[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] follow-up to clouso.crim.ca. as bogus root name server.

kinley@BOND.CRIM.CA (J. Darren Kinley) (11/15/90)

On Oct 25, J. Darren Kinley writes:

> > One of our nameservers (RA.DEPT.CS.YALE.EDU) has picked up a Canadian root
> > server (CLOUSO.CRIM.CA - is it valid?):
>
> ACK!!!!
> No, this is *definitely* not valid! ...
>
> I will investigate and see if I can figure this out. Any hints,
> suggestions, or information that could prove usefull will be
> *greatly* appreciated. I will have follow this thread backwards
> and catch up on what I have missed.
> -- End of excerpt from J. Darren Kinley.

Hello again,

First of all thanks to the people who took the time to reply to my
request for hints. Most of the replies simply stated that they had
seen the bogus records and/or wished me looks of luck in discovering
the source of the bogons. These were interesting and appreciated,
but did not quite give the information I was hoping for. I will
wrap up this follow-up with a few questions that I don't have
acceptable answers to.

Problem: Find and eliminate the source of the clouso.crim.ca. bogus
         root name server records. This turns out to be about as
         difficult as finding the proverbial needle in the hay stack.

Assumptions: I knew the person that was giving out the bad information.
             This assumption restricted my search all name servers on
             the RISQnet and a few others in the west of Canada.

How I proceeded:

1. Made a list of all name server that I knew and proceeded to ask
   each who the root name servers were. Bingo! I lucked out. The TTLs,
   however, were only a few seconds and the bad RRs disappeared
   immediately. (Hmm, could they be the source of my problems?)

2. Ran a script that monitored those servers on a 2 minute interval
   over 3 days. I had hoped that this might help to point me in the
   right direction. The assumption being; from a name server that is
   infected more often than mine, I can find the source of the
   problem more quickly. Not even a single hit!

3. Reconsidered assumptions and plan of attack.
    -  I still put I high probability that the person responsible was
       someone that I knew, and so decided to stick with my primary
       assumption.
    -  I considered running my NS in debug mode and reading the
       megabytes of trace, but the bad information had never shown up
       here.  Besides, I didn't really want to go through a trace.
    -  I considered that the problem would go away *if* the guilty
       person saw this thread, but decided that they probably didn't
       read this list and that I could not ignore the problem.

4. Some name servers were more suspect than others and so I
   concentrated my efforts on them. I connected to each and asked
   simple questions like; ". ns", "ca. ns", "edu. ns.". Finally,
   I found a machine that thought that we were a name server for
   just about everything except ".". When asked, however, "foo. ns"
   it replied that "clouso.crim.ca." was a root name server. Aha!

   I then visited the domain admin, explained how the name server
   should work and how to correctly configure it, played with his
   name server and found out that it was rather broken (or at least
   I was unable to understand why it worked that way that it did).
   Anyhow, I was able to get the thing to work. Hopefully, this was
   the only source of the problem!

   Has anyone any experience getting a name server to run on an
   IBM running VM? If so I would like to hear from you.

5. Am I finished?

   I received a mail from someone on another Canadian regional
   network. Apparently, before having a connected status on the
   core, some admins on this particular network found that naming
   clouso.crim.ca. as a "." name server solved their immediate
   problems.

   Perhaps some name servers are still configured in this way.
   As it turns out, my primary assumption must now be discarded
   (sigh) and I have possibly/probably not seen the end of the
   problems.

Questions:

Does anyone still have the bogus root name server records that
name clouso.crim.ca.?

HOW DOES THIS BAD INFORMATION GET PROPOGATED? If organization X
has a name server which serves *only* the domain associated with
X, no one outside of X should be asking the X name server anything
other than the domain associated with X. So the bad information
cannot possible be propogated outside of the X organization! More
generally, I cannot see any scenario where bad root name server
information can possibly be propogated by anyone other than root.
The exception of course, is that humans force this bad information
to be propogated while playing with nslookup or dig. If anyone
can enlighten me it would be *greatly* appreciated.

