[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] BIND problem with "sparse" MX records

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (03/07/91)

I had the following MXes in the primary record for domain sub.org:

foo.bar	MX 90    some.forwarder
*	MX 100   some.other.forwarder

Now I fire up nslookup and do the following:
> set typ=mx
> xyzzy.sub.org
  [ found some.other.forwarder ]
> foo.bar.sub.org
  [ found some.forwarder ]

So far so good. However,

> bar.sub.org
  [ problem - host not found ]
> plugh.bar.sub.org
  [ problem - no information ]

What gives?

NB: The descriptions are from memory, but essentially correct (I think).
    Since the practical effect of all this is that nobody can send any mail to
    anybody.bar.sub.org (if anybody != foo), it's not a problem with nslookup.

Workaround: Add explicit MXes for bar.sub.org and *.bar.sub.org, pointing to
            some.other.forwarder.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

thorinn@RIMFAXE.DIKU.DK (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) (03/07/91)

   From: smurf!urlichs@ira.uka.de  (Matthias Urlichs)

   I had the following MXes in the primary record for domain sub.org:

   foo.bar	MX 90    some.forwarder
   *	MX 100   some.other.forwarder

   > bar.sub.org
     [ problem - host not found ]
   > plugh.bar.sub.org
     [ problem - no information ]

   What gives?

From RFC 1034 (Domain Concepts and Facilities):

     Wildcard RRs do not apply:

	- When the query name or a name between the wildcard domain and
	  the query name is know to exist.

So your nameserver does what it's supposed to. (It's not a bug, it's a
feature :-).

   Workaround: Add explicit MXes for bar.sub.org and *.bar.sub.org, pointing to
	       some.other.forwarder.

Well, that's life.

--
Lars Mathiesen, DIKU, U of Copenhagen, Denmark      [uunet!]mcsun!diku!thorinn
Institute of Datalogy -- we're scientists, not engineers.      thorinn@diku.dk

onoe@sm.sony.co.jp (Atsushi Onoe) (03/12/91)

In article <"1f[h2.1$8@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:

> I had the following MXes in the primary record for domain sub.org:
>
> foo.bar	MX 90    some.forwarder
> *	MX 100   some.other.forwarder

There needs more two entries as follows,

bar	MX 100	some.other.forwarder
*.bar	MX 100	some.other.forwarder

The domain bar.sub.org has no records, but the label exists.  So the
name bar.sub.org or plugh.bar.sub.org cannot match to *.bar.sub.org
--
Atsushi Onoe	<onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
    Workstation Div., Supermicro Systems Group, Sony Corporation