[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] CS top-level domain and its impact on the UK?

wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) (07/10/90)

Regarding Jon Postel's message to the NAMEDROPPERS list:

	The country codes are to be taken from the list in
	ISO-3166 which was set up in 1981.  In that list
	the two letter code for Czechoslovakia is CS.

As I understand it, many people in the UK (where they use "big-endian"
domain names that start with the top level) are concerned about what
will happen if "CS" does become a top-level domain -- since this will
presumably break the heuristics their gateways use to determine if a
domain name needs to be reversed.

(For example, consider a certain university in the US, whose computer
science department uses the domain name "CS.UCLA.EDU".  How are the UK
mail relays going to know that this is not in fact a reverse-ordered
form of a Czechoslovakian domain name "EDU.UCLA.CS"?

What's the current thinking on this?  I suppose someone could try and
suggest that everyone help the UK out by abandoning the use of "CS" as
a bottom-level domain -- but, realistically, this is unlikely to occur.

Is this the straw that is going to break the back of the UK's domain
name ordering, and force them to switch to "bottom-level-first" now,
rather than try to "stick it out" until X.400 takes over the world?

-- Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683
   "This is yet another example of how our actions have random results."

pb@computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk (Piete Brooks, Postmaster) (07/10/90)

> Is this the straw that is going to break the back of the UK's domain
> name ordering, and force them to switch to "bottom-level-first" now,
> rather than try to "stick it out" until X.400 takes over the world?
* Absolutely NOTHING stands ANY chance at all of changing the "official" UK
* order.
* Their statement is that there is no big/little endian problem.
* All addresses is the UK are in UK order, and all gateways simply flip
* addresses on the way through.

* What we (the UK) really need is a way of dumping the DNS (to which 99.9% of
* us do not have access, and the 0.1% which does has an aversion to using)
* so that we could at least know all second level domains.

* That way cs.ucla.edu would get a two domain match, whereas edu.ucla.cs would
* only get one.

* [ Here's hoping my mail doesn't go via Chile !
*   [ My "short form" address is uk.ac.cam.cl ]
* ]

lazear@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (07/10/90)

It would seem that this is an example of where a translating,
application-level gateway is required:  to map between one
naming convention and another.  Sure, it's nice if you can do
it by inspection (user@host vs /c=uk/o=btc/pn=pjones/), but
when the forms are very close, you need to have more infrastructure
to make the break a clean one.  There are gateways between BITNET
and CSNET and MILNET, and the similarities in name formats are
sorted out there.  But the end user needs to aim the message at
the gateway...it doesn't get there by magic.  Perhaps it's time
to bite the bullet and admit that there needs to be a more formal
interface between the UK scheme and the rest of the Internet?
Or, as was suggested, perhaps the UK scheme needs to be dropped
in favor of "harmonization" of the domain name system.

	Walt Lazear

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (07/10/90)

Why would you want to know ``all second level domains''?  What's the
difference?

Sounds like you're still doing heuristics on domain-name order.  Why?

		Craig

john@mintaka.mlb.semi.harris.com (John M. Blasik) (07/11/90)

wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:

>What's the current thinking on this?  I suppose someone could try and
>suggest that everyone help the UK out by abandoning the use of "CS" as
>a bottom-level domain -- but, realistically, this is unlikely to occur.

maybe they should ask Czechoslovakia to use "GB" since the UK doesn't need it.

from ISO 3166:
United Kingdom			GB	GBR	826

john

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (07/22/90)

In article <9007101320.AA03269@dockside.mitre.org>
lazear@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG writes:

   Perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and admit that there needs to
   be a more formal interface between the UK scheme and the rest of the
   Internet?

The problem that many USA and GB alike people seem to constantly forget
is that JANET and PSS ar *not* on the Internet in any sense of the
world. They are not part of the Internet, period. The fact that a Janet
address looks like an Internet address with the domains in reverse order
is entirely (well, almost) coincidental.

The fact that in the Internet the top level domain country code is GB
for the United Kingdom and CS for Czechoslovakia has no relevance
whatever for Janet and PSS, whose name spaces are administered by the
NRS according to rules that are not the Internet ones, even if there are
points of contact and similarities, that however engender a lot of
confusion.

When I see discussions by people quoting RFCs and wishing that
everybody conform to them, e.g. register in the DNS, etc..., they seem
to constantly forget that the Internet is *one* net, even if the
largest.

If the people on the Internet harbor the delusion that everybody must
respect the relevant RFCs, or else, they will lose connectivity with not
just the UUCP world, but also the UK, BITNET, and many others.

The next step in the evolution of the Internet is to recognize that
there are many Internets, and not only you want to link together many
networks running the same homogenous set of protocols and conventions,
but also heterogenous ones, e.g. at least:

	Internet
	UUCP
	BITNET
	Janet/PSS
	DECnet

On the other hand I wish that we all belonged to the Internet. I'd much
have preferred an XNS based, rather than a TCP/IP based, Internet, but
alas -- this is an impossible dream. What I sure do not want to see, and
I semm not to be alone as apparently many sites are migrating as quickly
away from it as they can, is an ISO/GOSIP based Internet taking shape --
things like Janet (i.e. its protocols) are a relic of the past. Still,
the practical point is that the Internet is most convenient, yet it is
not the only internet around.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

thorinn@DIKU.DK (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) (07/23/90)

Piercarlo Grandi <pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk> writes:

   The fact that in the Internet the top level domain country code is GB
   for the United Kingdom and CS for Czechoslovakia has no relevance
   whatever for Janet and PSS, ...

There are two points that I have been waiting for someone to raise;
both concern the gatewaying between Janet and the Internet, where the
facts above do have relevance.

1) Why are Janet addresses converted into the DNS toplevel domain uk,
when it probably should be gb according to the discussion here?

2) Do the gateways accept ``wrong-format'' addresses from either side
--- that is, stuff like pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk coming
from the Internet, or someone@uprague.cs from the Janet? If not, why
worry about cs as a country code?

As a point of interest: How does mail to (and from) random countries
navigate the Janet? Do all the corresponding top-level names exist in
Janet's naming scheme, do all the mailers have hacks to send the
stuff, or do the gateways encapsulate the offending addresses with
something like the %-hack?

--
Lars Mathiesen, DIKU, U of Copenhagen, Denmark      [uunet!]mcsun!diku!thorinn
Institute of Datalogy -- we're scientists, not engineers.      thorinn@diku.dk

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (07/23/90)

I'm not entirely certain how happy I am about things in the UK in
general, but when we get major confusion from that island, it bugs me.
A few points, since I don't have time to tackle all the confusion in
Piercarlo Grandi's article.

