[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Domains Registered in November 1990

dell@apple.com (Thomas E. Dell) (12/03/90)

Here is the list of domains created & destroyed in November 1990.
This list is unofficial.

   ...Tom

dell@apple.com / Thomas E Dell

--

Domains registered in November 1990.
An unofficial list.

There are 4 new toplevel domains:

    CN		    People's Republic of China
    EG		    Arab Republic of Egypt
    HU		    Hungarian Academy of Sciences
    ZA		    UNINET Project

There are 41 new COM domains:

    AYUDA.COM	    Ayuda Company
    BSJ.COM	    B.S.J. Technologies, Inc.
    BUSL.COM	    Businessland, Inc.
    CANON.COM	    Canon Information Systems
    CANSTAR.COM	    CANSTAR
    CLAIRTON.COM	    Clairton Computer Associates Incorporated
    CONGRUENT.COM    Congruent Corporation
    CPM.COM	    Customer Potential Management
    DANIELS.COM	    Daniels & Daniels, P.C.
    DELMARVA.COM	    Delmarva Power and Light Company
    DGI.COM	    Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
    EATON.COM	    Eaton, Van de Streek, and Ward
    EBSCO.COM	    Ebsco Industries, Inc.
    EQUATOR.COM	    Equator Technologies, Inc.
    ER.COM	    Essential Research
    FUNHOUSE.COM	    Funhouse Consultants
    GRAMMATECH.COM   GrammaTech, Inc.
    INFINITY.COM	    Infinity, Inc.
    INTERF.COM	    Interferometrics, Inc.
    INTERSTREAM.COM  InterStream, Inc.
    IPDESIGN.COM	    IP Design, Inc.
    ISYS.COM	    Isys Controls Inc.
    JPR.COM	    J.P. Radley
    KONE.COM	    KONE Corporation
    LORAL.COM	    Loral Corporation
    MERCURY.COM	    Mercury Technologies, Inc.
    NBN.COM	    North Bay Network
    NETWISE.COM	    Netwise, Inc.
    OBERON.COM	    Oberon Software Incorporated
    ORACORP.COM	    Odyssey Research Associates
    PAN.COM	    The PAN Network
    POSTMODERN.COM   Postmodern Consulting
    QUESIG.COM	    Quesig Electronics
    RAMBUS.COM	    Rambus Inc.
    RN.COM	    Northern Star
    ROCKWELL.COM	    Rockwell International
    SIGNUM.COM	    Signum Software Pty Ltd
    SIVS.COM	    State IV Software
    SUNWORLD.COM	    Sun Tech Journal
    TFD.COM	    Twenty-First Designs, Inc.
    VENUE.COM	    Venue

3 COM domains were destroyed:

    DECISION.COM	    Decision Studies Group, Inc.
    ORAINC.COM	    Odyssey Research Associates
    SSSSC.COM	    Small Scale Systems of Southern California

There are 7 new EDU domains:

    CES.EDU	    Central State University
    MEMST.EDU	    Memphis State University
    SEMASSU.EDU	    Southeastern Massachusetts University
    SLCC.EDU	    Salt Lake City Community College
    USIU.EDU	    U.S. International University
    UWSA.EDU	    University of Wisconsin- System Administration
    VMI.EDU	    Virginia Military Institute

1 EDU domain was destroyed:

    UTA.EDU	    University of Texas at Arlington

There are 3 new GOV domains:

    ORAU.GOV	    Oak Ridge Associated Universities
    USBM-CCN.GOV	    US Department of the Interior
    VOA.GOV	    Voice of America

1 MIL domain was destroyed:

    NPRDC.MIL	    Navy Personnel Research and Development Center

There are 2 new NET domains:

    MICH.NET	    Merit Computer Network
    SHOW.NET	    UNIFORUM Conference

There are 5 new ORG domains:

    AIS.ORG	    Arbor Information Society
    ETS.ORG	    Educational Testing Service
    HJF.ORG	    Henry M. Jackson Foundation
    MAMTC.ORG	    The Minnesota Advanced Manufacturing Technology Center
    METRONET.ORG	    Metronet BBS Network

--
dell@apple.com / Thomas E Dell

brunner@bullhead.UUCP (MH 6.6, Eric Brunner) (12/05/90)

Two points, first, the use of "ZA" for the UNINET Project, second the use
of "SHOW.NET" for Uniforum.

