[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Domain .NA

thorinn@RIMFAXE.DIKU.DK (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) (03/02/91)

According to the ISO 3166 list once posted here, NA is:

	Namibia				NA	NAM	516

However, the root servers give NXDOMAIN for NA, so your address can't
have been a working Internet one. UUCP perhaps?

--
Lars Mathiesen, DIKU, U of Copenhagen, Denmark      [uunet!]mcsun!diku!thorinn
Institute of Datalogy -- we're scientists, not engineers.      thorinn@diku.dk

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (03/04/91)

In article <9103021535.AA09219@rimfaxe.diku.dk> thorinn@RIMFAXE.DIKU.DK
(Lars Henrik Mathiesen) writes, about a "domain" address ending in .NA:
>According to the ISO 3166 list once posted here, NA is:
>	Namibia				NA	NAM	516
>However, the root servers give NXDOMAIN for NA, so your address can't
>have been a working Internet one. UUCP perhaps?

Probably an amateur packet radio address. I'll bet it's something like
KA5KTH@#HOU.TX.US.NA or so...the last three parts describe the state or
province, country, and continent. These addresses are not reachable from
the Internet, due at least in part to content restrictions on amateur
radio far tighter than the Internet ever thought about having.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

revell@uunet.UU.NET (James R Revell Jr) (03/05/91)

} According to the ISO 3166 list once posted here, NA is:
} 	Namibia				NA	NAM	516
} However, the root servers give NXDOMAIN for NA, so your address can't
} have been a working Internet one. UUCP perhaps?

I remember receiving a request from a professor at some university in
Namibia to help setup NA a few months back.  I sent him some info and
replied to a few of his questions about domains but I never heard back
from him after that.
--
James Revell   sr uunet postmaster   <revell@uunet.uu.net>   /8^{~