[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] UKC and mail prices

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (12/31/90)

On 27 Dec 90 11:08:42 GMT, peter@micromuse.co.uk (Peter Galbavy) said:

somebody> UKC has a monopoly so it can charge what it likes.

peter> In article <JIM.90Dec24154456@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk>
peter> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:

jim> False. There's nothing stopping you or anyone else from arranging
jim> your own transatlantic links and paying for the calls yourself. If
jim> you honestly think you can get a better, cheaper service by doing
jim> it all yourself, then go ahead. I think you'll soon find that the
jim> reality is somewhat different.

peter> NO NO NO NO

peter> Wanna bet ? I was at one point quite happy to go direct to a site
peter> in the US, but I could not register a domain name because UKC
peter> "was responsible for this in the UK" (sorry 'bout bad speeling).

The old problem of the NRS (not "...!mcsun!ukc") controlling the 'uk'
domain: there are several aspects to this argument, as it involves
traffic and gateways between Janet/PSS, the Internet, and several UUCP
networks.

This article is going to be long, because I will try to provide a brief
summary of all such aspects, even of the little known or often not well
understood or misrepresented ones. This article is being crossposted to
comp.mail.uucp, comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains and uk.misc, because it
covers non simple issues of gatewaying between the three zones.

The various aspects of the name registration problem are more or less:

1) The NRS has no relationship that I know of to "UKnet". The NRS is a
government service that provides a registry of symbolic names for United
Kingdom organizations that are reachable via Janet/PSS. To them the
"UKnet" is probably just a nuisance, not being run by the Civil Service,
the more regrettable because they run the UUCP protocols and not the
official coloured books ones. Note that the NRS 'uk' domain is *purely*
a coloured book thing, and does not involve any other networking
standard or organization.

    In practice there is some odd arrangement between the two, but
    mostly because many sites happen to be both customers of the
    University of Kent and are subsidized by the JNT as well.

peter> I do not object to UKC providing the gateway service, because you
peter> may be able to compete either for yourself or commercially, but
peter> they are also the people that maintain the maps, and so the two
peter> functions of domain administration and gateway service seem to
peter> generate a 'conflict of interest' (notice the quotes please) in
peter> that if you want a domain name, you have to pay UKC the standing
peter> charge, even if you do not use their services.

2) The UUCP site "...!mcsun!ukc" is the official *volunteer* keeper, as
far as the USA UUCP people are concerned, of the UUCP maps for the
British Isles (I think Eire included). As such, they *ought* to have the
duty to register, in the portion they manage of the worldwide UUCP maps,
any site that wants to be registered and is based in it, *even if the
site is not one of their customers*, even if the site's connectivity is
only with USA sites.

   I do not know if anybody who is not a customer of the University of
   Kent ever tried to submit to them a UUCP map entry. I know that in
   other countries in similar circumstances registration was *refused*,
   quite against all known USENET conventions. There are indeed on uunet
   *two* distinct sets of European UUCP maps, with two distinct sets of
   sites that collect map entries for each country.

peter> What I would like to see is a body (NRS equivelant for commercial
peter> sites ?) that registers names for a one time charge perhaps (and
peter> a charge for any changes made, each time) - and then let all and
peter> sundry provide services in and out of the UK...

3) It *ought* to be possible to be possible to register a 'gb' top level
domain with the DNS top level domain registry. For some incredible
fudge, the DNS contains a valid (it is registered) but illegal (it
violates DNS rules) 'uk' top level domain, of which the NRS is
responsible, that contains the same set of names as the NRS, with
flipped domain order. In way of principle there ought to be no problem
to having a parallel, purely Internet, 'gb' domain, and sites that were
on both Janet/PSS and Internet could register with different names in
both, like sites in EARN/BITNET or the UUCP networks already do.

    There is no obvious candidate for the role of registry of the 'gb'
    top level domain. The NRS is obviously disqualified because they are
    strictly Janet/PSS oriented, and even hostile to the Internet. I
    think that the BSI may be a more credible candidate, if at all.

In other words the NRS is the name registration system for networks
adopting the coloured book standards, the DNS is the one for those
adopting the Internet standards, and the UUCP maps are for those
adopting the UUCP protocols. The three name registration systems do
interact haphazardly with each other, as none of them has provisions for
gateways to other naming zones.

This is the theory on name registration for Janet/PSS and for the
European branch(es) of Internet and the UUCP Zone. In practice some
amusing bits of politics color the issue, as far as the European
branch(es) of the Internet and of the UUCP Zone are concerned, more or
less as follows:

A) It is possible to register non USA based Internet domains as though
they were USA based. Several Canadian sites are registered under both
'ca' and 'edu'; some UK sites are registered under 'com'. Many European
sites are registered under 'sublink.org'. It is not possible to register
sites under 'gb' because there is nobody responsible for that domain. It
is possible to register under 'uk' with the NRS even if you are not in
any way connected with the UKnet or even Janet/PSS (not sure about the
latter though), and in some way this will register you with the DNS as
well, with a valid but illegal domain (this is starting to sound like
Jesuits debating canon law...) name.

B) The EUnet and the UKnet backbone (and most national backbones) will
boyocott traffic between one of their customers and another of their
customers, if the ultimate source/destination is not a customer _and_ is
running the UUCP protocols _and_ is located in Europe. Note that, even
if they they try to claim that billing is the ostensible reason, this is
not because of money problems -- all traffic between two customers of
the UKnet/EUnet must be paid for by the originating site. The boycott is
done _purely_ to make it impossible operating a EUnet/UKnet <-> SUBlink
gateway, even if the gateway site is prepared to pay for all the costs
of the EUnet leg of the traffic, to deny SUBlink sites a larger
connectivity.

    Note: the boycott applies *only* to traffic with "competing"
    European UUCP networks -- the EUnet/UKnet do not boycott UUCP
    traffic outside Europe (USENET), or non UUCP traffic within Europe
    (EARN), even if the other party is not a EUnet/UKnet customer (in
    which case the party which is a customer has to pay for both the
    mail it sends and that which it receives). Thus the absurdity that
    UUCP traffic between an European SUBlink site and an European
    EUnet/UKnet site *must* be routed via a gateway in another continent,
    usually some USENET site, because direct gatewaying between the
    two European UUCP networks is not allowed by EUnet/UKnet.

