[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] 24 Countries

dwells@fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells) (11/28/90)

			=-=-= Countries =-=-=

My count of IP_connected countries now stands at 24 (up from 22, and
should be 25):

AR[1] AT AU (BE[2]) CA CH CL[3] DE DK FI FR GR IL IN[4] IS IT JP KR MX
NL NO NZ SE UK US

[1] There is a host at the southern end of an IP circuit to Buenos
Aires, Argentina, and it answers.

[2] I have been informed of the existence of a connected 24_country
corporate IP network which includes a host in Belgium, which I pinged
and telnetted. I have decided not to count this or any other
corporate_IP_net hosts in my list, partly because they are now just
too easy to be a challenge, but also because I am a scientist and the
point of my list is to assess the growth of the IP connectivity that
binds the worldwide research community. However, I have been informed
by a knowledgeable person that a certain Belgian university now has
connected status so, although I do not yet know an IP address for that
university, I expect to be able to count BE in the country list "real
soon now".

[3] The host in question is physically in Chile, but its name is in
the EDU domain.

[4] An IP circuit to Bombay, India now exists, so that a well-known
UUCP host there now answers a ping or a telnet to port 25.

			=-=-= Continents =-=-=

My count of IP_connected continents still stands at 5 (out of 7):

Asia, Australia, Europe, North_America, South_America, plus
miscellaneous islands in the Atlantic, Caribbean and Pacific oceans.

Regarding the continent of Africa: I have gotten no indications of any
non-commercial IP connection to anywhere in Africa, although several
people who responded to my first message presume (as I do) that South
Africa [ZA] will connect sometime soon.

Regarding the continent of Antarctica: I have been informed that there
is a SPAN circuit to the South Pole already. And, on page 53 of the
October 1990 issue of NASA's Information Systems Quarterly I read:
"From the NSFNET base at Christchurch [NZ], NSI [NASA Science
Internet] will soon extend [IP] connectivity to the Antarctic region."

I speculate that we will be able to "work all continents" within a year.

--

Donald C. Wells, Assoc. Scientist  |        dwells@nrao.edu
Nat. Radio Astronomy Observatory   |         6654::DWELLS

--

Donald C. Wells, Assoc. Scientist  |        dwells@nrao.edu
Nat. Radio Astronomy Observatory   |         6654::DWELLS
Edgemont Road                      | +1-804-296-0277      38:02.2N
Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA | +1-804-296-0278(Fax) 78:31.1W

gavron@alpha.sunquest.com (Ehud Gavron) (11/28/90)

In article <DWELLS.90Nov27112008@fits.cx.nrao.edu>,
dwells@fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells) writes...
#
#			=-=-= Countries =-=-=
#
#My count of IP_connected countries now stands at 24 (up from 22, and
#should be 25):

	It's 25.
#
#AR[1] AT AU (BE[2]) CA CH CL[3] DE DK FI FR GR IL IN[4] IS IT JP KR MX
#NL NO NZ SE UK US
#
#[2] I have been informed of the existence of a connected 24_country
#corporate IP network which includes a host in Belgium, which I pinged
#and telnetted. I have decided not to count this or any other
#corporate_IP_net hosts in my list, partly because they are now just
#too easy to be a challenge, but also because I am a scientist

	No.  Scientists are supposed to have open minds and
	ability to think.  Not closed-minded bigots who decide
	arbitrarily that only universities count for ip
	connectivity.  This attitude does not belong on
	c.p.tcp-ip.

#Regarding the continent of Africa: I have gotten no indications of any
#non-commercial IP connection to anywhere in Africa,

	Give it up.

[2nd signature deleted]

#Donald C. Wells, Assoc. Scientist  |        dwells@nrao.edu
#Nat. Radio Astronomy Observatory   |         6654::DWELLS
#Edgemont Road                      | +1-804-296-0277      38:02.2N
#Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA | +1-804-296-0278(Fax) 78:31.1W

	Ehud Gavron	(gavron@vesta.sunquest.com)
	"finger me, make my day"

pinkham@ucthpx.UUCP (Chris Pinkham) (11/29/90)

In article <DWELLS.90Nov27112008@fits.cx.nrao.edu> dwells@fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells) writes:

>Regarding the continent of Africa: I have gotten no indications of any
>non-commercial IP connection to anywhere in Africa, although several
>people who responded to my first message presume (as I do) that South
>Africa [ZA] will connect sometime soon.

I don't know of any IP connection to Africa. There certainly isn't
any such connection to Southern Africa. The ZA domain is currently
being served via a dial-up uucp link, thence onto an internal academic
TCP/IP network. Connecting using IP is currently under consideration,
with the major hurdle being the cost of a dedicated link.

Don may well be able to ping us within a year (hope so, anyway!).

--
Chris Pinkham			Internet: pinkham@ucthpx.uct.ac.za
Systems Programmer		UUCP:     ...!m2xenix!quagga!ucthpx!pinkham