[comp.sys.zenith] RAM for Zenith 386/33 Mhz

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (01/11/90)

Can anyone please recommend a source for fast 32 bit RAM SIMMS for
the Zenith 386 / 33MHz.  The local Zenith agent charges HUGE
markups for this, and even they are looking for a better source.

RAM prices have plummeted recently, but of course the Zenith RAM is
a little different -- I believe that it has a ninth bit for parity.

ANy pointers?

Ta.

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul

claude@saturn.ucsc.edu (Claude Noshpitz) (01/12/90)

In article <351@csnz.co.nz> paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:

>Can anyone please recommend a source for fast 32 bit RAM SIMMS for
>the Zenith 386 / 33MHz.  The local Zenith agent charges HUGE
>markups for this, and even they are looking for a better source.
>
>RAM prices have plummeted recently, but of course the Zenith RAM is
>a little different -- I believe that it has a ninth bit for parity.

The RAM needed is somewhat exotic static-column, etc. and definitely
NOT 'standard' clone stuff.  I obtained some at around 40% of Zenith's
price from a company called Unitex located in Tustin, CA.  They were
helpful, courteous, and prompt.  They advertise in Byte; my invoice
provides an 'international' phone # (714) 730-6795.  Good Luck!

Claude

easton@andrews.edu (Jeff Easton) (01/14/90)

In article <10284@saturn.ucsc.edu>, claude@saturn.ucsc.edu (Claude Noshpitz) writes:
> In article <351@csnz.co.nz> paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
> >
> >   [Stuff about parity RAM being non standard]

  Whats so different about that?  Most IBM compatibles except those
trying to save the cost of one RAM chip use parity.
  The /20, /25, and /33 machines use STANDARD x36 SIMM's (JEDEC standard
I think).  Most other 32 bit PC compatibles use these SIMM's as well.
They save alot of real estate on the mother board.  Instead of upgrading
with four x9 SIMM's at a time this system requires only one SIMM at a time.

> The RAM needed is somewhat exotic static-column, etc. and definitelyO
> NOT 'standard' clone stuff.  I obtained some at around 40% of Zenith's

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!  The only ZDS machine to use static column mode
DRAM's was the 0 Wait State Z248 (the goverment version wasnt 0 ws).
All other versions use the more popular Enhanced Page Mode or just
Page Mode DRAM's

> Claude

Jeff Easton             Zenith Data Systems
Systems Engineer        OEM Engineering
easton@andrews.edu   -or-
...uunet!zds-asg!zds-oem!easton
 I'd rather be Water Skiing...