C) So, the EUnet/UKnet backbone are not user groups in any way and will
boycott any direct gateway to any other European UUCP network, thus
denying sites on both networks better connectivity. They provide a
commercial style service to their private customers, and the boycott is
narrowly targeted only against what they perceive as potential suppliers
of the same service (European UUCP mail and news forwarding). Therefore
they are in a very different position from the USENET traditional UUCP
volunteer sites that are regional backbones and UUCP map collection
points.

The latter point has not yet been well understood by most of the USENET
people in the USA (or for that matter by many in Europe as well), which
often therefore do not realize why independent European sites want to
connect directly to them and think they are time wasters.

    They tell them to go to their Unix user group, which is pointless,
    because European Unix user groups are the source of the problem
    (also note that even if they are very cosy to each other, the
    European backbone and the user groups are not legally the same
    thing). Fortunately there are quite a few USENET sites that seem to
    understand the situation and are ready to provide, in true USENET
    spirit, connectivity to independent European sites, and even
    registration.
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) (01/02/91)

In article <PCG.90Dec31135754@teachk.cs.aber.ac.uk>, pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

> A) It is possible to register non USA based Internet domains as though
> they were USA based. Several Canadian sites are registered under both
> 'ca' and 'edu'; some UK sites are registered under 'com'. Many European
> sites are registered under 'sublink.org'.

Hello Peter (ciao) and everybody, since you quote sublink, i think
i need to point out the situation, being currently the network
coordinator. Disclaimer: what i say may or may not be the opinion
of the official management of sublink, which is a lawfully organization
in Italy. I'm just the net coord., not the president or whatever.
'sublink.org' is just an italian organization. I think Peter Grandi
was referring to the bigger .sub.org in west germany, or may be both
of the .sub*.org things.

> B) The EUnet and the UKnet backbone (and most national backbones) will
> boyocott traffic between one of their customers and another of their
> customers, if the ultimate source/destination is not a customer _and_ is
> running the UUCP protocols _and_ is located in Europe. Note that, even
> if they they try to claim that billing is the ostensible reason, this is
> not because of money problems -- all traffic between two customers of
> the UKnet/EUnet must be paid for by the originating site. The boycott is
> done _purely_ to make it impossible operating a EUnet/UKnet <-> SUBlink
> gateway, even if the gateway site is prepared to pay for all the costs
> of the EUnet leg of the traffic, to deny SUBlink sites a larger
> connectivity.
>
>     Note: the boycott applies *only* to traffic with "competing"
>     European UUCP networks -- the EUnet/UKnet do not boycott UUCP
>     traffic outside Europe (USENET), or non UUCP traffic within Europe
>     (EARN), even if the other party is not a EUnet/UKnet customer (in
>     which case the party which is a customer has to pay for both the
>     mail it sends and that which it receives). Thus the absurdity that
>     UUCP traffic between an European SUBlink site and an European
>     EUnet/UKnet site *must* be routed via a gateway in another continent,
>     usually some USENET site, because direct gatewaying between the
>     two European UUCP networks is not allowed by EUnet/UKnet.

Well, really EUnet has the rights to 'boycott' our trafic also being
registered under a .org domain and linking to the US like we do.
This is an old story, two years ago my youth made me think this was
somehow illegal. Maybe this is un-ethical from the Usenet's point of view,
but it's perfectly legal. EUnet has the rights to do whatever they
want, since it's not Usenet which is paying for the ld calls or
the internet trafic. They put the money in it, so it's really
their business. I'm not going to argue about this anymore.
Discussions on this matter do not bring to anything; as i said,
it's something i've been learning on my own skin 2 years ago.

> C) So, the EUnet/UKnet backbone are not user groups in any way and will
> boycott any direct gateway to any other European UUCP network, thus
> denying sites on both networks better connectivity. They provide a
> commercial style service to their private customers, and the boycott is
> narrowly targeted only against what they perceive as potential suppliers
> of the same service (European UUCP mail and news forwarding). Therefore
> they are in a very different position from the USENET traditional UUCP
> volunteer sites that are regional backbones and UUCP map collection
> points.

EUnet provides professional services, on a professional base,
it's not something based on volunteers, though a lot of good
volunteers help Eunet.
I can't speak for other countries, but in Italy i2u is offering real
time connection to the internet and of course UUCP links to Eunet
very seriously, and you pay for this quality.
Now,quoting..
> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>
> jim> False. There's nothing stopping you or anyone else from arranging
> jim> your own transatlantic links and paying for the calls yourself. If
> jim> you honestly think you can get a better, cheaper service by doing
> jim> it all yourself, then go ahead. I think you'll soon find that the
> jim> reality is somewhat different.

For us, it's not a matter of getting a better service of what eunet
can offer. It' s just the price of the service which creates some
problems. For instance, i don't care about real-time and i would
poll eunet's backbone once a day. That's what i can afford, since
the backbone is also a long distance call within italy.
Since more than a year ago we started polling US by ourselves.
Who are we? Companies, students, single guys who are not willing
(or can't) spend too much.
We didn't do it better than EUnet, it's different. I would say it's
just a less expensive networking, on both i2unix and sublink you get
what you pay for.
Reality is of course *very different from what one might expect: costs
for italy-US transmissions are very high. We have a very low budget
(less than 20.000 $ a year), it's not easy to survive, but we do.
Our fees are of course *very low.In 1989,1990 fees were ranging
from ~40$ to ~250$ a year.
That's because the US link is just a part of what we do: basically we
are trying to connect italy in a very similar way of USENET in US,
i.e. with regional backbones, fast links with telebit modems etc.
What is the most difficult part of the work? Costs sharing!
That's a real pain. We could link to the german .sub.org and
avoid calling direct US, but we should do cost-sharing with
them also, and the link with w.germany from italy is costing
too. So each one calls US (dunno much about the .sub.org right now).