Am I especially confused today or arn't we using ISO country codes where ever
possible? I'm clueless as to what the UNINET project is, but I'm guessing that
it isn't the fidonet hack to route South African traffic. Here is a fragment
of ISO 3166, posted last June or July:

From: Codes for the representation of names of countries.
      Third edition; ISO 3166: 1988 Aug 15; 53 p.

      Name                            2L      3L      Num
[scads of lines deleted]
      Somalia                         SO      SOM     706
      South Africa                    ZA      ZAF     710
      Spain                           ES      ESP     724
[more scads of lines deleted]

Nets for shows -- here are the ones that are regular, well, periodic, that I
know about:

USENIX	- usually set up by Ed Gould and Evi Nemuth et al, twice a year
InterOp	- Peter de Vries, Stev Knolles, Brigham, Romkey, Natalie, me, and
	  others, once a year
Net World - I don't know who sets this network up, I know a forklift tore
	  it down (ouch), once a year
UNIFORUM - I didn't know that Ed Palmer had decided to set up a network at
	   the next UNIFORUM, usually at the one-a-year USENIX-and-UNIFORUM-
	   in-the-same-city events, the network is set up by Ed and Evi.

In addition to this list there have been others and there will be others,
some have been associated with trade shows, others with technical conferences,
e.g., SIGGRAPH '89 (I bid on this one), and some will be single-vendor show
case demos. It seems like everyone calls the event that they are setting up
or using the "show net". This makes sense to me and I'd prefer that it remain
this way.

It is my understanding that InterOp uses "Shownet", and that Net World uses
"ShowNet" in their written references. It is also my understanding that the
NIC has allocated "SHOW.COM" to generic show nets for DNS resolution, and
that several network addresses (actually net 45, nets 130.128 and 130.129,
and a class C network which I've forgotten) have been allocated as well.
The parties to the agreement are Sue Romano (NIC) and Peter de Vries (ACE),
and the terms are as I've described, not especially intended for the the
exclusive benefit of InterOp (nee ACE).

All this so that anyone could attach what I think of as a mayfly network
(adult mayflys live for a day or so, mate and become trout food) to the inter
net without having to go through the motions of getting a network number
allocated and domain registered, each one, each time, and probably forgetting
to free either the number or domain afterwards.

I'd like the new top-level "SHOW.NET" domain de-allocated, and mapped to the
top level "SHOW.COM" domain. I'd prefer that traffic sent to

	postmaster@show.{com, net}

went to the same place, who ever is actually running a show network at
the time the DNS lookup is attempted. This way, which ever of us is actually
putting up a net and attaching to the internet doesn't have to do anything
other than just "get it right". It's pretty unlikely given the established
schedules of each of the groups I mention (due to hotel/site requirements,
we calander 5 years in advance) that there is going to be frequent overlaps
of usage of either the domain or the addresses. Also, we could have our users
just use the "luser@show.net", without having to explain how and why the top
level of the DNS is set up the way it is -- the sophisticates might use the
.COM domain, but they are not the majority. Generally speaking, I'd like the
addressing convention of

	ibm-booth-owner@show.com
or
	my-pal@show.net

to get my mail (and other people's too I suppose) to the right place, not some
portion dumped on the floor over at Uniforum's new offices.

I also think that it is "not on" that a for-profit entity which is an event
provider (rock concerts, trade shows), which is only incidently a production
network provider, to be registered any other way than as a "COM" domain.

I don't suppose that SHOW.EDU, SHOW.ORG, SHOW.GOV will arise, though there
are some mayfly examples of each that come to mind.

I'll call Ed Palmer and Ralph Barker over at Uniforum after lunch time
and find out why they asked for a top level domain for their once-a-year,
one-week show. Perhaps they didn't know they could use show.com and get a
class A net address at no extra charge. I'll follow up.

thorinn@DIKU.DK (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) (12/06/90)

   From: MH 6.6 (Eric Brunner) <brunner@bullhead.UUCP>

   first, the use of "ZA" for the UNINET Project, ...

The compiler of this list (or his automatic information gatherer) is
very trusting of some source of information, probably the NIC:

    Whois: domain za
    UNINET Project (ZA-DOM)
       Foundation for Research Development
       P.O. Box 2600
       Pretoria 0001
       REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA

       Domain Name: ZA

       Administrative Contact:
	  Shaw, Vic  (VS59)  uninet@FRD.AC.ZA
	  +27 12 841 3542
       Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
	  Jacot-Guillarmod, Francois  (FJG4)  ccfj@quagga.ru.ac.za
	  +27 461 22023 ext 284

       Record last updated on 07-Nov-90.

