[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] naming of K-12 school districts

dsmith@xylem.uoregon.edu (Dale Smith) (06/15/91)

We are setting up some back-door connections for local K-12 schools.
I'm really unsure as to what I should do about naming for them.  It
seems that schools are so commonly named that there will just be
too many jefferson.edu's to make any sense of the matter.  Any ideas
out there on a nice scheme?

Thanks,

Dale Smith, Assistant Director of Network Services
University of Oregon		Internet: dsmith@ns.uoregon.edu
Computing Center		BITNET: dsmith@oregon.bitnet
Eugene, OR  97403-1212		Voice:503-346-1745  FAX:503-346-4397

swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) (06/15/91)

dsmith> We are setting up some back-door connections for local K-12
dsmith> schools.  I'm really unsure as to what I should do about
dsmith> naming for them.  It seems that schools are so commonly named
dsmith> that there will just be too many jefferson.edu's to make any
dsmith> sense of the matter.  Any ideas out there on a nice scheme?

dsmith> Thanks,

Here's an idea - assuming that there are not multiple "jefferson"
schools in one town, you could do something like
jefferson.city_code.edu where city_code is the code that is used by
the weather service to identify towns (also used, in some casses, to
identify airports).  For instance, Central High School in Omaha, NE
would be named central.oma.edu

	Regards,
	-=Chris

--
 Chris Swanson, C.U. CS/Pre-med Student, 1502 N. 59 st., Omaha, NE  68104-4830
 DDN: [CDS6]   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") (06/16/91)

> We are setting up some back-door connections for local K-12 schools.
> I'm really unsure as to what I should do about naming for them.  It
> seems that schools are so commonly named that there will just be
> too many jefferson.edu's to make any sense of the matter.  Any ideas
> out there on a nice scheme?

How about using the US domain?  The schools could be given names like

   jefferson-hs.eugene.or.us

Suffixes other than -hs would be used for schools other than high
schools.

Roger Fajman                                   Telephone:  +1 301 402 1246
National Institutes of Health                  BITNET:     RAF@NIHCU
Bethesda, Maryland, USA                        Internet:   RAF@CU.NIH.GOV

dboyes@brazos.rice.edu (David Boyes) (06/16/91)

>dsmith> We are setting up some back-door connections for local K-12
>dsmith> schools.  I'm really unsure as to what I should do about
>dsmith> naming for them.  It seems that schools are so commonly named
>dsmith> that there will just be too many jefferson.edu's to make any
>dsmith> sense of the matter.  Any ideas out there on a nice scheme?

Another possibility is to register them in the .US domain and
handle MX and nameservice for eugene.OR.US. I don't remember
there being duplicate names for schools in Eugene.

(Hi, Dale!)

--
David Boyes       |The three most dangerous things in the world:
dboyes@rice.edu   |  1) a programmer with a soldering iron,
                  |  2) a hardware type with a program patch, and
"Delays, delays!" |  3) a user with an idea.

stjohns@UMD5.UMD.EDU ("Mike StJohns") (06/16/91)

Roger is exactly correct -

Although never really stated anywhere, the second level of the top-level
domains (specifically COM, EDU and ORG) should be for organizations that
are national or international in scope.  "Joe's Autobody Shop" of Duluth, MN
should under no circumstances be Joes-Auto.COM.

The US domain is for those things that are not wide in scope - this
fits the K-12 group perfectly.  I'm of a mind that the 2 year community
colleges should also be under the US domain - in case anyone asks.

The EDU domain is already too large - we need to move the stuff a little
bit further down the tree.  Mike