Concerning debugging, I have often heard (read) people mention
reading traces. Reading a trace is the last thing that I want to do!
Perhaps it is time to discuss alternative methods or procodures
we (domain admins) can try in order to help isolate problems.
I have listed the steps in my approach to the problem. Can someone
suggest a better approach?

--
Darren Kinley             | Centre de recherche informatique de Montreal (CRIM)
Analyste/Prog. en Telecom | 3744 rue Jean-Brillant, bureau 500

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (11/15/90)

In article <9011142027.AA00555@bond.crim.ca> kinley@BOND.CRIM.CA (J. Darren Kinley) writes:
>HOW DOES THIS BAD INFORMATION GET PROPOGATED? If organization X
>has a name server which serves *only* the domain associated with
>X, no one outside of X should be asking the X name server anything
>other than the domain associated with X. So the bad information
>cannot possible be propogated outside of the X organization! More
>generally, I cannot see any scenario where bad root name server
>information can possibly be propogated by anyone other than root.
>The exception of course, is that humans force this bad information
>to be propogated while playing with nslookup or dig. If anyone
>can enlighten me it would be *greatly* appreciated.

Generally what happens is that the name server for X is somehow
broken and is not acting as a name server for X (usually it is
supposed to be a secondary server and is listed as a server for X
with the root servers, but it is not configured to be a server for X).
Its response to queries about X basically tells the client that it
doesn't know anything about X and that the client should go ask the
root servers.  Just to be helpful, it sends along the (possibly bogus)
list of the root server names and addresses that it has in its cache.
If the client happens to be BIND, it happily caches this root server
information.  If the client is broken in a similar way or is acting
as a forwarder for another server that is broken in a similar way,
this bogus information can continue to propagate.  There are a lot
of servers in this category in the in-addr.arpa domain.

I have also observed some versions of Sun's BIND responding with
the root server list in the authority/additional sections even when
they have an authoritative answer to the query.

>Concerning debugging, I have often heard (read) people mention
>reading traces. Reading a trace is the last thing that I want to do!
>Perhaps it is time to discuss alternative methods or procodures
>we (domain admins) can try in order to help isolate problems.
>I have listed the steps in my approach to the problem. Can someone
>suggest a better approach?

If you are running BIND, there are patches floating about that
will log all delegations to the root servers and the associated
questions and IP address of the culprit.  I try to scan the logs
periodically and harass the responsible parties.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

dfk@NIC.EU.net (Daniel Karrenberg) (11/16/90)

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) writes:
>If you are running BIND, there are patches floating about that
>will log all delegations to the root servers and the associated
>questions and IP address of the culprit.  I try to scan the logs
>periodically and harass the responsible parties.

How do i make those pathces "float" my way?

--
Daniel Karrenberg                    Future Net:  <dfk@cwi.nl>
CWI, Amsterdam                        Oldie Net:  mcsun!dfk

he@spurv.runit.sintef.no (Havard Eidnes) (11/17/90)

In article <9011142027.AA00555@bond.crim.ca>, kinley@BOND.CRIM.CA (J. Darren Kinley) writes:

|> 5. Am I finished?
|>
|>    I received a mail from someone on another Canadian regional
|>    network. Apparently, before having a connected status on the
|>    core, some admins on this particular network found that naming
|>    clouso.crim.ca. as a "." name server solved their immediate
|>    problems.
|>
|>    Perhaps some name servers are still configured in this way.
|>    As it turns out, my primary assumption must now be discarded
|>    (sigh) and I have possibly/probably not seen the end of the
|>    problems.

I think there is a less offensive workaround in such a situation,
namely to set up their name server as an unregistered secondary
name server for e.g. the "ca" top-level domain. The assumption is
that they do not have IP connectivity to anywhere outside Canada,
so the fact that looking up names on the "outside" is impossible
is probably less of an issue.

Sure, BIND will yell after a while that it's unable to contact the
root name servers. I don't know (or remember) whether it will still
work, though -- it's too long since I was in this situation myself,
and BIND has changed quite a bit since then. If BIND stops working
in the absence of connectivity to a root name server, IMHO I'd say
BIND deserves fixing.

- Havard