[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] EDU. bogons

mib@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (04/03/91)

Life.ai.mit.edu has been infested with the edu. bogons recently.

This is the only record it had for edu. in its cache:

edu	95762	IN	NS	ADMIN.JSUMS.EDU.

Whoever was kind enough to present us with this record didn't give us
an A record for admin.jsums.edu, so edu names could no longer be
resolved.

Right after I restarted life's nameserver, albert.gnu.ai.mit.edu got
infected.  This one it had all the correct edu records as well as the
bogon.  This had the amusing result of causing many requests to fail
and nslookup to dump core (neat, huh?).

Admin.jsums.edu is 143.132.1.5.  I wanted to see what the nameserver
there had, but it doesn't respond, and jsums.edu (143.132.1.3) gets
huge numbers of replies per ping sent, looks like TOPS-10 when I
connected with telnet, and doesn't have a responding nameserver.

I hope this helps the people who are dealing with this to find the
source of the bogons.  Sigh.

	-mib

oleary@noc.sura.net (dave o'leary) (04/04/91)

In article <MIB.91Apr3121950@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu> mib@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) writes:

>Life.ai.mit.edu has been infested with the edu. bogons recently.

 [stuff about MIT infections deleted....]

>I hope this helps the people who are dealing with this to find the
>source of the bogons.  Sigh.
>
>	-mib

The machine admin.jsums.edu has had name service turned off for at
least a couple of days now.  I don't know if there are any other
name servers currently running at JSU.  At this point it should
only be a matter of all the caches timing out, unless somebody
somewhere else has a bind misconfiguration that resets the expire
to a high value again or something.

How about everybody restart all the name servers Friday at midnight
or something?  :-)

						dave