[comp.sys.zenith] Windows 3.0 and Zenith 386

paiva@athena.mit.edu (Rodrigo A Depaiva) (07/01/90)

I have a Zenith 386 16 MHz and I am having problems with Windows 3.0. When
I am using the program in real mode I always get the message:
ERROR: MEMORY PARITY FAILURE
In the enhanced mode the program works fine, do you have any guess for
what is going on? Is the Zenith computer incompatible with Windows 3.0? (in
the real mode!)

Rodrigo Paiva
MIT - Cambridge

djo7613@hardy.u.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (07/02/90)

In article <1990Jun30.231442.24766@athena.mit.edu> paiva@athena.mit.edu (Rodrigo A Depaiva) writes:

>I have a Zenith 386 16 MHz and I am having problems with Windows 3.0. When
>I am using the program in real mode I always get the message:
>ERROR: MEMORY PARITY FAILURE
>In the enhanced mode the program works fine, do you have any guess for
>what is going on? Is the Zenith computer incompatible with Windows 3.0? (in
>the real mode!)

There have been several of these postings recently, so I emailed a ZDS
engineer who occasionally monitors this traffic to seek his opinion.  They
haven't had any problems with Win 3.0 beyond getting it to coexist with
Novell in the office he works in.  But he noted that they were working with
Zenith's version of Win 3.0, not the generic MSDOS version.

Maybe there's some important distinction between the two.  Any knowledgable
folks care to comment and/or tell us Z owners how we go about getting
the RIGHT stuff? :)

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                         djo7613@u.washington.edu
Washington Department of Fisheries           *I brake for salmonids*