       Domain servers in listed order:

       SAQQARA.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU   128.146.8.98
       PLAINS.NODAK.EDU             134.129.111.64

       Top-level domain for the Republic of South Africa

       For information concerning this domain, please consult
       the Administrative Contact listed above.
    Whois:

This often happens with other domains on the list: Some part of an
organization needs Internet access, and registers a domain with a name
corresponding to the whole organization; but the information
registered for the domain shows only the suborganization.

Actually, even long-established country domains may have strange
descriptions:

    Dansk UNIX-system Bruger Gruppe (DK-DOM)

    UK Domain (UK-DOM)
	University College London (AC-DOM)

--
Lars Mathiesen, DIKU, U of Copenhagen, Denmark      [uunet!]mcsun!diku!thorinn
Institute of Datalogy -- we're scientists, not engineers.      thorinn@diku.dk

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (12/11/90)

brunner@bullhead.UUCP (MH 6.6, Eric Brunner) writes:

> Two points, first, the use of "ZA" for the UNINET Project, second the use
> of "SHOW.NET" for Uniforum.
> Am I especially confused today or arn't we using ISO country codes where ever
> possible? I'm clueless as to what the UNINET project is, but I'm guessing that
> it isn't the fidonet hack to route South African traffic. Here is a fragment
> of ISO 3166, posted last June or July:
>      South Africa                    ZA      ZAF     710

UNINET is an administrative group within the South African Foundation for
Research Development, akin to the US NSF.  They fund (cooperatively) the
university net of South Africa, aka UNINET.

They are the administrators for the South African domain, under which .AC.ZA
is currently active, and they're trying to sort out the rest.

Feel better now? :-)
--
..!{uunet,qiclab,intelhf,bucket}!m2xenix!news

ccml@quagga.ru.ac.za (Mike Lawrie) (12/11/90)

In <9012042102.AA13531@bullhead.awdpa.ibm.com> brunner@bullhead.UUCP (MH 6.6, Eric Brunner) writes:

>Two points, first, the use of "ZA" for the UNINET Project,

>Am I especially confused today or arn't we using ISO country codes where ever
>possible? I'm clueless as to what the UNINET project is, but I'm guessing that
>it isn't the fidonet hack to route South African traffic.

Let me try to clear some of the confusion.

The academic network in South Africa is known by the (unfortunate) name
of Uninet. It is sometimes distinguished from the 100's of other Uninets
of the world by calling it Uninet-za. There are some 20-odd universities
and research institutes in South Africa connected by various protocols
to form Uninet-za. Seed-money for the 64 Kbd trunks was provided by the
taxpayers via the Foundation for Research Development (the body that
funds most of the university research here). The academic sites will
fall under an .AC.ZA domain. The Uninet Office is the administrative
entity for the .ZA domain (and the .AC.ZA domain).

Uninet-za has adopted a policy of moving onto the Internet standards
as far as possible. There is a small internet of 4 sites, about 600 miles
apart, using tcp/ip. At the University of Cape Town (UCT) there is a
tcp/ip to Decnet gateway. At Rhodes University there are two gateways
to the big world, one being via a Fidonet Kludge, the other a uucp link.
Rhodes also runs a home-grown link into an IBM VMNOTEs network, that
allows sites like the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) to access
world-wide email.

We are looking to replace the uucp link with a tcp/ip dedicated
connection. Any help or comments about getting a dedicated 9600 baud
analog link at the USA end will be much appreciated - we have had
horrendous quotes ($8000 /mth) and don't really know how to get the
price closer to an affordable $3500 /mth.

There are several links to parts of Southern Africa (eg Botswana and
Namibia, soon Zimbabwe). These eminate from Rhodes as well.

There is also an active network of commercial hackers (I mean no
disrespect) called Sanet. This is potentially a .CO.ZA domain.

I will gladly handle any further questions or amplify on any
of the points above.

Mike Lawrie
Director Computing Services, Rhodes University, South Africa
        <ccml.rures@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org>
        <ccml@rures.ru.ac.za>
--- Rhodes University condemns racism and racial segregation and
strives to maintain a strong tradition of non-discrimination with
regard to race and gender in the constitution of its student body, in
the selection and promotion of its staff and in its administration.