[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] More routing question information

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (12/31/90)

In article <PCG.90Dec31145142@teachk.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>	[ ... kithrup has links to both SCO, a USENET site, and
>	ucscc, which is an Internet site but has an UUCP link to
>	kithrup, yet does not advertise itself as a USENET site or
>	an Internet-USENET gateway ... ]

Excuse me, but what in the world is an "Internet-USENET gateway"?
Usenet is just a name for the set of computers worldwide that exchange
Netnews (not mail), regardless of the communications nets they use to do
so.  It has nothing to do with mail routing, and there is no way to
describe a site's Usenet presence or absence in the UUCP maps, except
informally through comments.

I would not ordinarily object to casual misuse of the basic mail/news
terminology, but when someone of Piercarlo's stature gets it wrong, and
bases an entire long argument on it, I have to wonder what he really
means.  There is no such thing as a "Usenet gateway" for mail.  If there
is some kind of mail gateway one is not supposed to set up, what IS it,
actually?

--
The most common given name in the world is Mohammad; | Tom Neff
the most common family name in the world is Chang.   |

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (12/31/90)

On 29 Dec 90 18:24:22 GMT, sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan) said:

sef> I guess I didn't make myself terribly clear, since a couple of
sef> people have told me the same information.

In your previous message you did make yourself terribly clear, but I had
hoped that nobody would notice -- now that you are insisting, a reply
will have to come.

	[ ... kithrup has links to both SCO, a USENET site, and
	ucscc, which is an Internet site but has an UUCP link to
	kithrup, yet does not advertise itself as a USENET site or
	an Internet-USENET gateway ... ]

sef> All but a handful of my outgoing mail goes through ucscc.  Since
sef> I'm running mmdf, I have things set up very nicely (i.e., I don't
sef> run pathalias).  The problem is people who mail to *me*.  If they
sef> are running pathalias, the mail gets routed through the sco
sef> somehow, not ucscc (which is about 8 times quicker).  *uunet*
sef> routes mail to kithrup.uucp through sco, instead of uucp.

sef> one person told me to get a registered domain.  I do: kithrup.com.

A registration in the DNS implies an MX record pointing to you -- this
means that Internet sites that want to reach you already see 'ucscc' as
their gateway to you. Thus the reason why you would like to register
ucscc as an Internet to USENET gateway in the UUCP maps must be so that
other USENET sites, which use the maps as condensed by pathalias instead
of the DNS, could reach you using the Internet as a fast and free long
distance link, by doing USENET-Internet-USENET routes (that you seem to
imply to use yourself when sending mail). Forunately 'uunet' do the
proper thing instead.

sef> Now, is there some magic I can put into my map entry (or a forged
sef> map entry for ucscc, which I would prefer not to do) which will
sef> stop messages being routed through sco?

There are two problems, that you describe yourself as doing or
considering actions that are either illegal or extremely rude, as:

1) The Internet cannot be used in any circumstance as part of a route
between two USENET sites.

2) The Internet backbone and many regional IP networks cannot be used
even between two Internet sites if the traffic is strictly private or
commercial.

3) Advertising 'ucscc' in the UUCP maps as being a USENET site *and* an
Internet-USENET gateway without telling them is regarded as unspeakably
rude. Thank goodness you would prefer not to do it.

I have no reason to doubt that currently you discriminate and are careful
to send traffic via 'ucscc' onto the Internet only when the destination
site is on the Internet *and* the traffic is related to education or
research, and you route via 'sco' all traffic that is commercial or
private in nature or has a USENET site destination.

For the sake of avoiding possibly very serious trouble for yourself,
'ucscc', and a lot of sites that value Internet/USENET connectivity and
do not want to see it imperiled by freeloaders, please do not even
consider beginning to use your 'ucscc' connection to the Internet for
personal or commercial traffic, or to act as a the-taxpayer-be-damned,
free, quick channel between you and another USENET site, and tricking
'uunet' or other sites into cooperating with this by faking an entry for
'ucscc' as an Internet-USENET gateway without even telling them.

Somehow I am reminded of Pepys' famous diary when he writes about
catholics being found out and executed in England a few hundred years
ago to the the effect that "I wish to God that they either conform or be
wiser and not be caught", except that I somehow suspect that your
motives into considering certain quick fixes have little to do with
noble issues such as freedom of worship, but maybe of Mammon.

