[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] No matching of * MX records?

he@spurv.runit.sintef.no (Havard Eidnes) (11/17/90)

In one of my primary zone files, I have:

$ORIGIN imf.unit.no.
; ...
; (SOA and NS records omitted)
; MX information:
;
@               IN      MX      10      snork.imf.unit.no.
*               IN      MX      10      snork.imf.unit.no.
; ...
hufsa           IN      A       129.241.15.4
                IN      HINFO   APOLLO-DSP10010 UNIX

Previously, when I looked up MX information for hufsa.imf.unit.no.,
I would receive the information that snork.imf.unit.no. was a mail
exchanger for hufsa.imf.unit.no. However, recently this seems to
have stopped working, and I have to explicitly ask for the mail exchanger
of '*.imf.unit.no' instead. (All name lookups tried with nslookup -- see
attached trace of nslookup session.) It may (or may not) be related that
I recently installed BIND 4.8.3 on the primary name server for imf.unit.no.

Is this correct behaviour?

If this is incorrect behaviour, I would appreciate any hints on what
might be wrong with my setup.

- Havard

----------------------- nslookup trace

% nslookup
Default Server:  runix.runit.sintef.no
Address:  129.241.1.5

> set q=mx
> set debug
> set d2
> hufsa.imf.unit.no.
Server:  runix.runit.sintef.no
Address:  129.241.1.5

res_mkquery(0, hufsa.imf.unit.no, 1, 15)
------------
SendRequest(), len 35
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  query, want recursion
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  auth. records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        hufsa.imf.unit.no, type = MX, class = IN

------------
------------
Got answer (35 bytes):
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  auth. records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        hufsa.imf.unit.no, type = MX, class = IN

------------
*** No mail exchanger information is available for hufsa.imf.unit.no.

kre@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Elz) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov16.232833.7684@ugle.unit.no>,
he@spurv.runit.sintef.no (Havard Eidnes) writes:
> *               IN      MX      10      snork.imf.unit.no.
> hufsa           IN      A       129.241.15.4

> Previously, when I looked up MX information for hufsa.imf.unit.no.,
> I would receive the information that snork.imf.unit.no. was a mail
> exchanger for hufsa.imf.unit.no. However, recently this seems to
> have stopped working, and I have to explicitly ask for the mail exchanger
> of '*.imf.unit.no' instead.

My guess would be that you recently added the A and HINFO lines for
hufsa ... the definition of the wildcard is tht it works ONLY for names
that are NOT otherwise present in the zone, ie: the * cannot match
hufsa because hufsa is there.   You need to add an explicit MX for
hufsa.

Its not just '*.imf...' that will match the wildcard, try looking
up 'dead-frogs.imf...' I think you'll find that one will find it as
well.

Wildcards really have just one important use, that's to handle
domains which are primarily not connected to the internet - that
is, all that exists is a single wildcard MX in the zone (plus NS
and SOA records, and maybe a few special cases).

In any other case, all they really do is cause mail for
spelling-mistake.domain to be forwarded to the MX host,
which is very rarely useful.   Avoid wildcards.

kre