I guess that for EUnet it's a matter of preserving their "cost-sharing"
too, and i understand that. By the time being, we just live and
prosper. We let eunet mail (also coming from UK) enter sublink, and
please note that we *do *pay for it! I.e.: if a eunet's user sends mail to
us, WE do pay for his mail! What else can we do?
Cut the mail or send it back like eunet used to do ? We would pay for that
mail twice, it's not a good idea. Furthermore, eunet's users (at least
some of them) are willing to communicate with us, and they are welcome.
It would be far much worst if we could not send to eunet; but we can do
it (apparently), so i don't see problems. I hope this message won't
start blacklisting back.

Conclusions: setting up an independent uucp network in europe
and make it talk to the US is very hard, but can be done.
It would be much,much, much more better if eunet's fees would
consider 'low cost' sites, i.e. sites paying for their own trafic
at a reasonable cost, without those high yearly fees..
How, i don't know. It's not easy.
I hope that the InterEUnet tcp/ip network will cut down fees,
at least in italy. So that in a future may be it will be possibile
to discuss a 'special' subscription for our members paying for
a 'forfait' fee.

It's just so stupid that a mail being sent from the university of
milano, which stands 5Km from me, goes through US and then comes here
with tons of headers.

> --
> Piercarlo Grandi                 | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
> Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
> Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk

Happy 91,

--
Paolo Ventafridda     -*-     INTERNET: venta@otello.sublink.org
TELEMATIX MILANO - Via C.Gomes 10, 20124 Milano -  +39-2-6706012

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (01/05/91)

In article <1146@otello.sublink.org> venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) writes:
>It would be much,much, much more better if eunet's fees would
>consider 'low cost' sites, i.e. sites paying for their own trafic
>at a reasonable cost, without those high yearly fees..

Well, in Sweden, which IS part of europe, the fee is 1000 SKr/year this is
something like 120 british pounds or 160 american dollars, and I really don't
think that is very expensive. This also makes you member of the swedish unix
users group. Tell us what you think is expensive, instead of just claiming
'it is', please. As for Pier-Carlo, he tends to think UK is all there is in
europe, and apply the UK mess on all the other countries too. Hell, even
Germany doesn't have as big a mess as the UK does anymore. Lets hope the UK
commercial internet goes well, and that the UK mail problems get solved.
If they can cooperate on using a .gb domain, and gatewaying internet mail/
uucp mail, a lot has been won. As for .uk, well, see you later alligator.
--
Per Andersson (perand@admin.kth.se, perand@stacken.kth.se)
Trying a new job at Bofors Electronics,

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (01/15/91)

On 31 Dec 90 13:57:54 GMT, I had written:

pcg> B) The EUnet and the UKnet backbone (and most national backbones)
pcg> will boyocott traffic between one of their customers and another of
pcg> their customers, if the ultimate source/destination is not a
pcg> customer _and_ is running the UUCP protocols _and_ is located in
pcg> Europe. [ ... ]

pcg>     Note: the boycott applies *only* to traffic with "competing"
pcg> European UUCP networks -- the EUnet/UKnet do not boycott UUCP
pcg> traffic outside Europe (USENET), or non UUCP traffic within Europe
pcg> (EARN), even if the other party is not a EUnet/UKnet customer (in
pcg> which case the party which is a customer has to pay for both the
pcg> mail it sends and that which it receives).

Some people have expressed skepticism. Well, here is a digest of an
exchange of one year agho on the subject. I have not deleted or mended
any part of the text, just reflown it here and there to enhance
readability. I understand that the situation has improved a very little
bit in the meantime.

  From: teus@fs1-cg.oce.nl (Teus Hagen)
  Subject: Re: i2ack request for news/email supply connection
  Date: 16 Jan 89 13:32:43 GMT

  The news costs in Europe, and students cannot afford news in Europe:

	  Transport of data over an ocean costs money. The way to make
	  news available to as many as possble readers in Europe is
	  either sharing the (PTT) costs, or have someone fully pay
	  for it. The last solution: nobody has stand up to do it (in
	  the past DEC and Philips did it, thanks).  So we have the
	  first: sharing of transport costs.

	  This is a very riscy situation: ie if someone does gets it
	  cheaper via other routes initially, and will supply others,
	  he will cause a snowball running of cheap intermediate news,
	  destroy the current situation, end finally end up in the
	  same situation of EUnet news:  more costs.  Sites will jump
	  from one snowball to the other..., creating problematic
	  situations for existing service providers in the
	  intermediate time.

	  So think carefully if one will try to start such connections.

  At this moment the costs for news articles consists of three basics:

  1)US link costs (because of sharing the costs and cheap bulk
    connection the costs is quite low) from Us to European central
    node.  Cost is dependent to the amount of European news
    subscribers. So really very low costs.

  2)costs from European central node to the national backbone.  Costs
    are rather low, as divided by national news subscribers.

  3)costs from national backbone to the news subscriber. This is the main
  costs.

  What you see is that due to the large amount of subscribers costs are
  basically caused by the national siruation. For i2ack it means: get
  as many as possible subscribers hooked up to the national italian
  backbone!  And your costs will be lower as they can be done now (do
  not expect that others will carry your subscription costs for a
  longer period!).  Or do not parasitize on European news subscribers.

  The same rules apply for email. As currently rented lines are used
  for some connections (eg US-Europe). So with fixed prices, email
  transport costs are shared as well.

  I hope I've explained why I, personally will not honor such a
  connection request.

  teus hagen
  ____________________________

  This note does not necessarily represent the position of Oce-Nederland
  b.v..  Therefore no liability or responsibility for whatever will be
  accepted.

  From: csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst)
  Subject: Re: French and UK sites wanted for EUcon.
  Date: 18 Jan 89 20:44:31 GMT

  In article <303@dcs.UUCP> wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
  > Does this mean what I think it does? Does the EUnet backbone reject mail
  > which has a non-subscribing European site anywhere in the path, i.e.
  > xyz!mcvax!uunet!i2ack?

  Yes. Any EUNet backbone will eat any mail to/from any European site
  that is not a member of EUNet.

  >If the former, then this is a most blatant violation of the USENET spirit
  >I have come across.