As to me, I pay for every single private or non strictly research or
education related e-mail message, photocopy, laser print, or phone call
I make in this University, and I am grateful for the concession, as it
is much more convenient for me to do such things here than having to
wait to be at home, and I think that having to reimburse the cost is
only fair.
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (01/02/91)

#
#Excuse me, but what in the world is an "Internet-USENET gateway"?
#
#I would not ordinarily object to casual misuse of the basic mail/news
#terminology, but when someone of Piercarlo's stature gets it wrong, and
#bases an entire long argument on it, I have to wonder what he really means.

I shouldn't worry about it - or anything else that Piercarlo posts.
It is his normal way to almost totally misunderstand a situation, build a
whole false edifice based on a small grain of truth, then post polemics
complaining that the situation he has imagined is wrong.

I used to argue with him - especially because of that grain of truth which
sometimes does need to be dealt with - but I have learned that it is a waste
of time.   And nobody should believe any of his statements about how the
various nets are organised unless they are corroborated by other, competent,
people.

I am sorry to so denigrate the views of another member of the net: it is
not my usual way.   But Piercarlo has confused so many arguements with his
distorted view of the world that I consider it necessary to warn others.

Regards,      David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or>  ...uunet!mcsun!ukc!stl!dww <or>  PSI%234237100122::DWW
Usenet works on the principle that 10,000 people know more about the answer to
any question than one does.  Unfortunately they know 10,000 different answers.

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (01/03/91)

On 1 Jan 91 22:55:20 GMT, dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) said:

dww> In the referenced article tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

pcg> In article <PCG.90Dec31145142@teachk.cs.aber.ac.uk>
pcg> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

tneff> Excuse me, but what in the world is an "Internet-USENET gateway"?
tneff> I would not ordinarily object to casual misuse of the basic
tneff> mail/news terminology, but when someone of Piercarlo's stature
tneff> gets it wrong, and bases an entire long argument on it, I have to
tneff> wonder what he really means.

Please note the (gentle, and well accepted) irony: the paragraph above
can be read "Piercarlo's entire argument makes no sense whatever because
it is based entirely on totally inappropriate terminology". It can also
be read in many other ways. I like this style. I like less this style:

dww> I shouldn't worry about it - or anything else that Piercarlo posts.
dww> It is his normal way to almost totally misunderstand a situation,
dww> build a whole false edifice based on a small grain of truth, then
dww> post polemics complaining that the situation he has imagined is
dww> wrong. [ ... and worse ... ]

This is called humour-impairment, man. Cool your jets :->.

As to whether there is really something strange in the water in
Aberyswyth, let the readership beware. I am quite sure that they can
make up their own minds. Networks are a very political thing, and
everybody knows, or ought to know, that. Maybe not everybody knows that
I have no interest whatsoever in these politics except intellectual
curiosity and concern over an important aspect of the field which I have
chosen for my career. I am not selling anything here -- I am just a wary
customer. Others cannot say the same.

Rubbishing other people's reputation in the extravagant way you use
demonstrates little diplomatic sense. Or maybe you want to become a
celebrity -- maybe one day it will be possible to prove attribution, and
then you make history by being the first person to lose a million pounds
thanks to a posting. Keep trying :->.
--

wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) (01/04/91)

In article <3882@stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
>In the referenced article tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>#In article <PCG.90Dec31145142@teachk.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>
>I am sorry to so denigrate the views of another member of the net: it is
>not my usual way.   But Piercarlo has confused so many arguements with his
>distorted view of the world that I consider it necessary to warn others.

Thanks David, think most readers saw through the polemics. I guess what
I'm wondering, is whether you ever won any of the arguments. :-)

--
Wain Dobson, Vancouver, B.C.
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!seac!wain

thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) (01/06/91)

Mr. Grandi used an oddity of the English language called a 'synecdoche'.
This is a reference to an object by naming a part of that object, c.f.
a "field hand" or "deck hand".  UseNet refers to the bulletin board
system itself, he was talking about the larger UUCP/Internet web.

Other than that, he uses the words correctly and gets the legalities
correctly too.  Pay attention!  The Internet is being used as a "commons",
as in "The Tragedy of the Commons".  UUCP->Internet->UUCP is an abuse
if it's not government-sponsored research, or you're not designing bombs :-)

Synecdoche is your new word for the day.  Pronounce the 'ch' 'sh'.

pjt@cpac.washington.edu (Larry Setlow) (01/06/91)

In article <37629@cup.portal.com> thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) writes:
   Synecdoche is your new word for the day.  Pronounce the 'ch' 'sh'.

