[comp.sys.zenith] Replacement screen for Zenith laptop

cchin@weber.ucsd.edu (Chet Chin) (10/10/90)

The screen on my Zenith laptop (ZFL 181-92) looks about ready to expire, and
I'm thinking of replacing it.  Does anyone know how much a replacement screen
for this Zenith model would cost, and where I can get one, particularly in the
San Diego area?

Thank you.

Chet Chin
UC San Diego

RON@psuvm.psu.edu (10/11/90)

In article <3838@network.ucsd.edu>, cchin@weber.ucsd.edu (Chet Chin) says:

>The screen on my Zenith laptop (ZFL 181-92) looks about ready to expire, and
>I'm thinking of replacing it.  Does anyone know how much a replacement screen
>for this Zenith model would cost, and where I can get one, particularly in the

I cracked the screen on my 181-92 and it is totally destroyed. I checked
with Zenith parts and a new one costs about $700 (this was last March
or so) so I am now using my machine with an external monitor and trying
to find a used, possibly broken machine with a good screen I can
salvage. At $700 dollars, you might as well buy a new machine.

Ron McCarty
(814) 825-3678

djo7613@hardy.u.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (10/12/90)

In article <90284.101624RON@psuvm.psu.edu> RON@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>In article <3838@network.ucsd.edu>, cchin@weber.ucsd.edu (Chet Chin) says:
>>
>>The screen on my Zenith laptop (ZFL 181-92) looks about ready to expire, and
>>I'm thinking of replacing it.  Does anyone know how much a replacement screen
>>for this Zenith model would cost, and where I can get one, particularly in the
>
>I cracked the screen on my 181-92 and it is totally destroyed. I checked
>with Zenith parts and a new one costs about $700 (this was last March
>or so) so I am now using my machine with an external monitor and trying
>to find a used, possibly broken machine with a good screen I can
>salvage. At $700 dollars, you might as well buy a new machine.
>
>Ron McCarty
>(814) 825-3678

.start plug

At $300, you CAN buy a new machine from the COM1 Bargain Centre.  Simply
join the Heath/Zenith User's Group for about $30 annually, which gets
you the monthly REMark magazine and access to the COM1 BBS, located in
Michigan.  Sporadically, the User's Group offices get shipments of all
manner of electrically tested and sound computer equipment that they sell
first come first served via sales that are not announced in advance.  I
know I've see 181-model machines for around that price.  My brother
just bought one of the 286 SuperSport machines for $800, and last December
I picked up a 248/12 (the fast AT clone) with a 40 MB hard disk, single
3.5 floppy and 1 MB RAM for $1100.  Shoot, I could have had a 386SX
machine for that price if I'd waited until August.  Next time I see one
of those $50 VGA monochrome monitors, it's MINE!

Yes, they take plastic, or you can send a check (ordered equipment is held
on "layaway" for ten days).  No, they can't give factory-new guarantees,
and in fact term the equipment "as is".  But everything is guaranteed
electrically, and the failure rate is under 5%.  I haven't had a single
problem, and I would recommend the Bargain Centre without hesitation for
those looking for spare parts or backup machines.

.end plug

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                         djo7613@u.washington.edu
Washington Department of Fisheries           *I brake for salmonids*