  Well, let's see. EUNet is organized something like this:

		  kddlab------\       /---i2unix
			       \     /
  North_america-----uunet-------mcvax-----unido
			       /     \
		  munnari-----/       \---other_Eu_national_backbones

  In other words, there is a single point of entry for all traffic
  outside of EUNet, and major hubs in each country. The topology is
  designed to minimize the largest cost: crossing international
  boundaries. Members of EUNet pay both fixed membership costs and
  packet charges.

  Some sites, particularly in Germany, have decided to reduce costs by
  setting up direct North American UUCP links. They are still members
  of EUNet, though; they pay their annual dues, and use EUNet for
  continental traffic. They just use their own links for USA traffic
  because the packet charges are lower.

  What Paolo is doing is different. He is not an EUNet member. He is
  instead setting up an alternative network in Europe to compete
  against EUNet. I know the EUNet folks aren't crazy about this, since
  it stands to make hash of a lot of hard work. but they aren't trying
  to interfere with him either; and as far as I can tell, Paolo is
  having a lot of fun doing this.

  EUnet is, though, 100% within their rights to refuse to pass mail to
  or from his site, or any other eucon site. And there is more to it
  than the old, "it's my site to do with as I please" argument.

  Consider what's happening here. Since i2ack is not connected to
  EUNet, there is only one way for him to get mail to EUNet hosts:

	  i2ack->pyramid->uunet->mcvax->EUNet_backbone->EUNet_host

  This is obviously a lot more expensive than a simple hop within the
  EUNet, and EUNet is picking up most of the costs. You could argue
  that i2ack doesn't log- ically appear to EUNet to be any different
  than any American site, and you'd be right. And that was the case
  Paolo tried to make to EUNet. But i2ack is *not* a North American
  site. EUNet has made an exception for North America; the membership
  has decided that traffic with North America is important, and
  therefore they will pay for it. In other words, EUNet is doing a
  tremendous favor to all of us folks on this side of the pond, saying
  that we are so im- portant to them that they are willing to pay for
  the priviledge. But they are not about to subsidize other Eurpoeans;
  everyone pays their own fair share.

  Paolo is following the traditional Usenet battlecry: "If you don't
  like this network, set up your own!" And he's putting his money
  where his mouth is. But you can't expect the network he is competing
  against to subsidize him. At the least, EUNet runs on a shoestring
  budget themselves.

  What's this "spirit" stuff any way? Usually it's a euphamism for,
  "I'm a poor broke site, so I'll let big rich sites foot my bills."
  And by golly, a lot of us have done that over the years. But note
  that one reason the "<>" construct was added to pathalias was
  because of the number of UUNet subscriber sites who were unwilling
  to accept passthrough mail. When the money is up front and in plain
  view, people are a lot more careful. And, frankly, a lot more fair.
  Even if less democratic.

  <csg>

  From: venta@i2ack.UUCP (Paolo Ventafridda)
  Date: 20 Jan 89 01:04:38 GMT

  In article <1035@oce-rd1.oce.nl>, teus@fs1-cg.oce.nl (Teus Hagen) writes:
  > The news costs in Europe, and students cannot afford news in Europe:
  > 	Transport of data over an ocean costs money. The way to make news available
  > 	to as many as possble readers in Europe is either sharing the (PTT) costs,
  > 	or have someone fully pay for it. The last solution: nobody has stand up
  > 	to do it (in the past DEC and Philips did it, thanks).

  I had written a long article about costs, and the word "sharing",
  but i felt it would break my "armistice" with mcvax &C., so i didn't
  include it.  Instead, i would like to ask if it is possible to get
  the list of costs of EUnet, along with the one for the trafic of
  i2unix.

  > 	So we have the first: sharing of transport costs.
  > 	This is a very riscy situation: ie if someone does gets it cheaper via
  > 	other routes initially, and will supply others, he will cause a snowball
  > 	running of cheap intermediate news, destroy the current situation,
  > 	end finally end up in the same situation of EUnet news: more costs.

  Whom are you talking about?  I2ack is on Usenet! It is cheaper for
  us to have a direct link to USA than paying i2unix! We already have
  News.

  > 	So think carefully if one will try to start such connections.

  You didn't get the main point: EUcon is a standalone network. It has
  gateways on Usenet and wherever we need to go.  There are a bunch of
  EUCON systems which are also on EUnet. Just think of EUcon as EUnet
  for poor people, and you'll get the idea :-) .

  > At this moment the costs for news articles consists of three basics:
  > 1)US link costs (because of sharing the costs and cheap bulk connection the costs is
  >   quite low) from Us to European central node.

  quite low? i thought they were very high.

  >   Cost is dependent to the amount of European news subscribers. So really very low costs.

  Again very low costs. Uhm...

  > 2)costs from European central node to the national backbone.
  >   Costs are rather low, as divided by national news subscribers.

  Low costs again.  I think we have a different concept of what
  "a-lot-of-money " is.

  > 3)costs from national backbone to the news subscriber. This is the main costs.

  You SHOULD be right.. but this should be up to the node. I mean, it's me that
  decide how often to poll the backbone.

  > What you see is that due to the large amount of subscribers costs are basically
  > caused by the national siruation. For i2ack it means: get as many as possible
  > subscribers hooked up to the national italian backbone!

  ..but in Italy one has to pay for the single SUBSCRIPTION a lot of
  $$$.  Thousands of $$$. This money is spent without sending or
  receiving a single byte. In addition, one has to pay for the
  backbone transmission costs, which charges 1024 bytes 0.25 $ , PLUS
  an yearly additional fee for News.  With the same money i buy an
  X.25 line and go straight to US links.  Finally, one has to call its
  backbone, which -in our case- has a wrong PAD configuration, and
  allows only 1200 baud phone connections. This is it.

  > And your costs will be lower as they can be done now (do not expect that others will
  > carry your subscription costs for a longer period!).

  Again, i am NOT asking for a news feed in europe. You missed the
  sense of my message.

  > Or do not parasitize on European news subscribers.

  I don't feel like a parasite. If anyone on EUnet wants to send mail
  to US through us, he can do it.

  Anyway, my previous message meant this:  we are looking for new
  nodes, so that we can forward mail in Europe without routing through
  EUnet backbones.  That's it. The problem seems not to be the
  "transatlantic" link with uunet:  EUnet wants money also for sending
  within its nodes. Also if nodes are willing to get the mail, to
  forward it etc., backbones stop it.

