[comp.sys.zenith] zenith sucks

prove@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Ove) (12/05/89)

Think twice before buying anything from this company (Zenith).
In June I bought a zenith machine, directly from zenith,
in a package that included a mouse (Logitech) and some
software.  There were some delays because the monitors had not
yet been manufactured.  They never sent the mouse.  They send
out these cards listing items that are back-ordered, and offer
to refund if you don't want to wait.  So I called them to see
what the refund would be.  The answer: $0.00.  They told me
that they consider the mouse a free addition to the package
(they sold them without mice once).  A quote: "you would have
bought the package if there was no mouse included, wouldn't you?"
Unbelievable.  They also told me that there are 2000 such mouse
backorders, so quite a few people have been waiting longer than
me.  These mice are not in short supply.  Perhaps they could
make even more money if they considered the computer a free
addition to the mouse.

This was the third zenith machine I had bought. Needless to say
I will never buy another one.  Any suggestions on getting even
with them would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Roger Ove, ove@ncsa.uiuc.edu

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (12/06/89)

In article <9390@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> prove@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Ove) writes:
>Think twice before buying anything from this company (Zenith).
>In June I bought a zenith machine, directly from zenith,

(much of article trimmed out)

>This was the third zenith machine I had bought. Needless to say
>I will never buy another one.  Any suggestions on getting even
>with them would be greatly appreciated.

Amazing.  Yes, I have a suggestion; make them pony up.  It's sometimes
surprising what a company will do when you refuse to take their word as
final.  I've gotten excellent response from my local H/Z store and from
the Zenith regional people when I thought they short-changed me on
*any*thing, including a Flat Tension Mask monitor that just couldn't
be adjusted to my preference (I got a new one in a strsight swap).

Wish I had my phone list; someone in Glenview should *roast* for this
snafu, if it's as simple as it seems.  I'll pass on the story to one or
two others who may be able to comment and/or act on Roger's behalf.
Don't take any BULLE from ZDS, if at all possible!

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                            ** DISCLAIMER: It would
Washington Department of Fisheries              ** surprise me if the
Olympia, Washington  98504                      ** rest of the Department
Internet Mail: djo7613@blake.u.washington.edu   ** agreed with any of this!

ARRITT@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (What a waste it is to lose one's mind.) (12/06/89)

In article <9390@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, prove@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Ove) writes:
> Think twice before buying anything from this company (Zenith).
> In June I bought a zenith machine, directly from zenith,
> in a package that included a mouse (Logitech) and some
> software.  There were some delays because the monitors had not
> yet been manufactured.  They never sent the mouse.  They send

[...etc.]

> This was the third zenith machine I had bought. Needless to say
> I will never buy another one.  Any suggestions on getting even
> with them would be greatly appreciated.

When I ordered my Zenith a few months ago, they also originally shorted me
for the mouse and Windows.  After complaining, they ponied up fairly quickly.

Zenith has the state contract for our pc's, and in general their service has
been poor.  The biggest problem is LONG delays in shipping, especially for
peripherals, etc. (2 months to get a serial port).  So I can certainly
sympathize with your attitude toward Zenith.

Ways on "getting even" depend on who you are and whether your voice will be
heard.  If you're just John Q. Public, I suspect Zenith doesn't give a damn.
However, if you're in any position of authority (read: able to commit
institutional $), businesses will listen closely.  This might be University
faculty, system administrator, chief programmer, etc.  If you aren't any of
these people, maybe you can find a sympathetic ear amongst one of them.

The thing to do is to write a sharply worded letter to your chief purchasing
authority, with a copy to Zenith.  Send the copy to someone high up the ladder
at Zenith, NOT to your local store.  A good idea is to send one copy to
corporate headquarters and another to the regional sales office.  In your
letter, explain that Zenith has not fulfilled their legal obligations and that
this has placed a serious impediment to your (research, teaching, customer
service, software development, or whatever) mission at your institution.  For
this reason, you recommend that your institution does not do business with
Zenith until they demonstrate that they are willing and capable of fulfilling
their contractural obligations.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE EMOTIONAL LANGUAGE IN YOUR LETTER.  You
are simply stating a fact and stating why Zenith's performance (or lack
thereof) is impairing your institution (or company's) mission.  Keep your
letter as short as possible -- two paragraphs max.  Also ask the person to
reply within 30 days as to what action has been taken to remedy the
situation.

