[comp.sys.zenith] z-248 to z-386 upgrade

larry@pyr1.acs.udel.EDU (Larry Larraga) (01/13/88)

In article <2766@catuc.UUCP> peter@catuc.UUCP (Peter Collins) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about an upgrade for the z-248 to turn it
>into a 386 machine?

I have the blurb from Zenith that describes the thing.  Here are some
highlights:

Zenith Data Systems is proud to announce the SuperSet upgrade kit for
Z-240 series computers.  The kit allows commercial owners including
business, industry and colleges to upgrade their Z-240 series computers
to a  Z-386 running at 16 Mhz, zero wait states.  The SuperSet Upgrade
provides a performance increase of over 200% by simply swapping 3 cards
and the 32-bit SuperSet backplane.

The SuperSet upgrade includes one 32-bit SuperSet backplane, one 32-bit
I/O card, 1 Mb of fast 32-bit memory, and the 32-bit CPU card including
sockets for the optional 80287 and 80387 math co-processors.

Retail price = $2699.00

Features:	* Enhanced Page-Mode RAMs
		* Burst Mode Refresh
		* "Slushware" - Increased system performance by copying
				slow 8-bit ROM BIOS code into 32-bit RAM.
		* Pipelining
		* 32-bit I/O and Memory Communications

[an additional glossy I have indicates you also get a fan to be installed
on the chassis.]

Note that this item has NOT appeared on the most current Zenith price list,
which means we can't order it yet, so delivery is still up in the air.

Larry Larraga            University of Delaware Microcomputing Resource Center
Senior Analyst           152 Newark Hall    Newark, DE  19716    (302)451-6782
INTERNET:  larry@pyr1.acs.udel.edu                   BITNET:  ACS26825@UDACSVM
COMPUSERVE:  76505,1426           GENIE:  XMP14851              PAN:  LSQUARED