[email bounced.  Think of this as my inappropriate post for the month]

Better still, prounounce the 'ch' as 'k' and the 'e' as 'ee'.  Four
syllables, stress on the second.

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (01/07/91)

In article <37629@cup.portal.com> thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) writes:
>Mr. Grandi used an oddity of the English language called a 'synecdoche'.

Even if he had, synecdoche has no proper place in a technical discussion
about which networks should interconnect.  The part cannot be casually
substituted for the whole, or vice versa, when the very meat of the
argument concerns inappropriate routing through parts and wholes.

>The Internet is being used as a "commons",
>as in "The Tragedy of the Commons".  UUCP->Internet->UUCP is an abuse
>if it's not government-sponsored research, or you're not designing bombs :-)

First of all, there is a distinction between simple misuse of an
apparently free resource, versus the specific economic paradox embodied
in the "Tragedy of the Commons."  In the latter (Commons) case, it was
explicitly in each user's interest to maximize his (quite permissible)
use of the resource, in order that he not suffer competitively with
other users; the end result being destruction of the resource for all.
But in the Internet case, (a) there is no underlying right to use it as
a third party mail carrier in the first place; (b) given the
availability of non-Internet ways for many sites to get mail delivered
(high speed modems make UUCP much more attractive, for instance), users
are not compelled to keep using the Internet resource forever even as
quality of service degrades with increased usage.  They can switch to
something else.  So the much-overused Commons model fits poorly.  What
we really have is a modified black market, where the Man could
theoretically lower the boom any day but doesn't, and where the door is
always open for someone to come in and offer better service for a
cheaper price -- but while the quasi-illicit resource is out there for
the taking and not yet overwhelmed, only a few (like UUNET and PSI)
will bother.

Finally, there is not much hard data available on the extent of Internet
misuse.  What misuse does occur is only partly intentional; some of it
is a by-product of inaccurate UUCP mapping, and could be corrected.

>Synecdoche is your new word for the day.  Pronounce the 'ch' 'sh'.

Did you know that the word 'gullible' is not in the dictionary?

(Synecdoche is, of course, pronounced sin-EK-duh-kee.  Pedantry is its
own reward :-) )
--
"I'm not sure I've even got the brains to   #:#   Tom Neff
 be President." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964    #:#   tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (01/07/91)

According to thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog):
>UUCP->Internet->UUCP is an abuse if it's not government-sponsored research,
>or you're not designing bombs :-)

If so, then why is the DNS so happy to register UUCP-only sites?  Not
that I'm complaining about the DNS, but it seems inconsistent.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
       "If Usenet exists, then what is its mailing address?"  -- me

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (01/09/91)

In article <27887475.65E6@tct.uucp>, chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> If so, then why is the DNS so happy to register UUCP-only sites?  Not
> that I'm complaining about the DNS, but it seems inconsistent.

DNS visibility has nothing to do with Internet connectivity as such.
In fact, the DNS and IP network number applications make it quite
clear that actual Internet connectivity is a separate issue that must
be approved by the appropriate agencies.

--
Amanda Walker
Visix Software Inc.

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (01/09/91)

In article <27887475.65E6@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog):
>>UUCP->Internet->UUCP is an abuse if it's not government-sponsored research,
>>or you're not designing bombs :-)
>
>If so, then why is the DNS so happy to register UUCP-only sites?  Not
>that I'm complaining about the DNS, but it seems inconsistent.

Perhaps to allow Internet sites to send mail to them by only having to
specify user@site.dom.ain ?  It sure makes life easier for me and my users.
I can use the UUCP maps for one of my MUAs (ELM), but not the one used by
the majority of my users, and not for the MTAs.  So having MX records for
UUCP sites served by an Internet site is A Good Thing(tm).

I believe most dual sites (I am one) only advertise their UUCP links in the
maps.  I connect to some Internet sites via both SMTP and UUCP, but I only
show the UUCP links.  That way, the maps will only generate a UUCP path
even though I could use the Internet for that hop (by could use I mean in
the technology sense, not the legal sense).
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med