[comp.sys.zenith] SIMMS in the new 386's

kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu (Kent Phelps) (12/01/89)

I know that this item may have been covered but I still have some questions.

Can standard SIMMs be used in the 20, 25, and 33 MHz 386's.  I have gotten
conflicting answers.  We have one of the 386SX's that we put regular 100nS
SIMMs into and it seems to be working fine.  One of our vendors says that
the 386SX and the 386/20 take standard SIMMs but the 25 and 33 MHz take a
special SIMM.  I haven't received a good answer from ZDS yet so I turn
to netlanders and their wealth of experience to guide me.  We are looking to
beef up the RAM in 20 386SX's and 20 386/20's so I need to make sure.
If standard SIMMs are used what speeds are needed in the different units and
if there is something special about the SIMMs I need what do I need to know
to make sure they work.

Thanx in advance.

--
     Kent Phelps        | Internet:  kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ... ????

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (12/07/89)

In article <21332@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu (Kent Phelps) writes:
>Can standard SIMMs be used in the 20, 25, and 33 MHz 386's.  I have gotten
>conflicting answers.  We have one of the 386SX's that we put regular 100nS
>SIMMs into and it seems to be working fine.  One of our vendors says that
>the 386SX and the 386/20 take standard SIMMs but the 25 and 33 MHz take a
>special SIMM.

I think that the 25MHz machine uses 80ns chips in the SIMMs.  Not sure whether
is anything else non-standard.

-sb

--
Stefan Brandle                  UUCP: ...!{obdient,uunet!tellab5}!wheaton!stefan