[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Bogus address for TERP.UMD.EDU root nameserver floating about

louie@SAYSHELL.UMD.EDU ("Louis A. Mamakos") (11/07/90)

I've noticed a bunch of errors being reported by our Proteon router
which connected UMDNET to SURANET, and thus the rest of the Internet.
There is a packet flux for packets being transmitted to 128.8.26.90.

Hmm.. I think, this is pretty strange.  TERP.UMD.EDU, which is one of
the root name servers, has an address which is fairly similar:
128.8.10.90.  I guess that the bogus address is the "MILNET" version
of TERP's "ARPANET" flavored address..  Really weird.

Bouncing name server queries to the hosts in question indicate that
they have an incorrect idea of what TERP.UMD.EDU's IP address is.
Will you all please take a look at your root name server cache
infomormation, and make sure that you have correct information?  I
suspect that these bogus packets and the associated ICMP destination
unreachable messages are using a non-trivial amount of bandwidth
between the US and Europe.

Let's try to track this down before it spreads very far.  I'm seeing a few
packets per second being transmitted to the bogus address.

louie

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (11/07/90)

In article <9011061638.AA19042@sayshell.umd.edu> louie@SAYSHELL.UMD.EDU ("Louis A. Mamakos") writes:

>I've noticed a bunch of errors being reported by our Proteon router
>which connected UMDNET to SURANET, and thus the rest of the Internet.
>There is a packet flux for packets being transmitted to 128.8.26.90.
>
>Hmm.. I think, this is pretty strange.  TERP.UMD.EDU, which is one of
>the root name servers, has an address which is fairly similar:
>128.8.10.90.  I guess that the bogus address is the "MILNET" version
>of TERP's "ARPANET" flavored address..  Really weird.
>
>Bouncing name server queries to the hosts in question indicate that
>they have an incorrect idea of what TERP.UMD.EDU's IP address is.

We haven't seen this show up here yet, but we are suffering from some
other cache corruption.  One of IRS.GOV's purported name servers told
our name server that LBL.GOV is a root server, and it also looks like
we picked up the address 128.20.1.2 for AOS.BRL.MIL from the same source.
Somewhere along the way we also picked up the address 192.52.195.0
for NS.NASA.GOV.

Unfortunately our automatic bogon detector only tosses out root servers
named .ARPA, and logs the rest.  It doesn't report new (and bogus)
addresses for the root servers.

If BIND only did a better job of conforming to section 7.4 in RFC-1035...
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028