[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] DNS not working for ftp?

mallard@arc.ab.ca (Derek Mallard) (05/24/91)

Looks like this is the right group for this, let me know if not.

We have recently assumed authority for our domain, arc.ab.ca and *.arc.ab.ca.
I had thought that doing so would have allowed us to ftp to sites that
had in the past refused us access since we were not recognized.
Unfortunately it made no difference that I can see. ;-(
One site that still refuses us is atari.archive.umich.edu.
Can any body suggest what might be the problem?

Here are the entries in our named host file on arcsun.
Followed by the entry for us at relay.cdnnet.ca since they
are the people advertising the NS record for us.

;	ARC.AB.CA sub-domain hosts
;
@		IN	SOA	arcsun.arc.ab.ca.	mallard.arc.ab.ca. (
				9105161		; rev level
				21600		; refresh time - 6 hr
				3600		; retry - 60 min
				604800		; expire - 1 wk
				43200 )		; minimum - 12 hr
		IN	NS	arcsun.arc.ab.ca.
		IN	NS	eureka.arc.ab.ca.

; mail exchanger
; RELAY.CDNNET.CA WILL CONTINUE HANDLING OUR MAIL
arc.ab.ca.	IN	MX	30	relay.cdnnet.ca.
*.arc.ab.ca.	IN	MX	30	relay.cdnnet.ca.
;
arcsun		IN	A	128.144.1.3		; Sun 3/180
arcsun		IN	MX	30	relay.cdnnet.ca.
;
eureka		IN	A	128.144.50.22		; Sparcstation 1
eureka		IN	MX	30	relay.cdnnet.ca.
;
Now the entries for us at relay.cdnnet.ca

; Alberta Research Council
;arc.ab			IN	MX	10	relay.cdnnet.ca.
;*.arc.ab		IN	MX	10	relay.cdnnet.ca.
arc.ab			IN	NS	arcsun.arc.ab.ca.
arc.ab			IN	NS	eureka.arc.ab.ca.
arcsun.arc.ab		IN	A	128.144.1.3
eureka.arc.ab		IN	A	128.144.50.22

Thanks ahead for any help forthcoming.

Derek Mallard
mallard@arc.ab.ca
Contracted to Alberta Research Council

skl@wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.215801.25117@arc.ab.ca>, mallard@arc.ab.ca
 (Derek Mallard) wrote:
>We have recently assumed authority for our domain, arc.ab.ca and *.arc.ab.ca.
>I had thought that doing so would have allowed us to ftp to sites that
>had in the past refused us access since we were not recognized.
>Unfortunately it made no difference that I can see. ;-(
>Can any body suggest what might be the problem?

Yes.  You need to setup the reverse lookup mappings for your
machines in your reverse zone (144.128.in-addr.arpa) as well.

You should first setup that zone in a similar manner to how
you setup your forward zone (arc.ab.ca), then contact
<hostmaster@nic.ddn.mil> to have the 144.128.in-addr.arpa (note
it's not 128.144.in-addr.arpa, the reversal is normal) zone
delegated to you.

Let me know if you need sample named files for setting up
your reverse zone.

Once you have your reverse zone established, those remote FTP sites
which have been rejecting your calls would start accepting them.

...Sam
--
<skl@wimsey.bc.ca>

jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.215801.25117@arc.ab.ca> mallard@arc.ab.ca (Derek Mallard) writes:
>Looks like this is the right group for this, let me know if not.
>
>We have recently assumed authority for our domain, arc.ab.ca and *.arc.ab.ca.
>I had thought that doing so would have allowed us to ftp to sites that
>had in the past refused us access since we were not recognized.
>Unfortunately it made no difference that I can see. ;-(
>One site that still refuses us is atari.archive.umich.edu.
>Can any body suggest what might be the problem?

Some ftp servers try to look up a host name from an IP address.
I guess that this is to stop people with bogus addresses ftping into
the site. It is a problem, though, as I have had occurrences where some
problem out of our control has stopped reverse name lookups, but the
host to destination path still works.

According to the nic, you do not have any reverse name mapping servers
for your network, thus requests to translate ip addresses into valid
host names will not work.

If you have reverse name servers for your network, tell the nic
that you have such.

The authority for your network is:

> telnet nic.ddn.mil
Trying...
Connected to nic.ddn.mil.
Escape character is '^]'.
*  -- DDN Network Information Center --
*
*  For TAC news, type:                    TACNEWS <return>
*  For user and host information, type:   WHOIS <return>
*  For NIC information, type:             NIC <return>
*
*  For user assistance call (800) 235-3155 or (415) 859-3695
*  Report system problems to ACTION@NIC.DDN.MIL or call (415) 859-5921

 SRI-NIC, TOPS-20 Monitor 7(21245)-4
@whois
SRI-NIC WHOIS 3.5(1090)-1 on Fri, 24 May 91 06:56:07 PDT, load 4.33
  Enter a handle, name, mailbox, or other field, optionally preceded
  by a keyword, like "host sri-nic".  Type "?" for short, 2-page
  details, "HELP" for full documentation, or hit RETURN to exit.
---> Do ^E to show search progress, ^G to abort a search or output <---
Whois: net 128.144
Alberta Research Council (NET-ARC-ALBERTA)
   Information Systems Department
   250 Karl Clark Road
   P.O. Box 8330, Postal Station F
   Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5X2
   CANADA

   NetName: ARCNET
   NetNumber: 128.144.0.0

   Coordinator:
      Tse, Steve  (TS194)  TSE@ARC.AB.CA
      (403) 450-5187

   Record last updated on 03-Jan-91.

   No hosts found on this network.

John Stewart
jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca

spgdrp@GANGES.UCOP.EDU ("Donald R. Proctor spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu") (05/25/91)

  Looks like this is the right group for this, let me know if not.

  We have recently assumed authority for our domain, arc.ab.ca and *.arc.ab.ca.
  I had thought that doing so would have allowed us to ftp to sites that
  had in the past refused us access since we were not recognized.
  Unfortunately it made no difference that I can see. ;-(
  One site that still refuses us is atari.archive.umich.edu.
  Can any body suggest what might be the problem?

Derek,

You probably also need authority for your in-addr.arpa domain.  RFC
1035 should be helpful for this.  You can send mail to hostmaster@
nic.ddn.mil to find out how to become authoritative for your
in-addr.arpa domain.

Good luck, Don.

Donald R. Proctor			<spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu>
University of California		415/987-0356