[comp.sys.zenith] Parity Memory Error

banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Wailin' Through The Nets) (05/03/90)

	My z-159 has been slightly flaky over the last several months.
	Since I've replaced the CPU and switched to 4dos, I assumed that
	it was my problem.  However, running 'ramtest' by Brown Bag
	indicated that I had a parity error.  The program claimed the error
	was in the parity chip of the third bank of chips.  Which chip
	is the parity chip?

				post or mail, I read the group
				banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (05/03/90)

In article <3022@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Wailin' Through The Nets) writes:
> 	was in the parity chip of the third bank of chips.  Which chip
> 	is the parity chip?

Usually, the parity chip is the last chip of bank.  In your specific case,
Z-159, check the chip ID numbers.  They must be increasing in some orderly
fashion.  The last one on the third bank should be it.

There exist a piece of software called CheckIt from Performance Computer
Diagnostics (813) 443-1331, that will actually draw a picture of the bank,
and visually isolate that bad chip.

I hope this helps...

Michel Biedermann	michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu
Zenith Data Systems
U. of Oregon
Student Representative

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (05/04/90)

Check it out with the Zenith ROM-Based test routines. Press a
CTL>ALT>INS; at the prompt write "TEST", then choose memory test
from the menu. Let the test run thru a couple or three times, and note
any error messages. This is the DEFINITIVE diagnostic routine for Zenith
Z159.
Bob M., PSU-Harrisburg.

banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Wailin' Through The Nets) (05/05/90)

In article <90123.181605RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Check it out with the Zenith ROM-Based test routines. Press a
>CTL>ALT>INS; at the prompt write "TEST", then choose memory test
>from the menu. Let the test run thru a couple or three times, and note
>any error messages. This is the DEFINITIVE diagnostic routine for Zenith
>Z159.

	I've run this before, often overnight, without any problems
	but it seemed to me that it was only testing the first bank
	of RAM and not the entire memory.  Is this correct?  Will
	TEST check EMS memory once it is installed?

	My impression that it was only checking the first bank was watching
	TEST run before and after I added a bank of memory.

			banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (05/07/90)

<90123.181605RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> <3104@darkstar.ucsc.edu>

My impression is that TEST checks out all memory. I have a Z-159, started out w
ith what?? 768K ???, and have since filled the memory board up -- now I
have 1.2megs.  Seems to me that TEST runs through more banks now than it did
before.  I've never noted all the addresses before & after, so I could be wrong
.  Bob M., PSU-Harrisburg.