[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] DNS in Europe : issue 2

huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) (09/09/90)

In article <9009081952.AA25986@inria.inria.fr> dupont@INRIA.INRIA.FR (Francis Dupont) writes:

> How do you select sites for secondary name-servers ?
>The issue is not simple : load sharing is more effective if secondaries
>are far from the primary, but refreshs can become expensive ...
>I'd like to know if there are some works or heuristics about this matter.
>
>Francis.Dupont@inria.fr

As I see it, there are really two kinds of secondary nameservers.

The near ones and the far ones.  The near ones you strategically
place to insulate yourself from network/host failures on your
own network.  For example we try to place a nameserver at every
subnet gateway, and we run them as secondaries so they never
forget the names of the hosts on the local subnet.  It would be
better if we could tell them to only down load the portion of the
zone dealing with that subnet, but this is not really possable
without creating secondary domains.

The far ones should (in my opinion) be placed very far away.  I
don't think you should worry about refreshes too much.  Bind
versions 4.8.2(?) and later will not transfer the zone unless the
serial number in the SOA record changes.  We have a very dynamic
zone, and so to keep down the network trafic we only allow zone
changes every other day of the week.  Our refresh rate is 12h.

brad

dfk@eu.net (Daniel Karrenberg) (09/10/90)

dupont@INRIA.INRIA.FR (Francis Dupont) writes:
> How do you select sites for secondary name-servers ?

There are basically three reasons for having secondaries:

	1) backup in case the primary machine or local network
	   segment is down

	2) backup in case global network connectivity to the primary
	   is lost

	3) offloading (network connections to) the primary

So we place at least one secondary quite near to the primary but
preferably on another local network segment and power circuit
to satisfy 1 above.

Then we put some secondaries in different places of the world like US
and Australia to satisfy point 2 above.  In case of a toplevel domain we
also put some secondaries in different parts of Europe because
intra-European connectivity is not what it should be quite yet and links
are quite loaded so that point 3 above becomes more of a concern.

In case of lower levels of the domain tree we are reluctant to place
secondaries at places administratively remote from us.  This because the
added redundancy does not outweigh the operational problems we can get
from an inconsistent DNS in case our secondary site is not well
maintained.  We are especially weary of arrangements where there is just
one (sometimes extremely) helpful person at the secondary site.  What if
that person gets run down by a truck or changes jobs?  The ideal
situation is one where we have reciprocal agreements with the
administrators of the secondaries which allow us to log into their
systems and manipulate the nameservers if need be.

For the refreshes we are not so much concerned about the network load
as about the relieability. The most frustrating thing is not being
able to refresh an obsolete zone of which you know it's out there
and for example causing valid mail addresses to bounce. This is also
one of the cases where a close relationship with the maintainers
of the secondary servers is a must.

The most important lesson we have learned so far is that the rule is
not what you think it is at first: "Get as many secondaries as you can
for maximum redundancy." This can get too complex to manage very quickly.

A rule we did learn: "Be extremely aware of unnecessary glue RRs!"
Obsolete ones can haunt you!

Cheers

--
Daniel Karrenberg                    Future Net:  <dfk@cwi.nl>
CWI, Amsterdam                        Oldie Net:  mcsun!dfk