[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] zone transfer

andrew@bnr.co.uk (Andrew Macpherson) (06/02/91)

Earlier this year Don Lewis (I think) posted a patch to BIND 4.8.3 to
lose incorrect glue records, and those records which persist long after
their entries in the master files have been deleted.

Does anyone still have it handy?  I now find that I should have saved it as
it went past...

Thanks.

PS.  As someone remarked in this newsgroup recently:  There have been rather
a lot of patches to 4.8.3, is there a canonical set?  In fact is there a new
merged release due?
--
Andrew.Macpherson@bnr.co.uk   --   PSI%234237100122::Andrew.Macpherson
"There is nothing quite so worthwhile as simply messing about in boats"

jcurran@SH.CS.NET (John Curran) (06/03/91)

> Earlier this year Don Lewis (I think) posted a patch to BIND 4.8.3 to
> lose incorrect glue records, and those records which persist long after
> their entries in the master files have been deleted.

Very nice patch.  I'm running it on 3 nameservers with 300+ zones.

> Does anyone still have it handy?  I now find that I should have saved it as
> it went past...

I just put a copy out on nic.near.net as /pub/bind.4.8.3.del.diff.
The only change I would make is if you run with LAME_DELEGATION defined,
then you may want to change the syslog call to LOG_INFO so that you can
readily lose the messages via syslog. (it's LOG_NOTICE in the patch)

> PS.  As someone remarked in this newsgroup recently:  There have been rather
> a lot of patches to 4.8.3, is there a canonical set?  In fact is there a new
> merged release due?

I like these questions..  any takers?

/John

he@idt.unit.no (06/12/91)

In article <9106021816.AA10192@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jcurran@SH.CS.NET (John Curran) writes:
>> PS.  As someone remarked in this newsgroup recently:  There have been rather
>> a lot of patches to 4.8.3, is there a canonical set?  In fact is there a new
>> merged release due?
>
>I like these questions..  any takers?

Well... I have stored the patch from Don Lewis along with some other patches
to 4.8.3 (some originating from the U of Michigan 4.8.1 version, eg. query
logging). These patches/fixes may be fetched with anonymous ftp from
ugle.unit.no in the pub/unix/network/bind-fixes/ directory along with the
changes I had to make to be able to compile BIND 4.8.3 on SunOS. The files
contain "diff -c2" output, readily perusable for "patch". The README file
from that directory follows below. If you have additional fixes/patches I
may put them in the same spot if you send them to me (but do not expect
lightning fast response...)

- Havard

--------------- README from ugle.unit.no:/pub/unix/network/bind-fixes/

This directory contains fixes and local adaptions of BIND.  These
fixes so far only allow "clean" compilation in the res/ and named/ sub-
directories of BIND.

Current contents:

dnsstats        Script to make a summary of the logs produced by fix.7

fix.1           Omits (most) redundant glue records in zone transfers
fix.2           Does away with some "Malformed response" errors
fix.3           Fix to secondary name server to ignore non-authoritative glue
fix.4           Close query listen sockets before starting zone transfer
fix.5           Allow installer to choose logging facility in Makefile
fix.6           Supply the missing newvers.sh shell script
fix.7           Add possibility to log all queries with syslog
fix.8           Fixes an error in fix.3 (only compare complete subdomains)

port-sunos.1    Changes and additions done locally to "port" BIND to SunOS 4.x.
                (Includes use of GNU Malloc, perror.c from BSD, Makefile
                changes etc.) The version number is incremented each time some
                new additions are made to this file.