  Finally, i would like to point out that i2ack is just a node. Our
  network is called Sublink, and actually has half the number of nodes
  i2unix has.  If EUnet would allow our mail coming from uunet to
  reach europe (as for a common bunch of nodes on Usenet), we would
  offer exactly the same service as i2unix, for FREE. We are not
  supported by anyone: if we got the money i2unix asks his nodes, i
  would buy a Sperry 5050 too.

  Greetings, Paolo

  --
  Paolo Ventafridda     Via Ottoboni 6,20148 Milano - Italy      Tel.+392-4032432
  EUnet:blue@altger  eucon:venta@i2ack   BANG:{pyramid,altger,tmpmbx}!i2ack!venta

  From: jim@eda.com (Jim Budler)
  Date: 21 Jan 89 08:57:16 GMT

  In article <105@i2ack.UUCP> venta@i2ack.UUCP (Paolo Ventafridda) writes:
  #
  # i myself took notice of this, and i am doing my best to "lock" (reject)
  # outgoing mail out of uunet and eucon. That is, any mail on EUnet.
  # Some user on Sublink still didn't get this limitation..
  #
  # At least these messages on EUnet and Usenet described how the whole
  # thing works :-)
  #                          Paolo

  I may be incorrect on how I understand this but:

	  1. Eucon nodes can send mail to the world, except for Eunet.

	  2. Eunet nodes can send mail to the world, except for Eucon.

	  3. The world can send mail to either, as long as they don't
	  attempt to send it *thru* the other.

  In the above, receive/from can be substituted for send/to.

  In the above Sublink appears to be synonymous with Eucon.

  I feel appalled that in this time of increased connectivity, we now
  are creating a situation in which some people on Usenet cannot
  communicate with other people on Usenet.

  I have no desire to cast blame on anyone, but I feel that this situation
  is unacceptable.

  jim
  --
  Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
					   domain: jim@eda.com

  From: wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul)
  Date: 22 Jan 89 14:34:19 GMT

  In article <32219@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bill Wisner <wisner@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
  >>I feel appalled that in this time of increased connectivity, we now
  >>are creating a situation in which some people on Usenet cannot
  >>communicate with other people on Usenet.
  >
  >Picture: a EUCon user sends mail to pyramid, to uunet, to EUNet.
  >Simple enough, no?

  It would be, except a recent posting indicated that the EUNet
  backbone sites will throw out anything with the name of a EUCon site
  (or for that matter, any European site which is not registered with
  EUNet) anywhere in the path.

  This is where I have my problem with this system:

  I can understand and accept that EUNet does not want to pass mail
  from one unregistered site to another, but as long as either the
  destination or the origin of a message is within EUNet, they ought
  to pass it on, as a courtesy to their own member sites.

  If they do not do that, then I question (as a USENIX member) whether
  UUNET should allow them reduced rate or free access to uunet -- they
  are not legitimately fulfilling the gateway function which is the
  basis for their special treatment.

  I am in a situation where I might soon be moving to Europe, and will
  probably join the national User Group in whichever country I go to,
  and thus become a registered EUNet site. I do not want EUNet telling
  me who I can correspond with, after I pay whatever membership or
  access charges apply.

  UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
  DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

  From: csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst)
  Date: 22 Jan 89 20:21:43 GMT

  In article <9198@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) writes:
  >If that's U.S. dollars, that's a HUNDRED times the average cost per
  >kilobyte that Brian Reid estimates in his monthly readership summaries.
  >
  >If this is accurate:  Why does Eunet have to cost so much?

  The (typical) cost that EUNet must pay to their X.25 provider is
  approximately $0.19 per kilobyte (actually $12 per kilosegment),
  plus $12/hour connect time, plus monthly service fees that run from
  $500 to $1500 per month. Work it out, and you'll find EUNet isn't
  exactly raking in the bucks. These links are also fairly slow, which
  limits traffic in a practical sense. Generally, dialup is not an
  effective alternative (more expensive and less reliable), and Trail-
  Blazers aren't legal.

  And you wonder why the Europeans complain about Dinnette-For-Sale ads?

  The big problem in Europe isn't a monopolistic EUNet; it's
  monopolistic and paranoid PTTs (Post-Telephone-Telegraph).

  <csg>

  From: wisner@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bill Wisner)
  Date: 24 Jan 89 02:32:19 GMT

  By now it is quite clear that EUnet does, indeed, torch mail from
  EUcon, regardless of how it arrived.

  So I'll hop on the bandwagon and start flaming them. As far as EUnet
  is concerned, EUcon sites should look exactly like normal North
  American USENET sites. Making an artificial and arbitrary
  distinction is revolting.

  But it's hardly the first revolting thing they have ever done. Soon
  after I first registered killer as killer.dallas.tx.us, I got a
  piece of bounced mail from mcvax. The attached error message rather
  nastily informed me that "US" was not a valid top-level domain, and
  that mcvax would not pass mail from bogus domains. (That action
  alone might, possibly, conceivably, be excusable, but if they are
  going to do it they had better at least get their facts straight.)

  From: venta@i2ack.UUCP (Paolo Ventafridda)
  Date: 24 Jan 89 09:59:29 GMT

  In article <2162@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) writes:
  > In article <459@eda.com> jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) writes:
  >
  > I would suggest that RIDICULOUS is a far better choice.
  I would call it TRAGICAL..

  > BTW my reading of the previous articles on this situation was a little
  > different. I believe that the newer of the two nets was happy to forward
  > mail to it's internal sites that originated from the other (after it got
  > sent to US and back) but the original network refused to forward mail to
  > it's internal sites that originated from the newer network.

  Correct. I will also make an example of what's currently going on
  now.  There's an EUnet node here (an i2unix one) which will be
  posting it's mail for USA and receive News from us. Anyone which can
  reach us, can go through our links (at least on SUBLINK).

  > Seems as though the original network has higher internal costs and wants
  > everyone to play with their ball and bat to help them recoup their costs.

