[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] FTP's version of idrive - Deleting overlong files from DOS

ian@unipalm.uucp (Ian Phillipps) (02/08/91)

rb@bjcong.bj.co.uk (RICHARD BAILEY) writes:

Hello Richard!

>We are currently using FTP's version of NFS (idrive v1.1)

>When attempting to delete files over NFS which are greater than the DOS
>8.3 maximum file format, the command fails with the error "Access denied".

>Is there any work around for this?

Yes, I've just discovered one.
creating a file "verylongvilename" - appeared as VERYL~04.

The command DEL VERYL~04 will fail, but DEL VERYL* will work.
If deleting from a program, remember that this uses the DOS 1 (FCB) version
of delete, not the DOS 2+ version using handles.

I suggest that if you want to use DOS, don't use filenames that long.
I won't suggest you don't use DOS, because you might not buy any more
Interdrive from us :-)