In article <PCG.90Jul22172454@thor.cs.aber.ac.uk>,
pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

> The problem that many USA and GB alike people seem to constantly
> forget is that JANET and PSS ar *not* on the Internet in any sense
> of the world.

"word", presumably.  You are not connected to the Internet proper with
Internet (IP-level) addresses.  You are, however, reachable from the
Internet through relevant gateways.  This means that these gateway are
on the Internet and have to follow Internet rules on one side and
whatever local conventions you have on the other side.

> The fact that in the Internet the top level domain country code is GB
> for the United Kingdom

It's my understanding of the issue that the national top level domain
is "UK" for the United Kingdom.  ISO 3166, which is the basis for top
level domain names in the Internet, specifies "GB".  It's also my
understanding that it was the then administrators of NRS or whatever
who decided to implement their own hack with respect to domain names,
and ignore ISO 3166.

> When I see discussions by people quoting RFCs and wishing that
> everybody conform to them, e.g. register in the DNS, etc..., they seem
> to constantly forget that the Internet is *one* net, even if the
> largest.

If you want to talk to or with the Internet, follow Internet rules.
It's as simple as that.  If you continue to insist that you should be
allowed to follow whatever rules you fancy on the Internet, you will
have to be taken off the net, either by force from the Internet side,
or by default, since you won't be reachable.  The DNS registration is
to ensure that we can talk to you.  There's nothing wrong in adver-
tising one gateway to the entire United Kingdom and let the gateways
take care of addressing failures, but it will create a hell of a
demand on the gateways, and cause large amounts of traffic which could
be avoided by better registration.

> If the people on the Internet harbor the delusion that everybody must
> respect the relevant RFCs, or else, they will lose connectivity with not
> just the UUCP world, but also the UK, BITNET, and many others.

I believe you harbor the delusion that Internet RFCs are relevant off
the Internet.  This is hardly the Internet's fault.  Internet RFCs are
very relevant _on_ the Internet.  People who think otherwise will lose
connectivity.  Personally, I don't think it would such a tragic loss
to lose connectivity with the UK, but that's beside the point.

> The next step in the evolution of the Internet is to recognize that
> there are many Internets, and not only you want to link together many
> networks running the same homogenous set of protocols and conventions,
> but also heterogenous ones, e.g. at least:  [list deleted]

This is largely achieved by having gateways that accept and follow the
rules of both the networks they're on.  You seem to think that the
Internet should accept all sorts of standards, and have failed to
grasp the idea of a gateway.  This is not the Internet's fault,
either.

There is one Internet.  There are other interoperating networks, which
are not called "the Internet".  Your confusion may be based on this
assumption, as well.

> On the other hand I wish that we all belonged to the Internet. I'd
> much have preferred an XNS based, rather than a TCP/IP based,
> Internet, but alas -- this is an impossible dream.

You are free to attempt to get acceptance for a system of inter-
connected XNS based networks any time.  Those of us who have worked
with IP and TCP at the detail level find that they form some of the
very best in networking protocols available.  Compared to the OSI
stuff, well, let's not compare it to the OSI stuff.

> What I sure do not want to see, and I [seem] not to be alone as
> apparently many sites are migrating as quickly away from it as they
> can, is an ISO/GOSIP based Internet taking shape -- things like
> Janet (i.e. its protocols) are a relic of the past. Still, the
> practical point is that the Internet is most convenient, yet it is
> not the only internet around.

This doesn't scan well.  Are you saying that many sites are migrating
as quickly away from ISO/GOSIP networks as they can?  I wasn't aware
of any ISO/GOSIP networks that any site could migrate away from to
begin with, and it seems to me that this ISO/GOSIP stuff is being mi-
grated _to_ by people who want to win contracts with the GOSIP folks.
I know I would be very happy to be wrong, but the trade rags haven't
made me feel that way for a long time.  (In fact, I got unhappy with
most trade rags when the IBM PC caught on, but that's another story.)

The technical issues in this discussion are based on an annoying in-
sistence upon misunderstanding the design of the Internet.  The Inter-
net side has been very accomodating, as I see it, and gets nothing but
flak from people varying from slightly to extremely lacking in know-
ledge about it.  The Internet is not a giant commercial undertaking
with gobs of government support, either, like certain other _proposed_
networks and network technologies.  However, it has done things right,
from the start or through informed experimentation.  The results are
truly astounding.

I can't say the same about the United Kingdom way of doing things, and
this silly both-ways addressing problem is but one of the buggy things
that proves that it's begging for a cleanup.  I think I could do it
for as little as a hundred million pound sterling, and less operating
costs after cutover.  Give me three years, and you'll have Internet
all over the United Kingdom.  Any takers?  :-)
--
[Erik Naggum] <erik@naggum.uu.no>	+47-256-7822

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (07/28/90)

"enag" == Erik Naggum writes:
enag> Originator: enag@slembe.ifi.uio.no

enag> In article <PCG.90Jul22172454@thor.cs.aber.ac.uk>,
enag> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

pcg> The fact that in the Internet the top level domain country code is GB
pcg> for the United Kingdom

enag> It's also my understanding that it was the then administrators of
enag> NRS or whatever who decided to implement their own hack with
enag> respect to domain names, and ignore ISO 3166.

Which they are perfectly entitled to, because Janet and the NRS are
totally independent of the DNS and Internet. The use of ISO 3166 is an
Internet convention; other networks can use other conventions.

pcg> When I see discussions by people quoting RFCs and wishing that
pcg> everybody conform to them, e.g. register in the DNS, etc..., they seem
pcg> to constantly forget that the Internet is *one* net, even if the
pcg> largest.

enag> If you want to talk to or with the Internet, follow Internet rules.
enag> It's as simple as that.

Say that to the X.400 people. They sure will listen. :-) :-).

enag> If you continue to insist that you should be allowed to follow
enag> whatever rules you fancy on the Internet, you will have to be
enag> taken off the net, either by force from the Internet side, or by
enag> default, since you won't be reachable.

That's not the problem, the problem is whether the Internet has ways to
address of issue of communicating with networks that do not follow
Internet rules. As far as I am aware, the % hack is the only half baked
way, and all its critics clamor instead for its removal and everybody
registering with the DNS, and having MXs point at the relevant gateways.
This is clearly *impossible*. It will never happen, not even within the
USA. It is not even desirable.

