[comp.sys.zenith] Z-386 memory: no concern for users

krause@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (12/09/89)

Well, this is it.  I just heard from a mail-order place that specializes
in Zenith computers that Zenith is discontinuing the memory boards for
the old 16MHz Z-386 line.  Can anyone confirm that this is true?
I've been calling around, and only one place said they could get them
(a Heathkit store) but they claimed a list of $3000 for 4MB.

Up until now, I've been a Heath/Zenith fan.  When I'd see messages going
by flaming Zenith, I've thought, "Gee, an isolated incident."

I'm rethinking.  I've heard too many complaints lately, and when I look at
a few things that happened to me, I see a pattern emerging: Zenith doesn't
care about its small customers.  If you're not the Air Force, forget it.
Dropping memory support for a relatively recent computer model just tops
it.  Hey, I can get memory for a near-antique IBM PC-XT!!  Phooey.

James Krause

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (12/11/89)

In article <33600004@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> krause@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

>Well, this is it.  I just heard from a mail-order place that specializes
>in Zenith computers that Zenith is discontinuing the memory boards for
>the old 16MHz Z-386 line.  Can anyone confirm that this is true?
>I've been calling around, and only one place said they could get them
>(a Heathkit store) but they claimed a list of $3000 for 4MB.

Shoot!  I have one of those 386-16s and work on a second one.  While both
the machines have been expanded to 5Mb, I think it has pretty much gone to
waste.  While most of my programming is in C and Turbo Pascal, I just can't
see spending the time to learn the gyrations necessary to access the expanded
extended memormy.  I much prefer the Unix or the Mac or the Amiga to do any
thing that \requires that I grab/malloc more than 640K.  Yeah, I know
that's my problem, but then again that is my solution.  Well, keeping with
the subject line, If any one is so foolish to buy a 32bit memory board for
that price, you deserve what you get.  The two expansion baoards we have
both are 4 Mb, cost ~$1800 a piece.  For $3000 you might as well sell that
piece of junk and buy a different brand clone.  At least other brands
kknow how to expand memory painlessly i.e. SIMMs.  Yes I know that Zenith
now uses SIMMs.

--
 Bill Murphy        murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET (12/12/89)

In article <33600004@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, krause@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu says:

>Well, this is it.  I just heard from a mail-order place that specializes
>in Zenith computers that Zenith is discontinuing the memory boards for
>the old 16MHz Z-386 line.  Can anyone confirm that this is true?
>I've been calling around, and only one place said they could get them
>(a Heathkit store) but they claimed a list of $3000 for 4MB.

[...]
>James Krause

Yes, I would like to know if this is true as well.  Is there any place
to get _reasonable_ alternatives if this is true, or are we just stuck
with 16-bit AT memory?  We have two 1-MB 16MHz Z-386s that are in dire
need of memory expansion!  HELP!

(LIGHT FLAME ON)
(picture of Lucy pulling the ball back as Charlie Brown kicks! 8-O)
Aaaargh!
(FLAME OFF)

-------
 -- Noel Maddy                          Bitnet: ythprgdb@mtus5
'...moore input...'                     Snail: 210 Vivian
      - Number Johnny Five                     Hancock, MI  49930

kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu (Kent Phelps) (12/12/89)

I have not checked directly with the regional ZDS office yet but our educational
sales rep says that there a plenty of Z386/16 memory cards and there should be
for a while.  I would be surprised if they pulled the rug out from under us so
quickly.  They didn't discontinue the Z-445 card until a year and a half after
the stopped making the 248.  Just to be safe every one should call their region
office and inquire about price and availability so they know we are still
interested.

--
     Kent Phelps        | Internet:  kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ... ????