN.ADMD$ .C$US

And last, what is wrong with allowing mapping all the way down to the
User Name (S$last.G$first)?

Cheers...\Stef

Christian.Huitema@MIRSA.INRIA.FR (Christian Huitema) (07/17/90)

Rob,

I read your note, and think that we should work towards its fast
finalisation, perhaps clarifying a few points.

My first remark concern the mapping ``towards X.400''. You follow-up
the mechanism which was first introduced in RFC-987, to build up a
hierarchical name as a sequence of ``typed'' tokens, e.g. a top
level "C$FR", a second level "ADMD$ATLAS", etc. This has the
advantage of precision, but it has also one serious disadvantage,
i.e. requiring the setting up of a complete new tree. I feel that
this kind of mapping is in fact contradictory with the whole
philosophy of RFC-987/1048, where after some specific top levels (C,
ADMD, PRMD) the next hierarchical tokens are mapped directly to DNS
name parts.

A specific start of the tree is certainly necessary, as the
subdomains of e.g. "C=FR" bear few relations with those of ".FR".
This could easily be provided by setting up a pseudo top domain for
"x400", in much the same way as "in-addr". But then, there is no
need to insist on the presence of the "C$" or "OU$" prefixes;
one should rather try to use the aliasing mechanism already
present in the DNS, in order to discover that e.g.
"cea.cea.atlas.fr.x400" is in fact the same domain as "cea.fr". This
has two advantages:
	* the same tree can be used at the lower levels,
	* there is no need for a specific "to-rfc" record.
This can also introduce my second remark, regarding routing and the
choice of gateways. If the naming heirarchies are in the same tree,
there is no need of inventing new routing mechanisms; you can as
well use the MX records! Indeed, there is at that point the need to
support X.400, hence the need to define a PSAP record associated to
the MX host, but this may be another matter...

My other remarks are much in the same line as Steve. I don't see
much need for a preference counter in the "to-x400" records, and I
don't see why the wildcarding mechanism should be different from
the one used for the MX records...

Christian Huitema

hagens@CS.WISC.EDU (07/18/90)

> 5.0 "This implies that there will be two separate copies of the
> mapping database, one in table form, and the other within the internet
> DNS Namespace".     I agree that this is the case.  If we go down this
> path, it is imperative that we have solid mechanisms to keep these
> two views consistent.   I don't think that you have really addressed this.

No, your right. We did not discuss the specifics for keeping the
authoritative data for a specific DNS server
and the table form consistent. At one level, it is
simply a program that produces one form from the other. At a higher level,
there are issues concerning the way in which the US collects its tables and
disseminates them to the rest of the world (and vice versa).
Another issue is how to deal with inconsistencies that may result if a site
changes their DNS server configuration file before the change has been
propagated to those gateways which do not have DNS access.

In general tho, do you think the coordination of the tables and
server config files is feasible?

> I think that the preference value is an interesting idea, however I
> don't see why it is really needed.  Then 987 mappings are global.   There
> should be no need to have alternate/preferred mappings.   A preference
> mapping would be more appopriate when choosing a 987 gateway, but not
> for the base 987 mapping.

In retrospect, I think the preference field is not going to work, for reasons
you site above. I think that in the 822->X.400 direction, the preference
field of MX records can be used to find the gateway. In the other direction,
it is a matter for X.400 routing to solve.

> You may use 987 mappings to reformat a header containing a large number of
> addresses.   It would seem reasonable to reformat the header in a single
> process.   There might be problems with DNS timeouts for headers
> with a very large number of addresses.

Yes, this is a problem with the DNS today with RFC 822 mail!
We need to make sure that back-up servers are distributed correctly.
Of course, running the DNS over the OSI connection-less network will
drastically improve connectivity and dependability! :^)

> Overall, I have a lot of sympathy with the approach you propose.  The format
> of Appendix F of 987 was not a co-incidence.   However, I have a lot of
> concern that it is not the correct operational choice.
Could you elaborate here?