But a lot of people in this newgroup forget about that, as I have
already remarked. They complain about Janet/NRS names not complying to
RFC syntax. Well, precisely -- they have nothing to do with Internet
syntax, they belong to a different world, like the UUCP ones (to which
exactly the same ideas apply).

This is forgotten by all the Internetcentrics that for example think
that everything that has dots in it must be an Internet name, and would
therefore do rabid name resolution based on that delusion. The % hack is
not an hack to do source routing; it is a way to say @ in a non Internet
sense within an Internet address. If we had a network out there where
the dot had a special meaning, we would need a dot synonym as well
probably.

Should a gateway rewrite any addresses in NRS format to DNS format? even
if in signatures? Even if they make no sense in the DNS? I think not,
IMNHO, because in general it is not *possible*, because ther emay be no
equivalent.

Even in the easiear cases, it may be better not to provide translations
between two different naming syntaxes/conventions.

Suppose that I send a message to the Internet from Janet; I should
address it (and I do) as

	enag%slembe.ifi.uio.no@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay

because I must address the gateway using NRS conventions (and this
explains what is at the right of the @), and I cannot use the DNS
address the target while using the @ contained in it because that has
meaning for the NRS.  Almost by chance the Janet-Internet gateway uses
the percent hack to resolve the overloading of @, but it could decide to
accept e.g. '#' as a synonym for the DNS @, or provide some form of
quoting (which would be best, or my idea to use a Then-To: header for
gateway use).

When I get a reply from the Internet, it might/should be addressed as
(assuming that the Internet side of the gateway uses % as a synonym for
@ as well):

	pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-rely.Janet.net
	pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-rely.NRS.org
	pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-rely.ac.gb

(which one do you think would be most appropriate, incidentally?) but
not as

	pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk

which is not a legal Internet address (ironically it may be currently
valid though, because of the double registration of Janet names in the
NRS and the DNS, if I remember correctly).

Of course there is no reason to assume that I need type all this myself;
the MTA could apply heuristics (which break down in the CS case for
example, but that is not a problem with naming schemes, only with the
heuristics) and detect when the supplied address is outside the locally
valid naming zone and generate the reference to the appropriate gateway
in the apporpriate form, e.g. using tables, as we seem condemned to do,
both Janet and Internet, when addressing somebody in the X.400 world.

pcg> If the people on the Internet harbor the delusion that everybody
pcg> must respect the relevant RFCs, or else, they will lose
pcg> connectivity with not just the UUCP world, but also the UK, BITNET,
pcg> and many others.

	[ ... avoiding ... ]
enag> This is largely achieved by having gateways that accept and follow the
enag> rules of both the networks they're on.  You seem to think that the
enag> Internet should accept all sorts of standards, and have failed to
enag> grasp the idea of a gateway.  This is not the Internet's fault,
enag> either.

I think you have failed to understand the context of this discussion at
all, which was why the % hack is necessary. Let me repeat here in yet
another form: it is necessary to hide @'s that have meaning in non
Internet naming zone addresses from over eager Internet resolvers, and
thus avoid breakdowns in the heuristics used to convert addresses
between two different conventions.

Were it true that gateways were properly designed! And were it true that
gateways *could* be properly designed, that they could convert all
addresses meaningfully.

On a fairly different subject:

enag> This doesn't scan well.  Are you saying that many sites are migrating
enag> as quickly away from ISO/GOSIP networks as they can?

Oh yes.

enag> I wasn't aware of any ISO/GOSIP networks that any site could
enag> migrate away from to begin with,

Well, in continental Europe the *only* WANs available are ISO oriented
(and eventually GOSIP oriented). What is happening that the level of
service is crude enough and expensive enough that many sites are running
a largish segment of the Internet in Europe using these WANs as
transport, with TCP/IP tunnelling on X.25 (or ISDN when available, or
even on point-to-point lines, even switched ones, where not available).

Norway is different because it was on the ARPAnet since SATNET days.

enag> and it seems to me that this ISO/GOSIP stuff is being migrated
enag> _to_ by people who want to win contracts with the GOSIP folks.

That is something that is happening with the *government*. Where people
have to pay with their own funds, the move away from ISO and to TCP/IP
is obvious to the naked eye. In Europe it is slowest in the UK, where
Janet is (nearly) 100% government subsidized, and for some EEC projects,
where the same idea applies.

enag> I know I would be very happy to be wrong, but the trade rags haven't
enag> made me feel that way for a long time.

No, no. You can be happy, try to figure out the number of names in the
Internet that have a .de .dk .nl .fr .se .fi top domain and their
increase in the last few years. De facto, the Internet is today the
dominant international WAN in continental Europe, at least as far as the
research community is concerned.

enag> Give me three years, and you'll have Internet
enag> all over the United Kingdom.  Any takers?  :-)

If only...

I think it could be done in three months. I reckon virtually all Janet
sites actually run Internet protocols locally, and by buying
off-the-shelf switching equipment and reusing the current lines a switch
to TCP/IP interconnection among them could be done fairly quickly.

--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (07/29/90)

In article <PCG.90Jul28175500@odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
[ many things ]

To stop english mail-users to try stopping Csechoslovakia from using the
ISO language code, and to make clear that JANET is a separate net which
doesn't want to be on the Internet, why not establish yet another pseudo-
domain ? Let them be known as foo@bar.baz.janet or something. It is their
users and their gateways that needs to be told things, and is't certainly
not Csechoslovakias fault that the UK domain scheme is backwards. It can't
be that hard for the gateways to turn the adresses around.

Per
--
---
Per Andersson

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (07/29/90)

Seems to me a straightforward solution to the ambiguity of UK addresses
is for the uk nameservers to simply map the entire uk string as subdomains
in a global .gb domain.  For example,

	uk.ac.man.cs	would become	ac.man.cs.gb
	uk.co.wombat			co.wombat.gb

which unambiguously lets the UK keep their addressing system AND share in
the global DNS.

Did I miss something?  Or is this too obvious?
	- Brian

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (07/29/90)

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:

> Let them be known as foo@bar.baz.janet or something.

I hope I'm right in reading sarcasm into this statement.  I thought we got
away from network based addresses LONG time ago.

Besides, you're mixing up two separate issues there:

The political issue:  the .UK registry (known as the NRS) registers
names the wrong way round in their forms.  I'm under .UK so I'm
OFFICIALLY registered as UK.CO.ROBOBAR (yes, in capitals :-) but I'm not
on JANET [though to be mailable from JANET, I must register an
APPLICATION-RELAY who _is_ on JANET to send me my mail -- its like an MX
-- that seems reasonable to me].

