[comp.sys.zenith] Hard drive upgrade for Zenith 181

DCS100@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Schweisguth) (02/21/90)

Hello, all.

I'm a Zenith novice who is looking for a hard drive (external or internal)
that can be connected to a Zenith 181 (model #ZFL-181-93, to be specific).
After an exciting morning on the phone I've discovered that there was indeed
such a beast, but it has been discontinued and is no longer available from
Heath.

My question is, therefore: Is there anywhere that I can find this product?
Any suggestions for a source or for alternate solutions would be most welcome.

Please reply by mail to the address below. Apologies if I've asked a question
that's already been beaten to death around here, or if I've transgressed
against local posting conventions. I deal with Zeniths strictly at work and
don't normally read this group ... I should probably get my boss to.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
/                                                                             \
| Dave Schweisguth            Home: 814-862-0806    dcs100@psuvm.psu.edu      |
| 406 Althouse Laboratory     Work: 814-863-2791    America Online: Von Mordo |
| University Park, PA 16802   FAX:  814-865-2413    GEnie: D.SCHWEISGUT       |
|   "If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he entitled to    |
|    happiness?                                     -- Stanislaw Jerzy Lec    |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) (02/24/90)

In article <90052.104012DCS100@psuvm.psu.edu> DCS100@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Schweisguth) writes:
>I'm a Zenith novice who is looking for a hard drive (external or internal)
>that can be connected to a Zenith 181 (model #ZFL-181-93, to be specific).
>After an exciting morning on the phone I've discovered that there was indeed
>such a beast, but it has been discontinued and is no longer available from
>Heath.
>
>My question is, therefore: Is there anywhere that I can find this product?
>Any suggestions for a source or for alternate solutions would be most welcome.
>
>Please reply by mail to the address below. Apologies if I've asked a question
>that's already been beaten to death around here, or if I've transgressed
>against local posting conventions. I deal with Zeniths strictly at work and
>don't normally read this group ... I should probably get my boss to.

Well, I'll respond by mail, but as this may be generally useful, I'll post,
as well.

There's a magazine dedicated to the laptop market called Portable Computing.
It's published by IDG Communications, and is dedicated to all the issues
surrounding portable computers--new systems, features, reviews, add-on
products, etc.  They seem a bit accepting of the high prices the portables
command, but otherwise are a decent forum for this area.  In particular, as
is common with narrow-spectrum publications, the ads are as valuable as the
commentary; although their periodic coverage of the available machines,
costs, and capabilities seem invaluable for anyone considering getting into
or changing laptops.  If anyone is interested, these numbers show up in the
inside cover:

	Eastern Regional Sales Manager: Michael Welsh Carroll
	(800) 441-4403, (603) 924-0100

	Western Regional Sales Manager: Randy Byers
	(415) 363-5200

	Marketplace Sales Representative: MaryPat Farr
	(800) 441-4403, (603) 924-0100

I suspect these are primarily concerned with sales and ads, but could direct
you to subscription.  Also, the bingo cards for subscribing offer 12 issues
(monthly) for $24.97; sent to Portable Computing, P.O. Box 842, Farmingdale,
NY  11737-9942.

To specifically answer your question, a quick perusal of the March 1990 issue
shows the following advertising external hard drives and Zenith in the same
ink:
	Computer Options Unlimited, (201) 469-7678
	Micronet Computer Systems Inc., (213) 921-0068

There is also an ad for a hard drive that runs off the RS-232 port (!):
	Weltec Digital, (800) 333-5155 or (714) 669-1955

Finally, in closing, I've nothing to do with Portable Computing other than
having a subscription...

		Dave Ihnat
		ignatz@homebru.chi.il.us (preferred return address)
		ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us