[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Short list of available anime

jim@piggy.ucsb.edu (Oreo Cat) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.194420.19243@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Wayne Hudson) writes:
>I tried 'r' (reply by Email) so I wouldn't waste bandwidth, but my message
>came back as undeliverable.  Does the author have another path I can try
>(besides paf@aleph,UUCP)?

Although the software would like it to be, .UUCP is not a valid domain.  It
works on some machines, but most will barf on it.  The best way to send
mail to these addresses is to send it through a host with the current mail
maps installed.  One of these is uunet, which is also the site many of these
UUCP machines are connected to.  So the address paf@aleph.UUCP could be
rewritten as paf%aleph@uunet.uu.net and chances are it'll get through.

I've reposted this to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains because it would be
really nice if someone would create a uucp domain and have the MX point
to some convenient site such as uunet.  It would make things a LOT
easier.  As it is, I see questions like the above pop up in the newsgroups
all the time.  Before I knew to route this, whenever I saw a uucp address
I'd just give up and not reply.

                            Jim Lick
Work: University of California	| Home: 6657 El Colegio #24
      Santa Barbara		|       Isla Vista, CA 93117-4280
      Dept. of Mechanical Engr. |	(805) 968-0189 voice
      2311 Engr II Building     |	(805) 968-1239 data 1
      (805) 893-4113            |	(805) 968-2734 data 2
      jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	bahamut!jim@ivucsb.sba.ca.us