  For sure EUnet has high costs. I asked about them , but i got no
  answer.  Probably the News traffic takes most of it. Personally, i
  don't agree with receiving news groups such as soc. and rec. and
  anything which is not related to The Art Of Computing Or Backboning
  (comp. news.).  Better, i'd like to receive them, sure, but since
  they cost too much money, let's forget them.

  The main problem is that - from my point of view - EUnet spends too
  much.  Costs are shared, but who can afford them? Few people. So
  there are 2 main categories of hosts on EUnet: rich sites (some of
  these very generous, which would support us for free, i.e. PAYING
  for OUR connections - but EUnet complains.) and normal sites, some
  of which are given the B.F.B.P.A.  ( Best Friend of the Backbone's
  Postmaster Award ) and pay nothing for EUnet, since their backbone
  simply charge the others..

  > I would think that if the newer net is indeed less expensive then the
  > situation will indeed sort itself out. Over time newer sites will connect to
  > the less expensive of the two nets and some sites will switch or connect to
  > both.

  NO. EUnet is a strong network; it works fine, except for costs. We
  cannot offer the same services, not now and not in the future. My
  personal wish is that someday EUcon will grow up, and allow <sub>
  sites which cannot afford EUnet to exchange mail all the same. There
  is a BIG difference among - say - i2ack and i2unix (no relationship
  among "i2": they claimed it was copyrighted but it was not, so i
  didn't change the name, what the hell): i2unix offers a fast and
  reliable mail service. It polls mcvax once every 30-60 minutes.  I
  poll pyramid 3 times a day. I don't care about receiving a letter
  one day later, and SUBLINK does not offer such efficiency. We point
  to the cheapest way of networking, within a decent result. This
  policy is just fine for some people, while for others it's not.

  This reminds me a conversation i had with a local EUnet postmaster
  (a woman) who ended up saying:

  " You said we can have a link, but how often do you poll USA ?"
  " ..well..3 times a day, it depends.."
  "Ah-ah! You see: i2unix polls mcvax once every hour!"
  " I know. But how often do YOU poll i2unix [ at 2400 baud via phone call ]?"
  "Once a night! It costs money! "

  Here, we have a good example of a problem of costs: this silly
  postmaster could have accepted my offer (no money..good offer i
  think!) but went for i2unix cause they have a better service. COURSE
  THEY HAVE! You pay 4 that!  So this node does not receive News. They
  cost too much. Stupid woman..  She was talking about a next domain
  for Italy ( .ita ), and did not realized that italy is out of the
  network right now. Did you ever see a message here coming from an
  italian site (not i2unix)?

  Its impossible. The only one i saw was on eunet.test (i read that in
  germany) some time ago. Very few nodes receive News in Italy; the
  total amount of nodes is 44 , many of which are FAKE nodes (DEAD
  hosts, or such..).  However i2unix did not think about taking only a
  few newsgroups, and leave the others for better times. They got them
  all.
  --
  Paolo Ventafridda     Via Ottoboni 6,20148 Milano - Italy      Tel.+392-4032432
  EUnet:blue@altger  EUcon:venta@i2ack   BANG:{pyramid,altger,tmpmbx}!i2ack!venta
  # This signature on i2unix costs 70 Lire (240 bytes); a phone call costs 80 L.#

  From: news@oresoft.uu.net (Randy Bush)
  Date: 26 Jan 89 17:33:25 GMT

  In article <56046@pyramid.pyramid.com> Carl S. Gutekunst writes:
  >These links are also fairly slow, which limits traffic in a practical sense.

  Interestingly, FidoNet (for which I run the netmail equialent of
  uunet) uses the ackless Zmodem streaming protocol, which is somewhat
  more efficient over X.25 links than uucp-g.  Originally, FidoNet was
  XModem, which was abyssmal; but, as the costs were coming out of
  individuals' pockets, the fix was quick.

  >Generally, dialup is not an effective alternative (more expensive and less
  >reliable), and TrailBlazers aren't legal.

  We have found dialup to NL or CH (at 2400 or PEP) to be as reliable
  as X.25, but, having no big corporate support, must use dial-up X.28
  to get to X.25.

  Telebits are approved in many European countries and in Australia.
  FidoNet uses Telebits (or Telebit clones such as Ventel's) quite
  heavily for overseas as well as intra-continental links.

  BTW, FidoNet is seriously testing the new lower-cost symmetric
  V.32s, as we are not addicted to the g-spoofing, and have a true
  full-duplex protocol (Janus) available which makes the puppies
  really scream.

  I am not in any way saying that FidoNet is better (or worse) than
  USENET.  I use both, and, in fact, gate between them.  Just trying
  to give some perspective from a net that uses different technology.
  --
  {mcvax!uunet,tektronix,reed,sun!nosun}!oresoft!news (Randy Bush)

  From: venta@i2ack.UUCP (Paolo Ventafridda)
  Subject: Re: Map for i2ack
  Date: 26 Jan 89 19:25:47 GMT

  In article <7075@mailgw.cc.umich.edu>, emv@a.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

  > well, then, you'd need an alternative map coordinator for italy.
  > collect all the site information and ship off the map to rutgers,
  > and see if Mel will publish it.
  > Now I don't see i2ack in the pyramid map, so I can't get there
  > from here automatically, but I'll put that in my local paths file
  > and be done with it.  Then there's the small matter of getting
  > maps for all of i2ack's attached sites....

  As in the signature, i am the actual map coordinator. Since we are
  receiving these days a lot of subscriptions, i am just waiting for a
  definite situation.  I posted my map here just to let it go around a
  bit; i know i need to send it to rutgers, but until things are fixed
  here i won't. For instance, i2ack is now being replaced as a News
  Feed by "deejay", the main sponsor for SUBlink, and the only one
  with a Trailblazer Plus: our 3 Trailblazer T1000 won't get here
  before some time. Also on international calls, the Telebit performs
  pretty well, i.e. around 7000 bit/s using g proto. With f proto it
  should go much faster. Probably we could approach 10000 ( not a so
  bad line..).  Let's consider the slowest speed (7000): last night
  the average transfer rate was around 80 seconds for 50+ Kbytes. On
  Itapac - according to what I2unix told me - this would cost 300 Lire
  for each K = 15000 Lire.  Our transfer did not cost more that 2700.
  If we were using f proto, i think we could gain the 2000< limit.
  This means anyway from 5 to 7 times cheaper transfers.

