[comp.sys.zenith] memory help

pilgrim@grafted.UUCP (Mike Phillips) (05/02/90)

bezenek@plains.UUCP (Todd M. Bezenek KO0N) writes:

> I own a Zenith 386 with 4 Meg of memory.  Could someone please tell
> me how to actually use all 4 Meg of my memory?
> Thank you,
> --
> Todd Michael Bezenek, KO0N
>          bezenek@plains.nodak.edu
> UUCP:    uunet!plains!bezenek
> Bitnet:  bezenek@plains
>          NU040889@ndsuvm1

  First, it depends on the OS you are intending to use.  With MS-DOS, o
or DOS for the Zenith, you have a few choices.  You can configure all of it
as expanded memory (which is tooooo slow) or extended.  I personally use
extended, and use zcache for a 1 Meg cache, and use Vdisk for a 1Meg Ram
Drive.  Then I copy my Batch files and some utils to the RamDrive, as well
as setting Temp=D:\ (the ramdrive).  I am afraid I am only experienced with
DOS... you would need a 'real' OS to honestly use your 4 MEG of RAM.
Something like Xenix, Unix, or OS2, though I'm sure many will bite on one,
the other, or all three.  Good luck!