Given the nature of corporate/institutional bureaucracy, you may need to write
a follow-up letter.  Do it.  If they know you won't just go away, you are much
more likely to eventually get satisfaction.  Persistence pays.

Good luck.

-- Ray Arritt

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (12/09/89)

From article <4773@blake.acs.washington.edu>, by djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor):
> Wish I had my phone list; someone in Glenview should *roast* for this
> snafu, if it's as simple as it seems.  I'll pass on the story to one or

On a somewhat related note:  didn't Zenith just get bought by a bunch of
French guys, or was I kinda fuzzy when I was reading my chum's PC Rag?
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@fergvax.unl.edu		USnail:  115 Nebraska Union
BITnet:   cosx001@UNLCDC3			 Lincoln, NE 68588-0461

fargo@pawl.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (12/10/89)

Just to add my $2 worth....

I have been having problems no end with Zenith.

Over the summer, my Zenith Z-248-12 had a disk crash.  It was under warranty,
so I brought it in and they gave me a new drive.  Coupla weeks later, the
thing crashes again.  I bring it back in and they reaplce almost every compo-
nent in the machine to get it to work again.  By this time, my original 1
year warranty had run out.  When I finally got the machine back (it got ship-
ped to someplace in Michigan!), I found that they gave me a new version of
the motherboard with new BIOS and no documentation on it.  For example, my
tech. ref. says that when you put 6 Mb of memory into the machine, you should
change jumper J102.  My board doesn't have a J102, it has 3 solder spots where
J102 is supposed to be.  (I eventually found out that I had to set J103)
Well, anyways, a couple weeks after I got the machine back, it died again.
My local Zenith dealer sent in some service people.  They replaced almost
every part in the machine and still haven't gotten the machine working.  They
have to wait until they get a new motherboard in as they believe that all the
boards they have in are faulty

I too would like to get the phone numbers of a few of the higher ups in ZDS
'cause I'm getting f*cking tired of this fiasco.
   Ethan Young

--
Thank you and happy hunting!             Actually: Ethan M. Young
  ____ [> SB <]    "Travel IS life"      Internet: fargo@pawl.rpi.edu

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (12/10/89)

We had a Zenith EGA monitor at work that went bad out of warranty, but
which could be repaired under our university's service contract. Alas,
our service people waited months for the correct part; and when it came
the part number was correct but the actual part was wrong. A third
party repairer could not repair it. Finally, after about nine months,
Zenith just replaced the monitor. Although the repair service loaned
us a CGA monitor during the down period, it was extremely inconvenient.
Initially, Zenith had insisted that the local repair service do all
repairs, and would not even accept it.
   On questioning, the university repair person even said that occas-
ionally Zenith laptops have to wait months for repair parts.
   Perhaps Bulle will improve the Zenith support situation. It's no
wonder Zenith wins bids for government contracts -- perhaps they cut
corners on money for support.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (12/12/89)

In article <910@unocss..unl.edu>, ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes...
>On a somewhat related note:  didn't Zenith just get bought by a bunch of
>French guys, or was I kinda fuzzy when I was reading my chum's PC Rag?

Funny you should ask.  Groupe Bull of France (the folks who bought
Honeywell IS) has made an arrangement to buy ZDS from Zenith Corp.
The sale hasn't gone through yet; the desk clerk at our local Heathkit
store said it would likely be consummated around the new year.  As
you may recall, Heathkit is part of ZDS.  So Bull will now be in the
audio, test, weather, ham radio and miscellaneous equipment business
too.

No jokes about Multics kits, okay?  Bad enough that a company named
"Bull" uses that name in an Anglophone country.
       fred