Thanks,

Rob

hagens@CS.WISC.EDU (07/18/90)

> Rob,
>
> I read your note, and think that we should work towards its fast
> finalisation, perhaps clarifying a few points.
>
> My first remark concern the mapping ``towards X.400''. You follow-up
> the mechanism which was first introduced in RFC-987, to build up a
> hierarchical name as a sequence of ``typed'' tokens, e.g. a top
> level "C$FR", a second level "ADMD$ATLAS", etc. This has the
> advantage of precision, but it has also one serious disadvantage,
> i.e. requiring the setting up of a complete new tree. I feel that
> this kind of mapping is in fact contradictory with the whole
> philosophy of RFC-987/1048, where after some specific top levels (C,
> ADMD, PRMD) the next hierarchical tokens are mapped directly to DNS
> name parts.

Christian,

Our basic assumption for this work is that we will need many specific
mapping entries because the OR Address tree will not be directly derivable
from the DNS tree. For example, in the pilot project here, my X.400
address has an Org of "uw-madison". The components "wisc" and "edu" do
not appear in my address. Thus, I need a more specific mapping entry
than just C and PRMD.

If you assume that a few general mappings will work, then obviously you don't
need our proposal...

Lets discuss this more in Wisconsin! Have a good flight

Rob

harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no (Harald Tveit Alvestrand) (07/19/90)

Rob et al:
Your proposal requires (as far as I can see)
the registration of new toplevel domains C$no, C$us and so on.
Maybe we should follow Christian's proposal (I recognize the idea from
the MAILWAY code....), and put a single toplevel domain with name "X400"
or even "RFC987TABLE"?????

The administrative authority for the subdomains of this descends naturally
on the RARE MHS managers, since most of the national X.400 authorities
(whatever that is) will probably not even know what a DNS is.

Otherwise, I like your proposal.
One note: You should perhaps include a statement that "when mapping
information is not available due to DNS server downtime, the 987 gateway
should WAIT until the mapping is available, or a LONG timeout, before
non-delivering the message".
Second note: I have never seen a DNS name with a space in it.
The proposal (and RFC987 tables!) depend on $ and . being absent from
the attributes (or escaped, see the troubles with uk.ac!). With
X.400/88 we get every character under the sun into the addresses.
Is this problem generally solved by using (numeric)?

Does DNS handle a name of the form

dom(number)dom.gurba .

correctly? (parentheses and space!)
I ask from ignorance of DNS....

                        Harald

cole@CS.WISC.EDU (Bruce Cole) (07/20/90)

 > Rob et al:
 > Your proposal requires (as far as I can see)
 > the registration of new toplevel domains C$no, C$us and so on.
 > Maybe we should follow Christian's proposal (I recognize the idea from
 > the MAILWAY code....), and put a single toplevel domain with name "X400"
 > or even "RFC987TABLE"?????
If a new address class is used for the RFC987 mapping data, then adding an
extra level to the DNS tree seems unnecessary.  In this case, root nameservers
would be registered as authoritative for the new address class.  These root
nameservers do not need to be the same as the root nameservers for the
internet address class.

If the internet address class is used for the RFC987 mapping data, then storing
the new domains within a dummy top level domain seems desirable from an
administrative point of view.

 > The administrative authority for the subdomains of this descends naturally
 > on the RARE MHS managers, since most of the national X.400 authorities
 > (whatever that is) will probably not even know what a DNS is.

And if a new address class is used, then the RARE MHS managers could also be
authoritative for the root nameservers of the new address class.

 > Second note: I have never seen a DNS name with a space in it.
 > The proposal (and RFC987 tables!) depend on $ and . being absent from
 > the attributes (or escaped, see the troubles with uk.ac!). With
 > X.400/88 we get every character under the sun into the addresses.
 > Is this problem generally solved by using (numeric)?

Section 3.3.3 of RFC987 defines how special characters within O/R addresses
can be represented as (DNS safe) ascii characters for X.400/84.  RFC1138 has
a similar section which applies to X.400/88.  In both, parenthesized numbers
representing ascii codes are used to encode special characters.

 > Does DNS handle a name of the form
 >
 > dom(number)dom.gurba .
 >
 > correctly? (parentheses and space!)