  As far as A.Berni (postmaster@i2unix), mcvax DOES HAVE a Trailblazer
  too!  So..PTT is the real problem? Lets face it. We are talking
  about lowering down costs 5-7 .

  If all of this mess i caused on EUnet will bring the network to use
  faster connections and lower down prices, i won't care too much of
  mail rejection.  Cause i will afford paying eunet and being an
  official european site.

  Greets, Paolo

  --
  Paolo Ventafridda     Via Ottoboni 6,20148 Milano - Italy      Tel.+392-4032432
  EUnet:blue@altger  EUcon:venta@i2ack   BANG:{pyramid,altger,tmpmbx}!i2ack!venta
  SUBLINK Maps & Network management , Italy \/  "Please don't shoot the Operator"

  From: venta@i2ack.UUCP (Paolo Ventafridda)
  Date: 29 Jan 89 20:42:58 GMT

  In article <967@acer.stl.stc.co.uk>, dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
  > In article <1989Jan23.183420.7803@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
  >
  > I think the i2ack problem is
  > that the Italian gateway i2unix that he would have used if he were not
  > 'independant' wanted to make very high charges (maybe they don't have
  > many users, so their costs per user are very high? So they don't have
  > many users...?  I don't know why really, this is just a guess).

  They don't have users nor sites. Have a look at the map and try
  calling the #E people, like i did. Actually, the .it domain is a
  dozen of systems.  Many of them, cannot call X.25 (if they call
  through X.28, i2unix's pad won't work - its buggy); so they call
  through phone line.  I2unix has 2 phone port, one of which is a 2400
  baud line.  A friend of us - EUnet registered on i2unix - told us he
  simply cant poll i2unix because line is always busy!  Anyway, a long
  distance call to i2unix is just the same as calling abroad.  In
  November i2unix proposed to the i2net community to buy Trailbalzer
  modems.  Since not everybody agreed (they *cost money), still they
  go at 2400.

  > I understand that there are THREE sites in Italy which want to be considered
  > the Italian Gateway, and that all three claim the right to the .it domain.

  really, who's the third? don't tell me its the OLD italian backbone
  (delphi)!  I am curious on this, and anyway, the problem of .it
  domain is a real one.  Let's try thinking in these terms: if we
  (sublink) want to be registered on Usenet as legitimate italian
  network, what domain should we apply for?

  > I can believe that - it's typical Italy!   Italy is a lovely place, good food,
  > nice people, but it's also DIFFERENT in ways that can really confuse the rest
  > of us!

  (thanks for food etc.) - but we are not confusing anyone: until now,
  i didn't send any map to rutgers, and i won't until we'll be ready
  to. We are all discussing in news.sysadmin, and i believe this is
  the best place to get opinions, suggestions etc. BEFORE doing
  anything.

  > (Actually it never was in Italy - they have dozens of 'phone companies there,
  > though most are very small and local).

  Uhm. The Only Phone Company here is SIP (aaargh). No Other Phone
  Companies.

  > So can you use a Trailblazer in Europe?   Depends on which country you are
  > in.   I think they are legal here now (UK), they aren't in Germany, and I
  > doubt anyone cares in Italy.

  Well, in a big city like Rome usually you wait for 1 year to get
  your own phone (at home). SIP is working quite hard right now, i
  understand they are trying their best, but i think for too much time
  they sat looking around and talking of the future..

  > In most of Europe, we haven't even noticed the existance of
  > Eucon.   As far as I know it is an Italian problem, though because traffic
  > to America etc. goes via other European backbone sites, they are involved too.

  Eucon is a recent thing. But if you talk about Italy, use < Sublink >.

  > I do think it's sad if a (very small) group of European
  > sites do this, though, as it causes confusion all round.    It would be better
  > if they would make their own links into the Eunet too, and pay their share -
  > I'm sure they could find a more reasonable feed if they tried, even if
  > perhaps not in Italy.

  HEY I TRIED THAT. I CALLED UNIDO ASKING FOR AN ACCESS. AND MCVAX
  SAID THAT UNTIL I2UNIX SAYS "OK" WE ARE LOCKED TO THE ITALIAN
  BACKBONE.

  > our Italian friend uses an account (blue) at altger (a German site on the
  > EUnet), so presumably he cannot find an Italian public access site.

  SUBLINK offers public access sites for free. No other public
  accesses are available in italy. And i tell you, there's a *lot of
  people which really enjoyed getting a Usenet address.

  > Perhaps what he should really do is set one up, and get enough users
  > to spread those high connection charges, rather than try and start a
  > new net, bringing confusion to both Europe and America.

  NO. Until we'll get a subscription to i2unix WITHOUT paying those
  RIDICOLOUS yearly 6000+$ we won't EVER register EUnet. Do you
  realize that - aside the subscription - one has to pay for:

  1) it's own transmission costs. And calling i2unix is a LONG
  distance call. And at 2400 like that, getting news costs too much.
  2) it's mail trafic (0.25$ for 1024 bytes).

  This kind of costs is fine for big companies or for winners
  B.F.B.P.A.  As i2unix declared: " We are not interested in supporting
  small sites ".  That's it. SUBLINK is made of small sites, and as
  soon as we reach the needed number, we'll start asking for our own
  domain, you bet it.

  From: mike@krondor.UUCP (Mike Hoffmann)
  Subject: Re: An apology, and a question (about uucp in Germany)
  Date: 22 Jun 89 20:16:34 GMT

  In article <786@redsox.bsw.com> campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:
  >Recently a student in Germany posted a "Hello, anyone out there, please
  >post if you can hear me, because receiving mail costs me money" message
  >to alt.sources.
  >I flamed him (although mildly, I thought at the time) for causing such
  >a waste of net bandwidth.
  >Apparently he took the flame very personally and was hurt.  For that,
  >I apologize.

