[comp.sys.zenith] Windows 3 upgrade mailing from Zenith

djo7613@hardy.u.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (08/17/90)

We've already responded to the first ZDS mailing concerning the $49 offer
to get Windows 3 on some of our Z248 machines.  I recall reading that some
Z-machine owners out there never got the mailing, even though they have a
(registered ?) copy of Windows on their machine.  The second go-round of
mailings has begun, and I've got some duplicate forms now.  If you feel
you qualify, but were overlooked in the mailout, let me know and I'll
send you one of my extras.  This offer good until I run out, and I only
have 2-3 of these left!

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                         djo7613@u.washington.edu
Washington Department of Fisheries           *I brake for salmonids*

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (08/19/90)

Is there any *sense* purchasing Windows 3.0 for a system that lacks extended
memory? I want multi-tasking, but I *think* i need extended memory & a 386
processor to get it, right?

michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (08/20/90)

In article <90230.151640RFM@psuvm.psu.edu>, RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> Is there any *sense* purchasing Windows 3.0 for a system that lacks extended
> memory? I want multi-tasking, but I *think* i need extended memory & a 386
> processor to get it, right?

If you own a 8088/PC/XT machine, Windows 3.0 will run in real mode which is
640K for Windows and the application.

If you own a 286/386 with at least 256K of extended memory, Windows will run in
standard mode which means that Windows and its applications can share all of
the RAM.  Windows 3.0 specific applications can even break the 640K barrier
this way.

If you own a 386 with at least 2Mb of extended memory, Windows will run in
enhanced mode which means that Windows can provide multitasking, even among
DOS applications, virtual memory, and all that applies to the standard mode.

I hope this helps...

Michel Biedermann	michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu
U. of Oregon
Zenith Data Systems
Campus Representative

ralph@unifybb.uucp (Florida State U./ISPA) (08/22/90)

        I want to upgrade my Zenith PC-XT Model 159 to a 386 machine
capable of running some version of the Unix operating system, preferably
SCO Unix.

        How can I about doing this, and how much is it going to cost me?

Mailing address

BNetRB@%FSU.BITNET@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu    Internet
BNetRB@RAI.CC.FSU.EDU                 BITNet