Yes, for example I can add a resource record to my BIND nameserver that looks
like:
	example	in	mx 0 dom(number)dom.gur\ ba.
or
	example in	mx 0 "dom(number)dom.gur ba."

and when I query my nameserver I get:
	dip(cole): host -a example
	Trying domain "cs.wisc.edu"
	rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=1
	example.cs.wisc.edu	86400 IN	MX	0 dom(number)dom.gur ba
	dip(cole):

Bruce Cole
Computer Sciences Dept.
U. of Wisconsin - Madison

Eppenberger@verw.switch.ch ("Urs Eppenberger") (07/20/90)

Dear Rob,

It was important to start some thoughts on how the coordination problem
for the RFC987 tables could be solved. Your porposal is a very valid input
to that discussion, thanks a lot. (I'm the MHS coordinator for the Swiss
X.400 academic network SWITCHmail, which includes several RFC987 gateways
and I know personally the problems of keeping the tables up to date :-| .)

Just let me do two comments:

a) RARE WG1 does not coordinate the RFC987 tables. Actually it is done by
   the RARE MHS project team at Sintef in Norway. In the near future this
   job will be handed over to COSINE S2.1 or S2.2.
   I suggest therefore to delete the corresponding parts in your proposal
   und replace it with a 'neutral' term, i.e. RFC987 gateway table
   coordination group, ...
   Perhaps your proposal will getthe status of a standard and then it is
   important not to fix who will collect the tables.
b) As we actually suffer from recource intensive gatewaying software
   (in terms of CPU power and maintenance) I'm very concerned about how
   performant an implementation following your proposal will be.
   I suggest you to add a small chapter which studies the performance
   issue.
   (The WG1 distribution list contains 60 addresses from ca 40 different
    domains which forces the gateway to collect 60 MX records from 40
    different name servers. How long will it need to translate the
    message? A table driven mechanism will surely be faster.)
    (But clever implementation of your proposal could easily be faster
     than the software we use actually :-)  :-(   .)

Kind regards,

Urs.

harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no (Harald Tveit Alvestrand) (07/20/90)

ad performance and nameserver queries:
does it take modification of my local nameserver to cache the new-address-
class/new-type records?
if YES: who will take responsibility for updating NS SW & distributing
fixed sources?

hagens@CS.WISC.EDU (07/25/90)

> Your point (and Steve's) about synch between RFC987/1148 mappings in DNS
> and in the necessary TABLES around rthe world for those who do not have
> DNS access is indeed a well foudned problem and worthy of serious
> discussion.
>
> Question:  Is it possible to devise some way to build the TABLES from
> the DNS records on some regular basis, rather than to just not really
> try (as seems to be the way we arrived at the current DNS vs NIC-TABLES
> situation).

The zone transfer operation was designed for just such a purpose. It allows
one to snarf a piece of the DNS tree from a server. It is possible (although
resource intensive) to have a single site snarf ALL the 987 mappings from
the entire DNS system. Once this data was in hand, the mapping table could
be built. If this site was the one responsible for the worldwide tables,
I think table/DNS coordination would be minimized.

Rob

ps. obviously, such a resource intensive operation would run infrequently.

poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) (07/26/90)

In article <9007251452.AA09940@janeb.cs.wisc.edu> hagens@CS.WISC.EDU writes:
>The zone transfer operation was designed for just such a purpose. It allows
>one to snarf a piece of the DNS tree from a server. It is possible (although
>resource intensive) to have a single site snarf ALL the 987 mappings from
>the entire DNS system. Once this data was in hand, the mapping table could
>be built. If this site was the one responsible for the worldwide tables,
>I think table/DNS coordination would be minimized.
>ps. obviously, such a resource intensive operation would run infrequently.

Ah, but that's exactly the problem. The anlogue with DNS - host table just
doesn't work: if your host table is out of date, your site just looses
connectivity, if your RFC987 tables are out of date, you start injecting
messages with bad addresses into the mail system (on both sides of the
gateway) with all the problems that can cause (loops, unreplyable
messages and so on...).

In my opinion, implementing this scheme would simply mean: no RFC987
gateways for sites without full Internet connectivity.

						Simon Poole
 poole@verw.switch.ch / poole@chx400.switch.ch / mcsun!chx400!poole

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/27/90)

Hi.