The technical issue:  the coloured book transport mechanisms officially
used on JANET uses reversed names.  That's TRANSPORT.  UUCP transport is
far worse, and yet it is possible to Get Things Nearly Right with UUCP.

It's also politically necessary for some Universities to have to provide
a user interface that accepts these backwards addresses, this is ALSO
not a real problem (see below).

The current situation is in fact only minimally sub-optimal.  NRS addresses
ARE valid Internet addresses -- The Internet domains under .UK
belong to the NRS, that is all.  And yes, Piercarlo, they _are_
Internet domains.

OK, so 99.9 % of the domains under .UK are just MX'd behind either the
nsf.ac.uk or mcsun.eu.net (like me) but that's neither here nor there.
Lots of North American domains are similarly MX'd behind uunet.uu.net,
et.  al.  What's the difference ?

> and is't certainly
> not Csechoslovakias fault that the UK domain scheme is backwards. It can't
> be that hard for the gateways to turn the adresses around.

Simple.  The NRS scheme requires that ALL addressable hosts are
registered in the database.  The correct solution is to try the reversed
addressed address for an EXACT match in the NRS database, and if it
isn't there, then it isn't a valid NRS address, SO USE IT THE RIGHT WAY
ROUND.  Some JANET-type oughta write up an RFC for this sorta thing :-)

The heuristics are similar to those you need for matching incomplete
local addresses.  After all, a hypothetical jerry@complex.math.foo.edu
who wanted to mail freddy@gizmo.cs.foo.edu might quite reasonably say
that "mail freddy@gizmo.cs" should work as he expects, and only if
gizmo.cs.foo.edu doesn't exist does he expect the mailer to look in
Czechoslovakia.

Whether it does or not should be a LOCAL policy issue and not impinge on
the Internet at large.  I would personally prefer not to have lost the
ability to mail the REAL gizmo.CS and REQUIRE FQDNs even internally
("so set up a mail alias" would be what I'd say) but that's a *LOCAL*
policy issue.

Which way round you start off with depends on your political needs.
Some UK Universities are quite powerful enough not to need to bother, so
some of their user interfaces provide support for correctly ordered
addresses.  More cautious places may need to leave their general mail
services the wrong way round, but that's a *LOCAL* problem.

All you need to do is treat JANET as a local net with a strange
internal interface.  That's all.  Internally, JANET sites have a simple
technical solution, which only requires that they specify which
way round any particular user interface is configured.  If they ALL
just specified them the right way round, there's nothing their political
masters could do about it.  "I'm sorry sir, the sendmail.cf's come
from the USA configured like this and we don't have a mail guru who
can fix it.  We have been asking for this extra sysadmin post for a while
but budget restrictions have frozen recruitment this year."

The kludge of trying to accept addresses either way round globally
is just a bad kludge.  But it did mean that no decisions needed to be
made, I guess.  Now the kludge is starting to get strained, perhaps
someone will have to do something.  I must admit I'm glad it's not me.
--
Eunet: Ronald.Khoo@robobar.Co.Uk  Phone: +44 81 991 1142  Fax: +44 81 998 8343
Paper: Robobar Ltd. 22 Wadsworth Road, Perivale, Middx., UB6 7JD ENGLAND.

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (07/30/90)

The saga continues...

In article <1990Jul29.235750.20841@kth.se>, Per Andersson suggests:

In article <1990Jul29.103214.14864@robobar.co.uk>, Ronald S H Khoo replies:
> I hope I'm right in reading sarcasm into this statement.  I thought we got
> away from network based addresses LONG time ago.

Well, not yet.  Remember BITNET.  UUCP is still out there.  It could
be a good solution to introduce JANET as a fake-domain until you guys
clean up your act and get it right.

> Besides, you're mixing up two separate issues there:

Excuse me, but I think you're the one who's mixing up things around
here.  Your particular problem is that you have nonfunctional gateway
software, and you pretend to make this a problem at the other side of
the gateway.  Since I'm at the other side, and care about doing things
right at this side, I get pissed each time some UK idea comes up to
"adapt" the world to their silly ways.

> The technical issue:  the coloured book transport mechanisms officially
> used on JANET uses reversed names.  That's TRANSPORT.  UUCP transport is
> far worse, and yet it is possible to Get Things Nearly Right with UUCP.

Wrong. Domain names are properly referred to as _session_ mechanisms,
if you want to use that contrived ISO model.  I don't know the details
about your colored books, and I don't want to, but I suspect that at
the transport layer, you talk about some X.121 address or at least
something to stuff into the address block of the call request packet
of your very advanced X.25 network.  Likewise, we don't use domain
names at the TCP-level, we translate the domain name into a 32-bit
IP-address before TCP gets involved.  Domain names inhabit the app-
lication layers in the Internet protocol suite.  There is nothing
wrong about using domain names at the application layer that translate
to UUCP node names somewhere at the transport layer, further enhanced
by fancy telephone numbers.  People do that all the time.  There is
even a draft out which considers ISDN addresses for Internet transport
services (TP/IX).

The problem with this insipid reversed name style is that it is up to
the applications to do it right, and it wouldn't have been a problem
if you UK types could get sufficiently intelligent designers from
abroad to write your software.  Of course, since you're backwards, and
your users won't exactly understand that all by themselves, they will
use Internet domain names for addressing purposes.  So, you can choose
between a major operation to educate the users to understand that UK
is one way, the rest of the world is the other way, or a major oper-
ation to get this silly JANET convention killed and safely buried.
Nobody will mourn its passing.

> The current situation is in fact only minimally sub-optimal.  NRS
> addresses ARE valid Internet addresses -- The Internet domains under
> .UK belong to the NRS, that is all.  And yes, Piercarlo, they _are_
> Internet domains.

Ah, I'm sorry to reveal a maximally sub-optimal and important
distinction between NRS names and Internet domain names (not
_addresses_, damn it!).  You've probably heard it before, so it
shouldn't be new to you: NRS names are _reversed_ relative to the
order used by the DNS.  Novel, eh?

> OK, so 99.9 % of the domains under .UK are just MX'd behind either the
> nsf.ac.uk or mcsun.eu.net (like me) but that's neither here nor there.
> Lots of North American domains are similarly MX'd behind uunet.uu.net,
> et.  al.  What's the difference ?

The difference is:  <suspenseful pause>  They're REVERSED!

God, this is getting to be really funny.

