[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Question about sending email from bitnet & internet host

PVJQC@CUNYVM (01/02/91)

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the correct place for this posting.
Forgive me if not.
I have access to a VAX on our campus which is a bitnet
node. I also have access to an IBM mainframe running VM/CMS which
is an INternet node. I have been using both the vax/vms and vm/cms
system for emailing all over. I do face problems sending mails to
people who have email addresses with 'bangs'(!). I basically would
like to get my 'FUNDAMENTALS' clear about these different types of
addresses and would like to know if sending mail to these various
addresses depends on the system one is using ( vax, IBM VM ) or
the types of networks one is connected to(bitnet,internet)??

Any help would be appreciated.
Happy New Year to you all.

Prashant.
-------

         *  PRASHANT V. JOSHI                                    *
         *  CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK.                         *
         *  INTERNET ADDRESS: PVJQC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU,             *
         *  BITNET ADDRESS  : PRASHANT@QCVAX.BITNET              *
         *                                                       *

anil@eleni.gc.cuny.edu (anil) (01/02/91)

In article <91001.200712PVJQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> <PVJQC@CUNYVM> writes:
>Hi,
>I am not sure if this is the correct place for this posting.
>Forgive me if not.
>I have access to a VAX on our campus which is a bitnet
>node. I also have access to an IBM mainframe running VM/CMS which
>is an INternet node. I have been using both the vax/vms and vm/cms
>system for emailing all over. I do face problems sending mails to
>people who have email addresses with 'bangs'(!). I basically would
>like to get my 'FUNDAMENTALS' clear about these different types of
>addresses and would like to know if sending mail to these various
>addresses depends on the system one is using ( vax, IBM VM ) or
>the types of networks one is connected to(bitnet,internet)??

If the VAX is running VMS and is on BITNET then the ordinary jnet
(RJE/NJE softw for BITNET on VMS) will not be able to handle bang (!) paths.
Bang paths are common amongst many UUCP based machines and on vanila Unixes.
If you have PMDF on your VAX or MX then these mailer interfaces will
translate bang paths reasonably well. For example, the machine I am using
understands both bang paths. e.g. ccnysci!eleni!anil and FQDN
anil@eleni.gc.cuny.edu.
Similary there are many hosts which are both on BITNET and internet.
These hosts are VAXs running VMS which again have 3rd party software
that accept various kinds to addressing syntax.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Happy New Year to you all.
>
>Prashant.
>-------

>         *  PRASHANT V. JOSHI                                    *
>         *  CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK.                         *
>         *  INTERNET ADDRESS: PVJQC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU,             *
>         *  BITNET ADDRESS  : PRASHANT@QCVAX.BITNET              *

anil
anil@eleni.gc.cuny.edu