Say, i think something has gone off the track here.  I thought that RFC-987
was for mapping between the Internet mail protocol as defined in RFCs 821
and 822, and the X.400 mail system.  If that is the case then wouldn't any
gateway that did RFC-987 be between the Internet and some part of the X.400
world?  That is, won't any gateway that needs to do the RFC-987 mappings have
one foot in the Internet, and therefore have access to the DNS?  So why are
we talking about hand crafted tables and all their problems?  Why can't we
use a distributes system like the DNS ???

[One could argue that we should use X.500 services to keep the mapping data
since presumably the X.500 world is coextensive with the X.400 world, and
all these gateways also have one foot in those worlds; but i won't make that
arguement.]

--jon.

pvm@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Paul Mockapetris) (07/27/90)

I must admit that I am very surprised at the direction this discussion
has taken.  For other applications, several of the participants have
argued that the DNS lacks the power for various high-powered schemes
and X.500 (or something else) was required.  But now we seem to be
hearing that the future belongs to fixed tables?  Perhaps the tables
should have line numbers in columns 73-80 as well?

The main argument for fixed tables seems to be that they are required
for some gateways without DNS access, hence they are always required,
so why keep the data in two forms which can get out of synch and cause
problems?

[Extracting data for periodic table construction via DNS is possible
at acceptable cost, modulo some transient inconsistencies, and these
transient inconsistencies are the issue.]

The main reason that the DNS is better than host tables is that it
distributes the control of configuration data; if you lose a host, you
can reconfigure your domain around it. The NIC delegates control of
about 3000 domains today.  The curve points up.  The future is with
distributed control.

Any scheme that distributes control at an acceptable cost isn't
atomic; it doesn't matter whether we are looking at X.500, DNS, or
mail of update forms to a central table building organization.  We
should build robust mechanisms and learn to live with this now, rather
than retreating.

Some lower level comments:

I would separate the function of translating between domain names and
X.400 addresses from the function of binding a X.400 address to a list
of MTAs or gateways.

The preference field has proved useful in the Internet; I wouldn't
discard it lightly.

I would not muck with the DNS view of wildcards or add the level
counting function to nameservers; the same function can be implemented
using the existing system.

One way to deal with the issue of component order is to just create a
new syntax, using say "/" as a separator.  Thus A.B would be just
another way of saying B/A.

The argument that says "MX shows that you cannot construct tables
from the DNS" is not strictly correct.  There were two things that
happened: some hosts were listed in the DNS and not in HOSTS.TXT, and
we added new functionality in MX.  For the purposes of host name to
address conversion, anyone could (or can) build scripts to make up a
table of hosts, given the host names.  The real problem is that we
added new functionality which could not be expressed in HOSTS.TXT.
Similarly, we could repeat the same backward compatibility problem
here, but only if we add new bells an whistles.

paul

Stef@NRTC.NORTHROP.COM (Einar Stefferud) (07/27/90)

Paul and Jon (One Msg to reply to you both) --

We have to recognize that we cannot build a system that requires full
network connectivity for every gateway, cause we know full well that
there will always be some significant set of hosts that will not have
full network connectivity, hence we must provide for ways to provide the
appropriate tables for the non-fully-network-connected hosts.

Full Stop!

Now that we have settled that point, what can or should we do to live
with reality and keep our sanity too?

One thing is to invent a table form of the information in the DNS that
will carry its functionality (remember the MX problem that cannot be
represented in HOSTS.TXT because HOSTS.TXT is not extensible).  What is
the problem with defining a table representation that has record types,
ala DNS, so we can have one-for-one representation of the same
information, and be as extensible in the tables as in the DNS?

And, another thing to do is define a mapping of DNS information in an
appropriate X.500 schema, which must likewise be just as extensible and
facilitate one-for-one mapping of the same information in X.500 forms.

Now, having said these relatively simple things, what am I missing here?

What is wrong with my picture?  (Aside from the fact that a little work
must be done?)  Best...\Stef;-)

Eppenberger@verw.switch.ch ("Urs Eppenberger") (07/27/90)

Dear --jon.

the use of RFC822 is not restriced to the Internet, there are SMTP networks
without connection to Internet and they also need to have gateways between
RFC822 and X.400.

