[comp.sys.zenith] New model Flat Tension Mask Monitor??

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (12/05/89)

I heard from the local H/Z store that Zenith is bringing out a new model of
the Flat Tension Mask monitor soon (this month?) that doesn't weigh nearly
as much and has the same capabilities.  Is any of this true?  I'm about to
purchase a handful of these, but I'm quite familiar with the WEIGHT of the
current model, and might hold off if something else was imminent...

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                            ** DISCLAIMER: It would
Washington Department of Fisheries              ** surprise me if the
Olympia, Washington  98504                      ** rest of the Department
Internet Mail: djo7613@blake.u.washington.edu   ** agreed with any of this!

In article <4752@blake.acs.washington.edu> djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) writes:

   I heard from the local H/Z store that Zenith is bringing out a new model of
   the Flat Tension Mask monitor soon (this month?) that doesn't weigh nearly
   as much and has the same capabilities.

Yes, they weigh less, they're smaller, the power switch is on the side,
and no fan!
-russ
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

fred@egrunix.UUCP (Manfred Prange) (12/05/89)

In article <4752@blake.acs.washington.edu> djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) writes:

>I heard from the local H/Z store that Zenith is bringing out a new model of
>the Flat Tension Mask monitor soon (this month?)

Yes, that's right. It should be out after Christmas. My local Zenith center
already has the glossies on this new beast - the ZCM-1492. The specs I have
on it are as follows: Dimensions: 12.25"H x 14.75"W x 14.95"D Weight: 37 lbs.

As far as image size, and capabilities go it looks like they haven't changed
anything. That may be good or bad, depending on how you see it. Rumor has
it that the ZCM-1492 also has no fan, so it should be quieter. I like
my 1490, but if I were buying new I'd wait. -MWP

dts@pwllheli.sw.stratus.com (Dan Senie) (12/06/89)

I saw the ZCM-1492 at COMDEX. Aside from eliminating a lot of weight and
the fan, the casing has changed in one significant way: the bezel around
the screen is better shaped and there is a wider black border. The
monitor is still VGA Only at 640x480.

smackey@rads32.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steven Mackey) (12/07/89)

>In article <4752@blake.acs.washington.edu> djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) writes:
>Yes, that's right. It should be out after Christmas. My local Zenith center
>already has the glossies on this new beast - the ZCM-1492. The specs I have
>on it are as follows: Dimensions: 12.25"H x 14.75"W x 14.95"D Weight: 37 lbs.

The Dec. 4 issue of InfoWorld lists the weight as 34 lbs. (it's getting lighter
all the time!) and states that the "suggested" price will be $999.
--
Steve Mackey

RRK0%LEHIGH.BITNET@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.EDU (12/07/89)

I understand ZDS has a new Model 1492 monitor; about seven pounds
lighter than the 1490.  Otherwise the specs on the two are pretty
much the same.  I think most of the weight savings was obtained by
eliminating the cooling fan assembly.