> Simple.  The NRS scheme requires that ALL addressable hosts are
> registered in the database.  The correct solution is to try the reversed
> addressed address for an EXACT match in the NRS database, and if it
> isn't there, then it isn't a valid NRS address, SO USE IT THE RIGHT WAY
> ROUND.  Some JANET-type oughta write up an RFC for this sorta thing :-)

I hope no JANET-type will ever attempt such a horrible thing.  This is
a JANET-local problem, and should properly concern not a single person
off your particular island.

There is no guarantee that FOOBAR.CS (Internet) and FOOBAR.CS (JANET)
will not exist at the same time.  The correct way to do it is not to
ask the Internet first, either, but to drop the JANET convention, or
to successfully hide it from the rest of the world.  The latter is a
truly major undertaking (as witness the current discussion), while the
former is routine in comparison.

> The heuristics are similar to those you need for matching incomplete
> local addresses.  After all, a hypothetical jerry@complex.math.foo.edu
> who wanted to mail freddy@gizmo.cs.foo.edu might quite reasonably say
> that "mail freddy@gizmo.cs" should work as he expects, and only if
> gizmo.cs.foo.edu doesn't exist does he expect the mailer to look in
> Czechoslovakia.

The Internet decided to deprecate this practice about two years ago.
It is no longer relevant, precisely because of the problems that arise
from its usage.  The Host Requirements RFC mandates use of Fully Qual-
ified Domain Names in all instances.  This does not require heuristics
or randomly-lose options, only simple algorithms.

> Whether it does or not should be a LOCAL policy issue and not impinge on
> the Internet at large.  I would personally prefer not to have lost the
> ability to mail the REAL gizmo.CS and REQUIRE FQDNs even internally
> ("so set up a mail alias" would be what I'd say) but that's a *LOCAL*
> policy issue.

Wrong.  It ceases to be a local policy issue the day some unsuspecting
individual discloses his address to another user.  This is also why
that silly JANET convention has become a global problem: Some unsus-
pecting users will give out their JANET-version address to some other
unsuspecting users, and interoperability suffers, at the cost of
frustrated users and postmasters wasting their time at both ends.  The
rules for when it would be appropriate to use a local, abbreviated
domain name are very complex.  It's not a string comparison, to put it
that way.

> The kludge of trying to accept addresses either way round globally
> is just a bad kludge.  But it did mean that no decisions needed to be
> made, I guess.  Now the kludge is starting to get strained, perhaps
> someone will have to do something.  I must admit I'm glad it's not me.

Someone, that is, from United Kingdom.  The problem is that all too
many of your countrymen are so fucking glad it's not them that it's
never going to happen.

And the really sad thing is that this stupidity is wasting time all
over the place.  Users can't get mail to work properly, signatures,
letter heads and business cards advertise inappropriate addresses,
postmasters get bugged by their users, people think that electronic
mail in general doesn't work, manual authors devote a whole chapter to
perverted addressing forms, lots of network people waste their time
trying to cope with the problem, and hundreds of articles are written
to denounce the silly Brits, and some silly Brits making a successful
attempt to prove that there is no hope to get them to understand and
change their ways.

The person responsible for this idiotic decision should be flogged.

Sometimes I think we would do lots of people a favor by _sinking_ the
entire island.  I mean, taking out a five mile thick horizontal slab
of land below sea-level and move it somewhere it could earn a more
useful keep than it does today.  This would give real substance to the
Atlantis myth, excepting of course that Atlantis was supposed to be a
nice place with streets of gold.  That will have to remain a myth.

I have a map of Europe on my wall that has a nice blue color off the
northwest coast of France.  Beautiful.
--
[Erik Naggum]		Gaustadalleen 21	+47-256-7822
<erik@naggum.uu.no>	N-0371 OSLO; NORWAY	+47-260-4427 (fax)

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (07/30/90)

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>The kludge of trying to accept addresses either way round globally
>is just a bad kludge.  But it did mean that no decisions needed to be
>made, I guess.  Now the kludge is starting to get strained, perhaps
>someone will have to do something.  I must admit I'm glad it's not me.

  I should note that one of the causes of this situation is the
non-uniqueness of the syntax: both overload the characters "." and "@" for
similar purposes, but use them in a different namespace.  We've become all
too used to distinguishing namespaces by their syntax (":" and "!"-based,
notably) and tend to be sucessfully misled...

  Compare this to the problem of structures in typed programming
languages:
	struct fixed_dns_like_t {
		char	*host,
			*subdomain,
			*domain,
			*toplevelDomain;
	} Murrican;
	struct fixed_janet_like_t {
		char	*toplevelDomain;
			*domain,
			*subdomain,
			*host;
	} UKnian;
  If I saw the above in a "C" program, I'd wonder about
1) the programmer's sense of humor, and
2) the compiler that managed to disambiguate it, and
3) portability to the usual compilers elsewhere.
  Then I'd start wondering about funding a rewrite (:-))

  Seriously, though, the heuristic that allows the two forms
to coexist needs to be **very** widely promulgated, and the
cross-registration that allows it be mandated for a fixed
period, during which no-one in the internet would be allowed
to register uk.ac.*.cs
  On second thought, add a (:-)) to that too: I can't quite
take it seriously!

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave

Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) (07/30/90)

In article <ENAG.90Jul29224449@slembe.ifi.uio.no> enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:
>The saga continues...
>
>The problem with this insipid reversed name style is that it is up to
>the applications to do it right, and it wouldn't have been a problem
>if you UK types could get sufficiently intelligent designers from
>abroad to write your software.  Of course, since you're backwards, and
>your users won't exactly understand that all by themselves, they will
>use Internet domain names for addressing purposes.  So, you can choose
>between a major operation to educate the users to understand that UK
>is one way, the rest of the world is the other way, or a major oper-
>ation to get this silly JANET convention killed and safely buried.
>Nobody will mourn its passing.
Somebody will!

Why is janets convension backward???? I think the Internet one is
backward!!! It feels more right to do it the Janet way.

Everything that the USA does is not good, just look at what they
have done with character sets.

>> The heuristics are similar to those you need for matching incomplete
>> local addresses.  After all, a hypothetical jerry@complex.math.foo.edu
>> who wanted to mail freddy@gizmo.cs.foo.edu might quite reasonably say
>> that "mail freddy@gizmo.cs" should work as he expects, and only if
>> gizmo.cs.foo.edu doesn't exist does he expect the mailer to look in
>> Czechoslovakia.
>
>The Internet decided to deprecate this practice about two years ago.