Urs.

poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) (07/27/90)

In article <9007270026.AA16028@bel.isi.edu> postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:
>Say, i think something has gone off the track here.  I thought that RFC-987
>was for mapping between the Internet mail protocol as defined in RFCs 821
>and 822, and the X.400 mail system.  If that is the case then wouldn't any
>gateway that did RFC-987 be between the Internet and some part of the X.400
>world?  That is, won't any gateway that needs to do the RFC-987 mappings have
>one foot in the Internet, and therefore have access to the DNS?

No.

Two reasons:

a) Internet <-> X.400 mail system <-> local RFC822 mail system
				      (without DNS connectivity)

   is reasonably common (matter of fact the swiss universities
   were and are in exactly this situation).

b) RFC822 addresses (and running them thru a RFC987 gateway) are
   the defacto short hand notation for X.400 addresses (purists will hate
   me for saying that) at least in our academic environment.

piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema) (07/27/90)

	I thought that RFC-987 was for mapping between the Internet mail
	protocol as defined in RFCs 821 and 822, and the X.400 mail system.
Correct.

	If that is the case then wouldn't any gateway that did RFC-987 be
	between the Internet and some part of the X.400 world?
Definitely not: mapping between a protocol and some other
world does not necessarily imply gatewaying between one
particular network and some other world, even when that
network happens to be the originator and largest user of
that particular protocol.

	That is, won't any gateway that needs to do the RFC-987 mappings have
	one foot in the Internet, and therefore have access to the DNS?
No. Gateways following RFC-987 may well operate between
parts of the X.400 world and networks that are using the
"Internet mail protocol as defined...." but that do not
necessarily have access to the Internet and thus to the
Internet-wide DNS.

	Piet

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/28/90)

Stef,Piet:

I am sorry, but i really don't get it yet.  Could some one tell me about
these networks that use RFC-822 and are not part of the Internet, and don't
have access to the DNS?  I could imagine such a situation, but i don't
know of any actually existing.

I really don't understand at all what Stef is getting at by "we cannot
build a system that requires full network connectivity for every gateway".
It seems crazy to me to imagine that we can have a gateways that are not
connected to the network.  And if "there will always be some significant
set of hosts that will not have full network connectivity", lets be sure
not to use them as gateways, and lets be sure that while we provide for
them we do not limit the connected hosts to the lowest common denominator
of mechanisms and procedures.

--jon.

hagens@CS.WISC.EDU (07/28/90)

> I really don't understand at all what Stef is getting at by "we cannot
> build a system that requires full network connectivity for every gateway".
> It seems crazy to me to imagine that we can have a gateways that are not
> connected to the network.
Jon,

I also found this hard to accept at first. But may I suggest the following
scenario:

There may be RFC 822 users on a "small internet" somewhere in the world, whose
only email path into the Internet we know is via an X.400 mail system.
In this scenerio, the isolated RFC 822 users would require an RFC 987/...
gateway to operate, but that gateway would not have DNS access.

I really can't say how contrived this scenerio truly is.

> And if "there will always be some significant
> set of hosts that will not have full network connectivity", lets be sure
> not to use them as gateways, and lets be sure that while we provide for
> them we do not limit the connected hosts to the lowest common denominator
> of mechanisms and procedures.

I agree with your last sentence; I believe that the DNS can greatly assist the
987 gateways that are connected to it. It seems that this benefit outweighs
the hassel of producing a "hosts.txt" on a periodic basis for those
non-connected sites.

This *will* be a discussion item for the IETF-OSI-OR WG at the Vancouver IETF.
(Thursday AM).

Rob

Makey@Logicon.COM (Jeff Makey) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul27.145802.19330@chx400.switch.ch> poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) writes:
>Internet <-> X.400 mail system <-> local RFC822 mail system
>                                   (without DNS connectivity)

I have recently been thinking about a similar problem, which I suspect
is much more common:

    Internet <-> UUCP mail system <-> isolated internet

This problem is somewhat easier than the X.400 version because UUCP
uses RFC 822, but the isolated internet still has no direct access to
the Internet DNS (although it might run an isolated DNS for its local
domain).  The solution to both problems is conceptually simple:
provide a protocol that allows non-Internet sites to indirectly query
the Internet DNS.

