From: Gonzalo Romero <GROMERO%ANDESCOL.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu>
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 91 22:25:12 COL
Subject:      Re:  DNS help
To: Luigi Rizzo <lr@cs.brown.edu>

Dr. Rizzo:

Thank you anyway for your answer.  We are really new on it, as you
can look with our questions.  We just have by now a bitnet link
for contact you, for example.  We have a local network over an
ethernet cable, running full TCP/IP protocols, and in it, we
have a local decnet with a VMS machine, about five ULTRIX's,
2 IBM RT's, and an IBM PS/2 model 80 with AIX, in which we have put
the Name Server because, according to the TCP/IP 1.1 manuals, it
supports the MX records.

We would appreciate so much if you can put our question on any
list or discussion group, because I have put it on several ones,
but I haven't received an answer that can help us to solve the
trouble.

Here is the "/etc/named.*" files of our NameServer:

The fist one is the NAMED.DATA file:

;$ORIGIN uniandes.edu.co
;
@  IN  SOA  rtterm.uniandes.edu.co. hsin.andescol.uniandes.edu.co. (
                                    910201
                                    1800
                                    300
                                    604800
                                    86400   )
   IN  NS   rtterm.uniandes.edu.co.
;
localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
andescol IN A  128.1.1.1
andesu6k IN A  128.1.1.54
hugosin  IN A  128.1.1.101
vmsing   IN A  128.1.25.1
ultrix   IN A  128.1.25.2
dfac1 	 IN A  128.1.25.3
dfac2 	 IN A  128.1.25.4
dfac3 	 IN A  128.1.25.5
pegasus  IN A  128.1.25.6
tribm 	 IN A  128.2.1.1
rtterm 	 IN A  128.2.1.51
rtgraf 	 IN A  128.2.1.52
aixps2 	 IN A  128.2.1.53
;
andescol.uniandes.edu.co IN CNAME  andescol
andesu6k.uniandes.edu.co IN CNAME  andesu6k
hugosin.uniandes.edu.co  IN CNAME  hugosin
vmsing.uniandes.edu.co   IN CNAME  vmsing
ultrix.uniandes.edu.co   IN CNAME  ultrix
dfac1.uniandes.edu.co    IN CNAME  dfac1
dfac2.uniandes.edu.co 	  IN CNAME  dfac2
dfac3.uniandes.edu.co 	  IN CNAME  dfac3
pegasus.uniandes.edu.co  IN CNAME  pegasus
rtterm.uniandes.edu.co   IN CNAME  rtterm
rtgraf.uniandes.edu.co   IN CNAME  rtgraf
aixps2.uniandes.edu.co   IN CNAME  aixps2
mredadm.uniandes.edu.co  IN CNAME  mredadm
predadm.uniandes.edu.co  IN CNAME  predadm
;
predadm    IN   A   128.1.11.65
           IN   MX  10   predadm
mredadm    IN   MX  10   predadm

Now the following is the "named.boot" file:

domain   uniandes.edu.co
primary  uniandes.edu.co          /etc/named.data
primary         in-addr.arpa      /etc/named.rev

The 3rd file is "named.rev" :

  9999999 IN NS aixps2.uniandes.edu.co.
;
$ORIGIN         128.in-addr.arpa
1.1.1.    IN PTR  andescol
54.1.1    IN PTR  andesu6k
101.1.1   IN PTR  hugosin
1.25.1    IN PTR  vmsing
2.25.1    IN PTR  ultrix
3.25.1    IN PTR  dfac1
4.25.1    IN PTR  dfac2
5.25.1    IN PTR  dfac3
6.25.1    IN PTR  pegasus
51.1.2    IN PTR  rtterm
52.1.2    IN PTR  rtgraf
53.1.2    IN PTR  aixps2
65.11.1   IN PTR  predadm

Now, this is the "resolv.conf" file (the last file we "have" in account:)

domain  uniandes.edu.co
nameserver 128.2.1.53

As you can look, this is the files we have looked during weeks (!),
but nothing, nothing runs ok with the MX definitions:

When I send a mail from any host on the network to a user on
MREDADM (the only MX record defined on our configuration!), for
example, from the ANDESCOL machine (an IBM 9377-90 with VM/5):

Mail Gonzalo_Romero@mredadm.uniandes.edu.co

the mail returns automatically from the mailer saying:

Host MREDADM unknown (!)

Now, when you try to PING any machine on the network, you receive
the resolution correctly (any A record definition runs
OK, but the only MX don't !), and the ping responds OK.

We also looked at the "sendmail.cf" file but it don't says
anything about MX records or something like it (anymore, the
code of this file is almost unreadeable, at least for me!)

I really thank you in advance,

Gonzalo Romero
ANDESCOL PostMaster

P.S.: Gracias a personas como ud., las redes son como son.
      Muchas gracias por su ayuda y su interes en colaborarnos
      en bien de solucionar nuestra noble causa.  Disculpenos
      cualquier molestia que le hayamos podido ocasionar