Did they? But it is much nicer to do it with incomplete local adresses.
Instead only two character top domains should be allowed (that is
remove edu, com etc.) and no two character subdomains.

   Dan

--
Dan Oscarsson                              Department of Computer Science
                                           Lund Institute of Technology

sow@cad.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul30.095853.21359@lth.se> Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) writes:

|Why is janets convension backward???? I think the Internet one is
|backward!!! It feels more right to do it the Janet way.

Hmm... Backwards or not why did you write your own address,
"Computer Science, Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden" ????

|Everything that the USA does is not good, just look at what they
|have done with character sets.

But US creates working code that they distibute free!!! We in
Europe is experts in large never ending investigations. If we
don't have an valid ISO standard, sit on our ass and wait for it.

And when some kind of mail standard comes (X.400) it did not support
local charactersets in the address field GREAT.

Sven-Ove Westberg, CAD, University of Lulea, S-951 87 Lulea, Sweden.
Internet: sow@cad.luth.se

rick@UUNET.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (07/30/90)

UUNET is the forwarder for the .CL (Chile) domain.

About a year ago we added the following line to our sendmail.cf

R$+<@uk.$+.cl>		$#error$:No such host

This keeps misdirected Janet mail from being sent over the expensive
link to Chile.

Whoever is forwarding for .CS will undoubtably have to do the same.

---rick

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (07/30/90)

Arrrrrgggggghhhhh !

Firstly the UK is not == to JANET !  There is life outside JANET and most
(if not all) if the commercial sites in the UK have correct domain ordering
(foo.bar.co.uk) both internally and externaly.   All of the gateways
available to commercial sites work the right way round (hi peter) so
where is the problem ?

Answer: rutherford     1/2 :-)

I don't see that in the real world there is a problem the gateway
should (and as far as I can see does) convert (well ukc does anyway).
Can anyone sight an example of mail the was correctly addressed with
a FQDN in the right order for the local mailer ending up in the wrong
place due to a domain order problem with the UK ?

BTW if you think the UK domain order is bad try X.400, HDB uucp
won't pass X.400 addressed mail because of the `/' in the addresses.

--
John Pettitt, Specialix International,
Email: jpp@specialix.com Tel +44 (0) 9323 54254 Fax +44 (0) 9323 52781

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul29.103214.14864@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>> I wrote : Let them be known as foo@bar.baz.janet or something.
>I hope I'm right in reading sarcasm into this statement.  I thought we got
>away from network based addresses LONG time ago.

Hmm. There is some sarcasm, yes. The obvious Internet way is to name it .gb
of course. And as said, there is .UUCP and .BITNET for others who can't/won't
conform to Internet naming. So whats another one ? That makes it
foo@bar.baz.gb, the ISO-3166 way. And if, as announced, the commercial sites
got their domains the Internet way, the probably can be reaonably snappy
in changing top level domain. So when are we ready with the MX-records ?
Any year now.

Per
--
---

Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) (07/31/90)

In article <1551@ulmo1.mt.luth.se> sow@cad.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) writes:
>In article <1990Jul30.095853.21359@lth.se> Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) writes:
>|
>|Why is janets convension backward???? I think the Internet one is
>|backward!!! It feels more right to do it the Janet way.
>|

>Hmm... Backwards or not why did you write your own address,
>"Computer Science, Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden" ????

Because thats the standard for writing an adress on paper mail, not
because it looks best that way.

I feel it is right to use sow@cad.luth.se if you see the domain adress as
an adress seen from the local domain, then you could write
a mail to user@xxx.luth.se by only using user@xxx. On the other hand,
it you see an adress from the global view which means that you always
must use full domain adress, sow@se.luth.cad is more right as this is the
way (from left to right) from the global view to the local place cad.

    Dan
--
Dan Oscarsson                              Department of Computer Science
                                           Lund Institute of Technology
e-mail:  Dan@dna.lth.se                    Box 118
                                           S-221 00 Lund, Sweden

sterba@margaux.inria.fr (Milan Sterba) (07/31/90)

Czechoslovakia has joined the world network community early in 1990.
There are by now about 10 uucp sites, located mostly on universities
in both Bohemia and Slovakia. Czechoslovakia is member of EUnet and
of EARN and is sure to seek for better european and world connectivity
soon.

The top level domain .CS has not been registered at the NIC yet, but
that will be done in a *VERY* near future. The addresses with .CS are
already used internally in Czechoslovakia.

The Czechoslovac uucp bacbone is situated in Bratislava (Pressburg)
and is controlled by Peter Pronay and Gejza Buechler (peter@iaccs.uucp
and gejza@iaccs.uucp)

I am posting it here to stress that .CS is really becomming a great
problem which calls for a fast solution.

                                        Milan Sterba

sterba@inria.fr                         sterba@vse.uucp

tel : (331) 39 63 55 75                 (422) 21 25 703

INRIA Rocquencourt                      Prague School of Economics
Domaine de Voluceau                     nam. A. Zapotockeho 4
B.P. 105                                13

iacovou@cs.umn.edu (Danny Iacovou) (08/01/90)

i am having a hard time trying to see what the problem is with the .CS domain?  as i see
it the united stated is *flooded* with 'cs machines', we were just told that Czechoslavakia
only has 10 UUCP sites.  isn't is easier for Csechoslavakia to be issued something like
.CZ, .CV, or something?  i am very unclear on this point.
--

neophytos iacovou
university of minnesota                      email:  iacovou@cs.umn.edu

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul31.085417.5582@lth.se> Dan@dna.lth.se (Dan Oscarsson) writes:
>On the other hand,
>it you see an adress from the global view which means that you always
>must use full domain adress, sow@se.luth.cad is more right as this is the
>way (from left to right) from the global view to the local place cad.

Then shouldn't it be se.luth.cad!sow?
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) (08/02/90)

If CS is the domain for Czeckoslovakia, what happens if the Czecks and
Slovaks decide to split up?  This domain name was picked quite naively.

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (08/03/90)

Right.  Since the country codes in DNS are defined to be those from the
list of two-letter codes in ISO-3166, this proves what we've always thought:
the ISO is "quite naive".

--jon.

	From namedroppers-RELAY@NIC.DDN.MIL Thu Aug  2 04:14:38 1990
	Date: 2 Aug 90 05:10:51 GMT
	From: portal!cup.portal.com!thinman@apple.com (Lance C Norskog)
	Subject: Re: CS top-level domain and its impact on the UK?
	Sender: namedroppers-relay@nic.ddn.mil
	To: namedroppers@nic.ddn.mil

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (08/03/90)

In article <1532@seti.inria.fr> sterba@margaux.inria.fr (Milan Sterba) writes:

   I am posting it here to stress that .CS is really becomming a great
   problem which calls for a fast solution.