Discussion thus far has concerned a proposed implementation of such a
protocol in which the entire Internet DNS would be transmitted to the
isolated network on a periodic basis.  Some other ideas I haven't seen
are:

 1) Regularly transmit different portions of the Internet DNS to the
    isolated network on a rotating schedule.  This is comparable to
    periodic transmission of the entire DNS, but spreads the
    transmission load more evenly over time.  The model for this is
    the use of USENET's comp.mail.maps newsgroup to distribute the
    UUCP Map.

 2) Transmit changes in the Internet DNS database to the isolated
    network as they occur.  Combined with the ability for new isolated
    networks to fetch the entire DNS, this seems to be a more
    efficient method than the above.

Perhaps one of the biggest problems with all of these ideas so far is
that there will be a copy of the *entire* Internet DNS per isolated
network, plus a copy maintained at each Internet site that provides
the DNS to an isolated network.  I realize that gigabyte storage is
pretty cheap these days, but who wants to do backups of all that data?

 3) Probably the best long-term solution -- particularly for
    resource-poor isolated sites -- would be a query/response protocol
    that allows an isolated resolver to obtain DNS information on an
    as-needed basis over the intermediate non-internet network.
    Something analogous to UDP/X.400 (or UDP/UUCP when appropriate)
    would do the trick.  The performance of the intermediate network
    would affect latency, but that's why timeout values are
    configurable.  The nifty side effect of this approach is that the
    protocol would be symmetrical, which means that Internet sites
    would able to query the isolated DNS, giving the the effect of the
    single global DNS envisioned in RFC 1034.

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: All opinions are strictly those of the author.
    Internet: Makey@Logicon.COM    UUCP: {nosc,ucsd}!logicon.com!Makey

he@idt.unit.no (Haavard Eidnes) (07/28/90)

There's one thing I've wanted to bring up for a while, which is
becoming more relevant as this discussion surfaced.  The issue
is with the RFC987 mapping tables, and with the inability to
distinguish between "wildcard" mappings for a domain name
and mapping only for the domain name itself. Stated in DNS RR
terms, it seems that the mapping tables has no way to distinguish
between the two following RR entries:

$origin some.domain.no.

@	WHATEVER	TO-X400 something
*	WHATEVER	TO-X400 something-else

Instead, it would seem that an entry like the first automatically
would be interpreted as a wildcard specification expressed by the
second. The corresponding RFC 987 mapping table (domain->X.400) would
only contain a single entry, covering the mapping expressed by *both*
of the above RR's:

some.domain.no#something#

This deficiency is inconvenient for several reasons. First, it runs
a bit counter to the use of wildcard matching in the DNS. Second, it
increases the size of the RFC 987 mapping tables in specific cases,
illustrated by the following example:

Say that you wished to use the address some.domain.no as the domain
name of a X.400 mail system, and host.some.domain.no as domain names
for your SMTP-speaking hosts. Furthermore, you wish to use a different
X.400 mapping for your SMTP-speaking hosts than for the X.400-speaking
hosts. If you do this, the above mentioned deficiency forces you to
register all RFC822/SMTP-speaking hosts with their own TO-X400 mapping!
This is obviously not desirable if you start conversion to X.400 (without
throwing out all SMTP/RFC822 mail systems all at once) and want to use
a "natural" addresses for your (central?) X.400 service.

This should perhaps be amended, at least before we start storing
the data in the DNS? (Not that it's not a problem for the table based
approach...)

I checked (quickly) with the RFCs 1026 and 1148 (all concerned with
mapping between X.400 and RFC 822), and they seem to have the same
problem.

I should perhaps mention that my exposure to this problem is only
second-hand, and I have yet to fully grasp all of RFC 987 and its
companions, so please excuse any inaccuracies or wrong terminology
above.

Regards,

Havard Eidnes, Postmaster &c @idt.unit.no, Uninett employee, ...
Division of Computer Systems and Telematics, Norwegian Institute of Technology

Makey@Logicon.COM (Jeff Makey) (07/31/90)

In article <9007271704.AA19586@bel.isi.edu> postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:
>Could some one tell me about
>these networks that use RFC-822 and are not part of the Internet, and don't
>have access to the DNS?

