[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Clarification Re: .de

ap@unido.UUCP (Axel Pawlik) (08/15/90)

This is a joint statement from the administrators of the domain .de and
the staff of the German EUnet-Backbone at the University of Dortmund.
  It is meant to clarify the situation concerning the Topleveldomain .de
which has been widely discussed in this newsgroup under different topics.

 1	The administrators of the "de" TLD are not to be confused
       	with the EUnet backbone "unido":
       	  The domain "de" is administered under authority of all existing
       	networks in Germany: CSnet, DFN (X.400), EARN, EUnet (in alpha-
       	betical order). The persons in charge are fulltime staff of the
       	University of Dortmund.
       	  The EUnet service is provided by University of Dortmund in
       	cooperation with the German Unix systems User Group (GUUG).
       	EUnet staff mainly consists of a group of dedicated students
       	on part time contracts with the university.

 2	There are a few conditions for registration under .de which
       	have been agreed upon by ALL networks operating in Germany.
       	  This refers to the name of the subdomain and the restriction
       	that subdomains of "de" are given to institutions (as opposed to
       	individuals) only.

 3	A few people and/or organisations do not adhere to these rules,
       	and chose to register under other domains than "de".

 4	Due to the involvements of more than one networking organisation
       	and the associated administrative overhead initially some problems
       	had to be cleared up. This has been done now.

henkp@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Henk P. Penning) (08/17/90)

In article <2152@unido.UUCP> ap@unido.UUCP (Axel Pawlik) writes:

> 4 Due to the involvements of more than one networking organisation
>   and the associated administrative overhead initially some problems
>   had to be cleared up. This has been done now.

  Great. Could somebody explain why mail to (fi) uni-mainz.de
  gets MX'ed to cunyvm.cuny.edu (that's in New York I think).

			===  HenkP  ===
--
Henk P. Penning, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University.
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

a0020@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Axel Clauberg) (08/18/90)

In article <3686@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> henkp@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Henk P. Penning) writes:

>     Great. Could somebody explain why mail to (fi) uni-mainz.de
>     gets MX'ed to cunyvm.cuny.edu (that's in New York I think).

I think mail to Mainz is delivered via Bitnet, not SMTP(IP). As MXes are
global you have to make some compromises...
A european gateway might be better for europeans, but not for the "rest
of the world".
Axel

--
Axel Clauberg,    Regional Computing Center, University of Cologne
                  Robert-Koch Str. 10

                  Phone:    +49 (221) 478-5589
                  Internet: cl@rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE
                  Bitnet:   a0020@DK0RRZK1

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (08/18/90)

In article <A0020.90Aug17210511@aix370.rrz.uni-koeln.de>
   a0020@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Axel Clauberg) writes:
>I think mail to Mainz is delivered via Bitnet, not SMTP(IP). As MXes are
>global you have to make some compromises...
>A european gateway might be better for europeans, but not for the "rest
>of the world".

I do not have the inclination to actually *try* this, but since BITNET
is such a common interconnect problem, would it not be best to
(1) Define INTERBIT.BIT.NET as CNAME CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
    "officially"/"globally"
(2) Define the BITNET hosts as MX    INTERBIT.BIT.NET
(3) Allow each regional or local nameserver to define in its cache
    preload INTERBIT.BIT.NET CNAME (some nearby BIT/Inter gateway)

Would this not solve the problem ?
--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (08/20/90)

henkp@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Henk P. Penning) writes:

>In article <2152@unido.UUCP> ap@unido.UUCP (Axel Pawlik) writes:

>> 4 Due to the involvements of more than one networking organisation
>>   and the associated administrative overhead initially some problems
>>   had to be cleared up. This has been done now.

>  Great. Could somebody explain why mail to (fi) uni-mainz.de
>  gets MX'ed to cunyvm.cuny.edu (that's in New York I think).

Yes, that's the standard MX for all site's inside de (wildcard MX), which have
no Internet connection. I think there is also an MX to mcsun.eu.net,
and unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de, but cunyvm.cuny.edu has the highest
preference as I know. cunyvm.cuny.edu knows how to deliver (it knows, that *.de
has to be delivered to DEARN.BITNET).

That's not the best solution for european sites, I think it should be
possible to add a MX for *.de to unido with higher preference.
That will allow an delivery more closer to the destination, and will
fallback to cunyvm, if the transatlantic link to unido will fail.

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger

Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende, D-8046 Garching, West Germany
BITNET:  K2@DGABLG5P            Internet: k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de

henkp@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Henk P. Penning) (08/20/90)

In article <4045@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) writes:

>>  I write:
>>  Great. Could somebody explain why mail to (fi) uni-mainz.de
>>  gets MX'ed to cunyvm.cuny.edu (that's in New York I think).

>Yes, that's the standard MX for all site's inside de (wildcard MX), which have
>no Internet connection. I think there is also an MX to mcsun.eu.net,
>and unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de, but cunyvm.cuny.edu has the highest
>preference as I know.

 I don't see unido or mcsun listed as an MX.

>cunyvm.cuny.edu knows how to deliver (it knows, that *.de
>has to be delivered to DEARN.BITNET).

>That's not the best solution for european sites, I think it should be
>possible to add a MX for *.de to unido with higher preference.

 I think so too. Question: why isn't it done yet.

>That will allow an delivery more closer to the destination, and will
>fallback to cunyvm, if the transatlantic link to unido will fail.

 That is, if you look at it from an North-American perspective.

>Klaus Steinberger

				===  HenkP  ===
--

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (08/22/90)

henkp@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Henk P. Penning) writes:

>In article <4045@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) writes:

>>>  I write:
>>>  Great. Could somebody explain why mail to (fi) uni-mainz.de
>>>  gets MX'ed to cunyvm.cuny.edu (that's in New York I think).

>>Yes, that's the standard MX for all site's inside de (wildcard MX), which have
>>no Internet connection. I think there is also an MX to mcsun.eu.net,
>>and unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de, but cunyvm.cuny.edu has the highest
>>preference as I know.

> I don't see unido or mcsun listed as an MX.
At the moment, I wrote the followup, my Internet link was broken,
and I can't look into the DNS. But for some Domains this was the case.
(tu-muenchen.de, until we got a our Internet Connect Status)

Sincerely,
Klaus