[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Who may register in the .org domain?

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (04/18/91)

In article <129382@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:

   The ORG domain is for non-profit, (IRS) 501-C3 organizations.  The
   501-C3 is some IRS rule & regulation.  You actually have to register
   with the IRS to be a 501-C3 organization.

Interesting.  Do you have the appropriate chapter and verse of the NIC
guidelines that recommends this treatment?  (I presume all existing
.org's will be grandfathered in.)  Existing practice has allowed
unincorporated entities like the "Michigan Unix Users Group" to set up
mail park domains and share service costs among the membership; I
would hope that NIC rules would not outlaw these "mail parks" or force
all such organizations to register each of their individual members in
the .US domain.

   We are running a service that will register domains for UUCP sites (and
   provide a nameserver for that domain).  We basically check the form
   over, set up the nameservers, and forward the domain registration form
   to the NIC to be processed & registered.

   So, if you are a non-profit, 501-C3 uucp site, then you can register
   with uunet for my.OWN.ORG.

Let's make this clear; these non-profit sites are registering with the
NIC, and that process is free (modulo the trauma of figuring out the
paperwork).  They are also paying uunet some small, reasonable fee (is
it still $35?) for running the .OWN.ORG name server.  UUNET does not
have an exclusive on this service -- some internet sites if you ask
them kindly will run your name server for you, and no doubt in the
fullness of time other internet service providers will offer similar
registration setups.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

"With all of the attention and publicity focused on gigabit networks,
not much notice has been given to small and largely unfunded research
efforts which are studying innovative approaches for dealing with
technical issues within the constraints of economic science."
							RFC 1216

louie@SAYSHELL.UMD.EDU ("Louis A. Mamakos") (04/18/91)

> Interesting.  Do you have the appropriate chapter and verse of the NIC
> guidelines that recommends this treatment?  (I presume all existing
> .org's will be grandfathered in.)  Existing practice has allowed
> unincorporated entities like the "Michigan Unix Users Group" to set up
> mail park domains and share service costs among the membership; I
> would hope that NIC rules would not outlaw these "mail parks" or force
> all such organizations to register each of their individual members in
> the .US domain.

One problem with registering under the .US domain is that the folks
that run it will not delagate subdomains to other servers.  This
leaves those of us that want a piece of the namespace delagated to our
own server(s) little choice but to consider .ORG when we are not a
commercial enterprise.

How do I register my computers at home to a server that I have control
over?

louie