Just for example, there are hundreds -- if not thousands -- of LANs
with Sun workstations on them that are connected to the Internet only
via UUCP, or not at all.  These LANs all use RFC822/SMTP/TCP/IP for
exchanging mail among their hosts.  Most of these LANs have virtually
no support for the DNS, but instead use Sun's NIS (nee Yellow Pages)
to distribute host information.

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: All opinions are strictly those of the author.
    Internet: Makey@Logicon.COM    UUCP: {nosc,ucsd}!logicon.com!Makey

rick@UUNET.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (07/31/90)

There are even networks that use RFC822 *AND* SMTP *AND* DNS that
are not connected to the internet (they are blocked for "political"
reasons at the gateways. "Political" could be as simple as not
meeting the aceptable use policies of NSF).

Requiring connected status for domains listed in the root servers
makes no sense and cuases a fair amount of problems. (Sure
require the nameservers to have conmnected status, but there's nothing
gained by requiring the addresses they serve to be connected)

The current policies on what gets into a root server etc
needs to be reworked in a major way

--rick

vcerf@NRI.RESTON.VA.US (08/04/90)

The scenario is real. I have learned that a number of private
TCP/IP local area networks use RFC822 email but then need to
get out via X.400 public services to the commercial email worls.
These nets at NOT on the Internet!

Vint

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (08/05/90)

"postel" == postel writes:

postel> I am sorry, but i really don't get it yet.  Could some one tell me about
postel> these networks that use RFC-822 and are not part of the Internet, and don't
postel> have access to the DNS?  I could imagine such a situation, but i don't
postel> know of any actually existing.

Essentially any site running any version of BSD Unix or other academic
Unix version has a local RFC-822 compliant network. They can well be
isolated from the Internet. Essentially all the academic CS networks in
the United Kingdom are in this position; they run locally DARPA/NSF
Internet style (usually multiple) networks, but they are connected by an
OSI/ISO/X.25 WAN (Janet).

This is also true for many sites outside the USA; most software
delivered with Unix machines is by default RFC-compliant, but getting a
connection to the Internet, or even just get pointed to by the DNS may
be not easy.

I understand that there are some company networks in the USA that are
RFC compliant but are not connected or visible to the DARPA/NSF
Internet, either because they do not care, or for obsessive security
reasons.

There will be many funny happenings in Europe and the United Kingdom in
particular as more and more sites get connected to the DARPA/NSF
Internet...

--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) (08/07/90)

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
> I understand that there are some company networks in the USA that are
> RFC compliant but are not connected or visible to the DARPA/NSF
> Internet, either because they do not care, or for obsessive security
> reasons.

For us it's lack of money.  It would cost us $29K/year in fees, plus leased
line costs, to get onto NEARnet.  Since there are only a few groups here in
Wang that want Internet connectivity, the per-user cost would be too high.

Maybe in a couple of years...

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz@wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (08/08/90)

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) writes:
| For us it's lack of money.

    Well, I used to administer one of those disjoint subnets, and DNS
service was a mere nicety.  If I seriously wished to do mail with the rest
of the world, I could do so... but had little need to.
    It should be noted that, while common, most of these disjoint subnets
don't have a need for DNS service, because they communicate via
``traditional'' methods.  Ie, their users write down addresses, keep
phonebooks, use uucp pathalias, etc. If they communicate at all (:-)).

    If I was faced with making one such subnet communicate, I'd do so by
indirection [Note: I'm faced with making four such subnets communicate in
the coming academic year!].  Given a local DNS, I'd teach it the Internet
way of contacting the intermediary (x25 gateway, trusted workstation, tape
drive, etc).  I'd teach the intermediary the rest.
    This requires a mailer that will will wait for arbitrarily long times
for the DNS to get ``primed'' with the information it needs to construct a
valid address, and could absolutely roadblock an ill-advised user agent that
tried to use DNS queries to help its user (:-)).
    Fortunatly, I have such a mailer(MTA) and a non-helpfull user agent.

    Alas, I don't see the relevance of RFC 987 mappings to this problem.
If I was gatewaying into another world and not just using it as transport...
Has this discussion drifted?

--dave (progress reports will be posted/mailed if desired) c-b
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave