[comp.sys.zenith] Two Hard Drives on Z-241?

randy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Randy Seynaeve) (12/04/89)

I finally got tired of running out of disk space on my Z-241 computer
so I purchased a new ST-4096 to supplement my old reliable ST-4038.
Problem: Both drives work fine separately, but when I hook them both
up together my system has problems (ie. out to lunch).  I went through
numerous iterations of removing resistor packs, putting on resistor
packs, new cables, etc. with no luck.  During my college days I recall
someone else having the same problem with their Z-241 when trying to
add a second drive.  I don't recall them having any success.  Has
anyone else run into this problem, or is just my system?

Thanks,
Randy Seynaeve

In article <3520003@hpspcoi.HP.COM> randy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Randy Seynaeve) writes:
>I finally got tired of running out of disk space on my Z-241 computer
>so I purchased a new ST-4096 to supplement my old reliable ST-4038.
>Problem: Both drives work fine separately, but when I hook them both
>up together my system has problems (ie. out to lunch).

I don't have a 241, but I ran into a problem when adding a 4038 to
my Z-100.  If both drives work fine by themselves, I suspect that
you have to change a jumper that tells the drive which unit it
is.  Probably, both are set to  "0" since they each work fine alone.
Set the jumper for the new drive to the "1" position.  Use SETUP
to tell the 241 what drive is there.

My 4038 didn't come with documentation on this.  As I recall, the
jumpers are near the bottom on the rear of the drive.  There is
a set of 4 pairs of jumpers.  Probably, the jumper is on an end
pair (0); try moving it over to the next pair.

Disclaimer:  It's been three years since I did this and I don't
have documentation in front of me.  Not responsible for smoke & other
nastiness.

Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
Computer Science Dept.                   urbanluraimg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu
Michigan State University
A-714 Wells Hall                         (517) 353-0682   office
East Lansing, MI     48824               (517) 355-5210   department

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (12/07/89)

In article <3520003@hpspcoi.HP.COM> randy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Randy Seynaeve) writes:
>I finally got tired of running out of disk space on my Z-241 computer
>so I purchased a new ST-4096 to supplement my old reliable ST-4038.
>Problem: Both drives work fine separately, but when I hook them both
>up together my system has problems (ie. out to lunch).

Somebody tried adding an ST-4096 to one of our Z386 machines and ran into
problems.  After getting helpful vendor suggestions (like buy our hard disk
instead, it cost 3x as much but will work nicely) we called Seagate and they
said to pull some jumper on the ST-4096 (something to do with timing) and lo
and behold, it worked like a charm.  Unfortunately, I don't have the
information available.  Call Seagate.

-sb
--
---------------------------------------------- MA Bell: (708) 260-5019 ---------
Stefan Brandle                  UUCP: ...!{obdient,uunet!tellab5}!wheaton!stefan

randy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Randy Seynaeve) (12/07/89)

> I don't have a 241, but I ran into a problem when adding a 4038 to
> my Z-100.  If both drives work fine by themselves, I suspect that
> you have to change a jumper that tells the drive which unit it
> is.  Probably, both are set to  "0" since they each work fine alone.
> Set the jumper for the new drive to the "1" position.  Use SETUP
> to tell the 241 what drive is there.

> My 4038 didn't come with documentation on this.  As I recall, the
> jumpers are near the bottom on the rear of the drive.  There is
> a set of 4 pairs of jumpers.  Probably, the jumper is on an end
> pair (0); try moving it over to the next pair.

The documentation that came with the system said that both hard drives
need their jumpers set to device select 2 (third position).  The
twist in the 34 wire flat cable decodes which control signal goes
to which drive.

The documentation also didn't mention anything about removing resistor
packs.  Does anybody know if this is necessary?  The doc says something
about removing the pack when adding a second floppy, but nothing about
what to do on a second hard drive.

laz@clutx.clarkson.edu (Lazarus Long,,,) (12/09/89)

> The documentation also didn't mention anything about removing resistor
> packs.  Does anybody know if this is necessary?  The doc says something
> about removing the pack when adding a second floppy, but nothing about
> what to do on a second hard drive.

YES!! the only hard drive that wants to have a resistor pack is the drive
on the end of the data cable...

* Matt Parker / Laz Long   * Be wary of strong drink, it can make you     *
* 11 Lawrence Ave          *    shoot at tax collectors... AND MISS!      *
* Potsdam, NY  13676       *        R.A.H. - The notebooks of Lazarus Long*
*   (315)-265-3763   Laz@clvm.clarkson.edu  parkerm@clutx.clarkson.edu