  There is absolutly NO need to appologize, I know him personally, and
  he is an idiot. What he did went beyond normal human ignorance or even
  stupidity. (I hope he reads this, but I might have some additional
  words for him, when I next see him)

  >Now, my question (and I'd prefer to get answers only from people in Germany,
  >who know, rather than people in the US, who are guessing).  What is going on

  I am german. :-) Looks like I'm in a flaming mood. :-) So here goes:

  >in Germany that makes getting a news feed so unbelievably expensive?  I am
  >I really don't understand this.  Who do you have to pay the $200 to?

  Neither do I! The german backbone is "unido" that is the University
  of Dortmund. They *charge* that amount of money! Simple phone
  transfer costs are *not* included. What they charge that for,
  especially considering the number of links they feed, is beyond me,
  and anyone I asked.  We tried to find some terms of agreement that
  would give us ("us" is the Sub-Net, a loose connection of private
  netnews-sites) cheaper rates.  This path has somehow ended in
  bureaucratic bog.

  >In the US, you just find a local Usenet site with a friendly system
  >administrator and set up a uucp link.  If it's a local call, it's free.
  >What prevents you from doing that in Germany?  Even if local calls
  >aren't free, $200/month seems hard to believe (I suspect that, with
  >decent modems, I could get a full feed from California for less than
  >that, at night time rates).

  Well, we even tried polling a US site directly! But sadly, site
  boulder doesn't appear to be very stable, though I had thought it to
  be an Internet-backbone. Tight budget calculation showed, that with
  present unido prices, we would go much less expensive by paying the
  plane, but direct trans-atlantic rates.

  >I could maybe understand people chipping in to defray the costs of the
  >transatlantic traffic, but $200 per month per site??  There are presently
  >235 sites listed in the German uucp map;  $200 x 235 = $47,000, and I
  >can NOT believe that it costs $47,000 per month just to get Usenet
  >traffic across the ocean!!

  You exactly got the point... :-( *Noone* can tell me it costs that
  much. Even if not all poll unido directly. A cost-distribution
  system would make it almost free for everyone. unido claims that
  they have administrational problems to do so, and I'm almost
  inclined to believe them, as german bureaucracy in the educational
  area is unbelievable.

  I post this, though I don't really expect it to go out. So I will
  mail it as well.

  I think I accumulated enough new enemies for now!

  Cheers
  Mike
  --
  Mike Hoffmann       !   It's difficult to soar with Eagles
  Fasangartenstr. 102 !   When you have to work with Turkeys

  From: dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright)
  Date: 24 Jun 89 09:41:27 GMT

  To those who wonder why news is so expensive in many European
  countries, I suggest you print off the postscript news distribution
  maps that Brian Ried has posted in news.lists.  You will see that
  many countries have very few news sites (and many sites have mail
  but not news).  It costs $$$$ to bring news across the Atlantic, but
  that cost is spread over many sites.  Unfortunately it also costs
  $$$ to transport news across national boundaries, and where there
  are only a few sites to share this cost, plus the costs of the
  national backbone site, news is expensive.  Because it is expensive,
  few sites participate, and so it stays expensive.

  The EUUG subsidises the Eunet to some extent, but most costs have to
  be paid by the participating sites.  There is some hope of government
  subsidy in the future (the CEC may pay for a fast European network),
  which would put us in a similar position to much of the US (though
  with civil rather than military funding), but at present the user
  must pay.

  Some posters have suggested that European sites should 'get a
  Trailblazer and import news directly'.  Well, TB's would help, so
  lots of us are getting them (UKUUG has negociated a discount on
  them, as have some other national UUG's), but are not *that* magic.
  A news feed from the US of all technical groups - leaving out all
  talk and most rec as at present in Europe - would cost about $50,000
  per year in transmission costs over IPSS (X.25), but only about
  $10,000 via Trailblazer.  Would you pay $10K for news?  Some would,
  but not many.

  So we have to club together to cover transmission costs to our
  national backbones.  We also have to pay for the associated computer
  and staff costs -- most Eunet backbone sites are universities, and
  being both non-profitmaking and also less well endowed than many US
  universities they cannot absorb the cost of providing a service to
  lots of other establishments that are not directly associated, (why
  should the University of Kent (ukc) subsidise STC or University
  Dortmund (unido) subsidise netmbx?  Explain your reasons using not
  more than 5000 words.  Your paper will be marked by the University's
  auditors).

  Some sites declare 'UDI' - good luck to them.  If they make all their
  own arrangements to deliver and pick up their mail, they incur no
  costs on the rest of us.  But in practice this is very difficult,
  and so such sites find they do need to use the Eunet, and thus
  cannot avoid a duty to share its costs.

  I should point out that most sites in Europe work in the same way as
  in the USA - we pass on news/mail to other sites without charge, on
  a 'you call us' basis, accepting the costs we incurr in managing a
  news/mail feed to others as a fair exchange for the same boon others
  give us.  But this cannot apply to the backbone sites that move news
  across international boundaries: such costs do not balance out.

  In the UK we are lucky - with over 400 sites on the UK net, news
  costs per site are reasonable.  Volume is so high that ukc now has a
  leased line to mcvax (which as you may know has a fast leased line
  to uunet).  The actual mail costs per kByte have reduced
  considerably as a result.  But we still have some problems here with
  mail costs.  Ukc makes no charge for handling mail within the UK
  (except for a quarterly subscription to commercial sites), but they
  do pass on their communications costs of 2 pence (about 3 cents) per
  kbyte for international mail.  Some sites decide they cannot pay
  this, so ukc reject international mail to/from them.  They may
  appear in UK maps, and receive UK mail OK, but foreign mail is
  bounced:  this can be very confusing to the foreign senders!  If
  anyone has any suggestions on how else to deal with this, other than
  that those who do pay should subsidise those who won't, I'm sure
  we'd like to hear them.

  Even in the UK the subscription cost of a news feed ($50 per month),
  very reasonable for any commercial organisation, is too much for
  someone trying to get their own news feed to their own home computer,
  and I understand it is higher in Germany.  Such people could sign up
  with a public access site, and read news there instead of trying to
  get it all on their own machine.  In Germany, netmbx (Berlin) offers
  very reasonable rates for news reading (plus a little more if you
  post).  I do not know which news groups netmbx gets.  Mail me if you
  want their PSS number.  I regret that I do not know a UK public
  access site, though I believe they exist.

  --
  Regar