.CS is _not_ becoming a great problem.  Not even a problem.  The use
of localized domain names instead of FQDN's is a great problem.  The
UK reversed names (local to the joint academic networks?) is a very
great problem.

.CS is welcome at this end, and I would like the JANET reversal to
become history as soon as possible.
--

towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM (Mark Towfigh) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug1.005118.6153@cs.umn.edu> iacovou@cs.umn.edu (Danny
Iacovou) writes:

   i am having a hard time trying to see what the problem is with the .CS
   domain?  as i see it the united stated is *flooded* with 'cs
   machines', we were just told that Czechoslavakia only has 10 UUCP
   sites.  isn't is easier for Csechoslavakia to be issued something like
   .CZ, .CV, or something?  i am very unclear on this point.

There is NO PROBLEM between the US machines with CS in their domain
name and Czechoslovakia's new top-level name.  The problem is with
incorrectly-implemented gatewaying between the JANET network and the
Internet (fully described by Eric Naggum in another posting).
--
Mark Towfigh, Racal InterLan, Inc.                 towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM
W: (508) 263-9929 H: (617) 488-2818                       uunet!interlan!towfiq

  "The Earth is but One Country, and Mankind its Citizens" -- Baha'u'llah

thorinn@DIKU.DK (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) (08/06/90)

   From: pcg@odin.UUCP  (Piercarlo Grandi)

You oughtn't put non-qualified local host names in the Path: line of
articles; the mailing list gateways use them for From: lines. Now,
odin is not a registered UUCP host, but thor (which fouled me up when
I last replied to you) is registered as the name of a host in Milford,
Ohio, U.S.A.. Also, if a site has a local host with the same name,
some IDA sendmail configurations will append the local domain when
receiving such mail.
[ This has been a brief excursion into matters of UUCP naming. ]

   When I get a reply from the Internet, it might/should be addressed as
   (assuming that the Internet side of the gateway uses % as a synonym for
   @ as well):

	   pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-rely.Janet.net
	   pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-rely.NRS.org
	   pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-rely.ac.gb

That would be the most correct way of handling things. A pity that
nsfnet-relay does not choose to be known under any such name in the
DNS: neither janet.edu, nrs.org or gb exist. I assume that you were
joking?

   (which one do you think would be most appropriate, incidentally?) but
   not as

	   pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk

   which is not a legal Internet address (ironically it may be currently
   valid though, because of the double registration of Janet names in the
   NRS and the DNS, if I remember correctly).

Since the only way to get from Internet to Janet seems to be through
nsfnet-relay, and its only DNS name seems to be nsfnet-relay.ac.uk,
which is not a legal Internet host name either, we might as well use
the %-free form until such time as the Janet might decide to have
their gateways follow Internet rules on the Internet side.

--
Lars Mathiesen, DIKU, U of Copenhagen, Denmark      [uunet!]mcsun!diku!thorinn
Institute of Datalogy -- we're scientists, not engineers.      thorinn@diku.dk

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (08/06/90)

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you take a JANET mailbox address like

	john-thomas@uk.ac.manchester.cs

and tack a .GB on the end of it, thus

	john-thomas@uk.ac.manchester.cs.gb

and you have a pair of nameservers for '.gb' that understand that
subdomains of '.gb' are JANET-compliant hostnames that have to be
treated according to coloured-book rules, then you have something that
the JANET/internet gateways can handle unambiguously, and that is
completely acceptable to the internet DNS - and won't be confused with
something that originates anywhere else, or that belongs elsewhere in
Europe.

The simple trick here is that the GB nameserver can just strip off the
 .GB and ask the JANET nameserver, which is presumably separate anyway.

Simple, straightforward, and elegant in its simplicity.  Therefore, it
will never happen.
	- Brian

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (08/06/90)

      From: pcg@odin.UUCP  (Piercarlo Grandi)

   You oughtn't put non-qualified local host names in the Path: line
   of articles; the mailing list gateways use them for From: lines.

You're right, he oughtn't, but not for that reason.  RFC1036
disparages the use of "Path:" contents for mailer replies, which is
what "From:" is for.  Any news-to-mail gateway that constructs a mail
"From:"  line from information contained in a a news "Path:" line is a
bug - it should use the provided "From:" line.  Similarly, any news
user agent that constructs a mail reply's "To:" line based on a news
"Path:" line is broken.  Essentially, "Path:" contains no information
of use to a mailer, and mailers are best advised to ignore it.

For other less-rabid opinions, there's quite a hot discussion on just
this point, currently raging along in news.software.b or news.admin or
some more appropriate place.

The reason he shouldn't put non-qualified, non-pathalias-registered
host names in Path: is because the news flooding algorithm will cause
neighbors to fail to pass the article to the machine that's already
registered in the UUCP/Pathalias maps as using that name on its Path:
lines.

   [ This has been a brief excursion into matters of UUCP naming. ]

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled domain discussion...

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (08/07/90)

In article <9008052136.AA05067@skinfaxe.diku.dk> thorinn@DIKU.DK (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) writes:

> Since the only way to get from Internet to Janet seems to be through
> nsfnet-relay, and its only DNS name seems to be nsfnet-relay.ac.uk,
> which is not a legal Internet host name either, we might as well use
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> the %-free form until such time as the Janet might decide to have
> their gateways follow Internet rules on the Internet side.

I have complained loudly about things in the UK, but I don't think we
should bash them for things which are not errors.  As far as I can
tell, "nsfnet-relay.ac.uk" is a perfectly valid and legal Internet
host name.

Can you explain what makes you think it is _not_ legal?
--
[Erik Naggum]

dfk@eu.net (Daniel Karrenberg) (08/07/90)

thorinn@DIKU.DK (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) writes:

>Since the only way to get from Internet to Janet seems to be through
           ^^^^
>nsfnet-relay, and its only DNS name seems to be nsfnet-relay.ac.uk,
>which is not a legal Internet host name either, we might as well use
>the %-free form until such time as the Janet might decide to have
>their gateways follow Internet rules on the Internet side.
       ^^^^^^^^

You contradict yourself.

Assuming that there is only one route is almost always wrong and
*always* shortsighted. In this case it is both.

Your's respectfully

Daniel
--
Daniel Karrenberg                    Future Net:  <dfk@cwi.nl>
CWI, Amsterdam                        Oldie Net:  mcsun!dfk

towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM (Mark Towfigh) (08/07/90)

In article <ENAG.90Aug6201933@svarte.ifi.uio.no> enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik
Naggum) writes:

   I have complained loudly about things in the UK, but I don't think we
   should bash them for things which are not errors.  As far as I can
   tell, "nsfnet-relay.ac.uk" is a perfectly valid and legal Internet
   host name.

   Can you explain what makes you think it is _not_ legal?

"UK" is not a valid top-level domain -- the correct one is "GB".
--
Mark Towfigh, Racal InterLan, Inc.                 towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM
W: (508) 263-9929 H: (617) 488-2818                       uunet!interlan!towfiq

  "The Earth is but One Country, and Mankind its Citizens" -- Baha'u'llah

P.Kirstein@CS.UCL.AC.UK (08/08/90)

There is a long-standing debate between Jon Postel and the
British about the use of GB versus UK as a top-level Domain Name.  The
British chose UK before the name GB had been standardised.  For
the past year, the British have tried to get both GB and UK
registered concurrently.  For various technical-political
reasons, there has been a lenthy debate on the conditions under
which both can be registered - which has so far not led to
agreement.

This is not the place to go into the disagreements between the
British and the Internet authorities.  Nevertheless, this is
one of the areas in which the British are trying to conform -
and it is not just bloody-mindedness or ignorance that has .GB
not a top-level domain.

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (08/08/90)

Hi.  I agree with Peter Kirstein that there is a difficult debate about how
to transition the British from UK to GB.

I disagree that at the time the DNS was started that "The British chose
UK before the name GB had been standardised.".  This is total bunk.

There was some debate at the time that the proper choice was GB not UK,
and the ISO-3166 standard was in place at the time.  At that time, the
Internet authorities (being such nice folks) gave in and let the Brits
have it their way.

The current mess may be a lesson about following the rules vs doing what
is convenient.

--jon.

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (08/08/90)

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:
>Hi.  I agree with Peter Kirstein that there is a difficult debate about how
>to transition the British from UK to GB.

>There was some debate at the time that the proper choice was GB not UK,
>and the ISO-3166 standard was in place at the time.  At that time, the
>Internet authorities (being such nice folks) gave in and let the Brits
>have it their way.

>The current mess may be a lesson about following the rules vs doing what
>is convenient.

It's all very well for people in the US to talk about this issue
but it's much more complex than it appears.     I know that the ISO
standard says GB but the accepted political meaning of GB is England
Wales and Scotland.  UK on the other hand includes Northern Ireland.
This has the makings of a fine political row, I can just see the
headline:

	"Americans exclude Northern Ireland from computer network"

You get the picture ?

Anyway what is all this standards BS from a country the still uses
gallons and can't even get the size of them right :-) :-) :-) :-)

--
John Pettitt, Specialix International,
Email: jpp@specialix.com Tel +44 (0) 9323 54254 Fax +44 (0) 9323 52781
Disclaimer: Me, say that ?  Never, it's a forged posting !

P.Kirstein@CS.UCL.AC.UK (08/09/90)

I was trying to give a diplomatic answer, with some
simplifications.  As I understand it, and I do not guarantee
the facts since the people who know them here are on vacation,
the facts are similar to those I gave - but Jon is also right.
The ISO 3166 standard was in place, but X.400 was not, when the
name of UK was chosen.  It was not clear to the Joint Network
Team (JNT)  what name would be chosen for their mail, since they cover
Northern Ireland - for which the official name is the United
Kingdom - while Great Britain (GB) excludes Northern Ireland.
For this reason they chose UK.  Some time later (or so I have
been told!), X.400 chose its addressing conventions, and the
official British representatives (and this was at a political level much
above the JNT) agreed that ISO 3166 applied to X.400 mail.   By
then there  was substantial usage of "UK" in the Internet, and
the changing from UK to GB might also be considered to have
political connotations.   It is the clearing up of this
mess which is the subject  of the current discussions.

My intervention was merely to make others aware that this was
not a case of the British "not caring as usual";  both Jon and
we are well aware of the problem, and the difficulties it is
causing all of us.  It is just the mechanisms and timing of
changes which are not agreed yet.

P.Kirstein@CS.UCL.AC.UK (08/09/90)

The statement you make that "UK" is not a VALID Internet
top-level domain is not true.

It is true that "GB" is the official country code for British  X.400
mail.  It is also true that ".GB" would be a DESIRABLE high
top level domain name for the United Kingdom to use for
Internet mail.  However  most organisations in the US do
not use ".US" as part of their address, and at present all JANET
and MOD sites use ".UK".  The top level domain names they use
are VALID;  they just do not follow a desirable convention.
They are valid names as long as they have been properly
registered with the NIC according to agreed Internet
procedures.

As I have described before, it is the conditions under which
".GB" can be registered - relative to the existing ".UK" - which
is the subject of discussions between UK authorities and the
NIC/Postel.

huitema@jerry.inria.fr (Christian Huitema) (08/09/90)

I was amazed by the whole debate. It started from one simple
constatation, i.e. that the introduction of a ".cs" country code would
break the heuristics which currently allow a Janet user to send a mail
to either "user@edu.foo.bar.cs" or "user@cs.bar.foo.edu". Obviously, one
does not need much thinking to discover that one only needs to list all
the ".cs" subdomain in the gateway to fix the heuristics; has there are
probably a dozen such domains, this is no big deal.
And, no, this is not a prerequisite to connecting Czechoslovakia.

But then, one see a number of people discovering that the Brits live in
an island, that they drive on the wrong side of the road, that their
screw are screwed in the wrong way, that they have all sorts of exotic
metrics (like, how many grains do you count in a stone?), and that their
universities are registered under ".ac.uk" rather than ".gb" (why not
".en" + ".we" + ".sc" + ".ni", by the way?). The funny thing is that
they believe that there is nothing wrong with that, that driving on the
left side is not any more dangerous than driving on the right side of
the road; they probably start eating their eggs the wrong way too... At
a time when all cities of all industrial countries look more and more
alike, we should be glad of their efforts to maintain some diversity!

Still, one may observe that allowing both "user@edu.foo.bar.cs" and
"user@cs.bar.foo.edu" is akin to driving both on the left side and on
the right side simultaneously. No doubt that the heuristic will be
stressed again and again...

Christian Huitema